• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Religion in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade, as obvious in the title, has heavy influence of Christianity in it. The title is a give-away.

Also, towards the end of the FMA (yes, Tony, it's FMA -[I could care less]), although I forget what episode, spoiler[I believe Hohenheim refers to Christianity, calling it the "Ancient Religion". Basically, Christianity was replaced by Leto (episodes 1-2).]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Unless things change drastically from what those of us watching the Cartoon Network run have seen so far, I'd take Trinity Blood's depiction of the Catholic church so far with a grain of salt. spoiler[The series presents women being able to rise in the ranks as far as men, and lightly suggests that the clergy is no longer banned from having relationships. The Catholics seem rather far from getting to that point anytime soon.].

Actually the Catholic church did allow marriage and relationships from the start. The secular law was put into affect around the dark ages and that general time period. The 16-1700's or so. Not sure on time frame. What was happening was you had cardinals, bishops, and even the pope passing on their role and job through their children. There were no more elections it simply started going through bloodlines. To prevent this and from the church becoming even worse off the secular law was put into affect. This way they wouldn't have that problem anymore. Many of the more liberal and modern catholic officials have thought about having that revoked. There isn't much chance of it happening now in modern society. So up until that point priests and the like could marry.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
Chrono Crusade, as obvious in the title, has heavy influence of Christianity in it. The title is a give-away.

Also, towards the end of the FMA (yes, Tony, it's FMA), although I forget what episode, spoiler[I believe Hohenheim refers to Christianity, calling it the "Ancient Religion". Basically, Christianity was replaced by Leto (episodes 1-2).]

But Christians do not run around using guns to shoot demons. Razz Twisted Evil

Speaking of which - plenty of such characters carry the gospel with some guns handy - particularly Wolfwood. Anime hyper
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Also, from what I've read about the Middle Ages, there didn't seem to be much eye batting when the male clergy kept mistresses or fathered out-of-wedlock children. The attitude towards that seems to have ranged from a don't ask don't tell policy to outright acceptance.

Yes, I'm aware that the clergy - at least the male clergy - were allowed to marry early on (Peter had a mother-in-law, after all), and obviously I'm referring to the current situation. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Also, from what I've read about the Middle Ages, there didn't seem to be much eye batting when the male clergy kept mistresses or fathered out-of-wedlock children. The attitude towards that seems to have ranged from a don't ask don't tell policy to outright acceptance.

Yes, I'm aware that the clergy - at least the male clergy - were allowed to marry early on (Peter had a mother-in-law, after all), and obviously I'm referring to the current situation. Very Happy

Wasn't trying to critisize you just so you know. Most people honestly just don't know that about the Catholic Church's history.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Addressing your second point, people will twist any ideology or belief to further their own goals. It's just as unfair to label all Christians as megalomaniacs as it is to label all Muslims as terrorists. In fact, I would venture to say that it's lazy and irresponsible to make such statements. In any case, ANN isn't a place to get involved in debate about politics or religion, but about anime, so I won't go any deeper into the subject.

Where exactly did I say anything along the lines of Christians being megalomaniacal? After Rome fell, the Christian Church is what took over Europe as the super power. They initiated the Crusades to wipe other religions (specifically Muslims and "heretics"). Considering that Gregory VII placed the Pope as a divine authority capable of deposing emperors and that princes should grovel at his feet I'd say that during the Medieval times the church seemed pretty megalomaniacal (and keep in mind that you said it first, not me).

And how is saying that a certain religion pretty much took over the known world a twisting of idealologies? At best it was an oversimplification of fact. And what goals do you think I had in mind? I'm not a fan of religion (In fact I quite openly hate a large portion of it as it is represented) but I'm not anti-religion. Or was that just some odd, ambiguous statement regarding the more unpleasant things that have been done in the name of religion? I want to get into a religious debate even less than you do because I honestly could not give less of a crap about it but don't put words in my mouth.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
As Kelly touched upon, religious "influences" in anime are not credible at all in portraying the religion accurately, and it's not like they're trying to either. It's a theme to play on popular myths and legends (ie. vampire) to make profit.

On the other hand, there are plenty of Shinto influences in tons of anime. Everytime you see some character praying at a temple or shrine for good luck is reference to Shinto influence. The character could be praying to a cross, or a Buddha, or any other object but no, it's a bell with a rope tied to it and that's the sign of influence, not mere usage-for-profit.

To answer the original question, religion isn't serious in Japan. Many Japanese believe and practice multiple religions and so religion hasn't played a major part in the history of Japan as it did in Europe.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
To answer the original question, religion isn't serious in Japan. Many Japanese believe and practice multiple religions and so religion hasn't played a major part in the history of Japan as it did in Europe.

I'd say thats more inflammatory than what I said in my first post. Basically because they don't limit themselves to one religion you're essentially labelling their practices as invalid? I find it tiresome to repeatedly argue every post someone makes but try and be more tactful in what you say.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Cyborg 009 wrote:

Also, towards the end of the FMA (yes, Tony, it's FMA), although I forget what episode, spoiler[I believe Hohenheim refers to Christianity, calling it the "Ancient Religion". Basically, Christianity was replaced by Leto (episodes 1-2).]

Speaking of which - plenty of such characters carry the gospel with some guns handy - particularly Wolfwood. Anime hyper

Hey, they were exorcists. It's not like I'm going to run into a demon with a blessed knife. Guns fire rapidly. Very Happy
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Wasn't trying to critisize you just so you know. Most people honestly just don't know that about the Catholic Church's history.

It's all good psycho. I got the intention and spirit of your post (which I tried to convey with my Very Happy ) and know you weren't trying to criticize. In fact, I always welcome elaboration by people who know more about a subject than I do - I like to learn. No offense taken at all.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

It's all good psycho. I got the intention and spirit of your post (which I tried to convey with my Very Happy ) and know you weren't trying to criticize. In fact, I always welcome elaboration by people who know more about a subject than I do - I like to learn. No offense taken at all.

Well since ya like to learn, and this is a religion post, I'll throw in one tidbit of info most people don't know. You probably know what the Spear of Logenus (not sure how to spell him name correctly by biblical terms) is, also known as the Spear of Destiny. The Spear used by the Roman soldier Logenus is what actually killed Christ, not being nailed to the cross. He was dammed to an eternity of suffering for his deeds. The spear, whatever shape it's in after all this time, was found actually. It was found by a little ole man that went by the name of Adolf Hitler. Hitler was HUGE into religion and the occult. The nazis were the ones to actually find the spear, which now resides in Vatican City where no one will get to see it. This bit of info was imparted on to me by a well respected Catholic Priest. He's actually a Cardinal and not just some priest.

I'll comment on this little quote by Blindassassin
Quote:

Where exactly did I say anything along the lines of Christians being megalomaniacal? After Rome fell, the Christian Church is what took over Europe as the super power. They initiated the Crusades to wipe other religions (specifically Muslims and "heretics"). Considering that Gregory VII placed the Pope as a divine authority capable of deposing emperors and that princes should grovel at his feet I'd say that during the Medieval times the church seemed pretty megalomaniacal (and keep in mind that you said it first, not me).

Actually it was the Catholic church that took over, not just Christians in general, which is why to this day Catholics, like myself, get a bad name. Well it's one of the many reasons. I am a very religious man but I don't conform to religion. "What the hell did he just say?" I'll elaborate. I have my views, my opinions on what "God" is and what he/she (no discrimination) means to me. I think over all that most religions, as they practice currently, fall short. They're not supposed to tell you what to do or how to act. They're supposed to GUIDE you and offer ADVICE on how to lead a better life. A priest once told me you don't need the church or priests or even religion itself to find God and make it to heaven, or whatever you want to call your portrayel of the afterlife. He said you don't need any of that one bit. It's just most people can't do it on their own. Most people need that instruction manual with their home entertainment system because they can't set it up themselves. The church is supposed to be there to help you and offer you spiritual information and guidence so you can make a better informed choice on your own. It's not supposed to be this is the way it is and what you have to do. This is getting into a religious debate with nothing anime related so I'm going to stop here so this thread doesn't get locked.

On an anime related topic I would crap my pants if I saw Vatican gunships in the air like they use in Trinity Blood. That's how you convert people Laughing
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Oh yes, some does. Not real demons, and not real guns though (thinking of my classmate who is Christian (like hell actually) and he's enjoying a game when you kills demons).
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to post a reply in this thread but hesitated. I finally decided to to do so but won't be surprised if this post is deleted by moderators. The church I attended (protestant) did not allow me to watch anime. I lost 10 years of anime when I was forced to give it up in the late 80s. The main concern was the fanatism created by the animes. When the church saw how anime could capture hearts of young people to fanatical proportions, influencing their values and lives, they began to attach spiritual forces behind the animes. Recently, many churches in some Asian countries discouraged Pokemon and also Harry Porter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2