• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Religion in anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Today I studied Shintoism in Religion class and it's the most popular religion in Japan. I learned about Bushido and the Way of the Warrior (which is basically the Samurai guidelines). This got me thinking as to if I had ever seen religion in anime. The only samurai anime I have seen is Samurai Champloo but I don't recall seeing Shintoism and Bushido being used. Now, I have a rather small list of anime I have seen so correct me if I'm wrong but, if anime is Japanese, shouldn't there be a heavy Shintoism influence in it? Or do they just leave it out for legal reasons. For example, non-Shintos in Japan gettin pissed about all Shinto anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
x_Hisoka_x wrote:
Now, I have a rather small list of anime I have seen so correct me if I'm wrong but, if anime is Japanese, shouldn't there be a heavy Shintoism influence in it? Or do they just leave it out for legal reasons. For example, non-Shintos in Japan gettin pissed about all Shinto anime.

Basically, all supernatural-themed anime are either Buddhism-based, Christianity -based, or Shinto-based. Just watch more titles and you'll see more examples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Christianity is pretty common in anime. But thats because it pretty much tried to conquer the world and has a very recognizable structure.

Shintoism was essentially Japanese animism/mysticism. It has priests and temples and stuff but I don't think the religion makes a big spectacle of itself.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Christianity is very prevalent throughout many series.
I personally found this rather surprising, seeing as though such an insignificant portion of the country follows the Christian faith.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Christianity is pretty common in anime. But thats because it pretty much tried to conquer the world and has a very recognizable structure.

I would say pseudo-Christianity is pretty common in anime. I have yet to see anything close to an accurate depiction of Christianity in anime, but it's fictional, so I don't really care.

Addressing your second point, people will twist any ideology or belief to further their own goals. It's just as unfair to label all Christians as megalomaniacs as it is to label all Muslims as terrorists. In fact, I would venture to say that it's lazy and irresponsible to make such statements. In any case, ANN isn't a place to get involved in debate about politics or religion, but about anime, so I won't go any deeper into the subject.

Back to the original poster, I don't know much about Shintoism, but I might assume that most of the religious references in anime might come from it. And if that's the case, then it's very common to see in anime, although not always as a central theme, but because it's such a large component of the culture in general, much like Christianity is in the West.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there's not many shows where serious religion plays an important part of the story, but nearly every show has some aspect of some religion put in. From the way they treat their dead to offerings and prayers, I would say at least a majority of anime have at least some religion influenced aspect. However, it is important to note that I do not think these things are added as any sort of symbolism or deeper meaning, but more as a way for the audience to relate to the characters and the situations they are going through; well... that or it's just a plot device and/or a way to set the mood for certain occurences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Hmmm.... This the first time I've heard of bushido being mentioned in the same breath as religion. That's something I've never imagined. I've always thought of it as a "path" or "way" much like a code of conduct, practise or ethics. Hence other studies such as "cha-do" - the study of the tea ceremony, "shodo" - study of calligraphy(?), kendo - Japanese fencing, etc.

I've never thought of Shinto as an organized religion. Probably because Shinto shrines are ubiquitous. Put to task I'd say that the single most important one is the one in Ise. But I wouldn't say that it's the place where a primary head of the "faith" promulgamates doctrine. That's just my impression.

Echoing Dormcat's comments I'd say there are elements of Shinto beliefs sprinkled throughout many anime titles. The obvious recent titles I've come across are Spirited Away (the concept of "kamikakushi") and Kamichu! (girl becomes a Shinto god). I recall Japanese mythology utlizing Shinto motifs showing up in Blue Seed. A more loose example is Tenchi, in Tenchi Muyo, who when clapping his hands in reverence is exhibiting a practise based in Shinto. I'd say Shitno is represented in anime but not as a doctrine molded into a theme driving a show or series.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
I should add that some anime were produced according to religious beliefs other then the three aforementioned. In addition to some really crappy and amateurish ones made by Aum Shinrikyo (that released sarin gas in Tokyo underground metro), a series of three anime movies were adapted from books written by the spiritual leader of Kōfuku no Kagaku (幸福の科学, also known as The Institute for Research in Human Happiness in English): The Laws of the Sun, The Golden Laws, and The Laws of Eternity. Animation was produced by Group TAC and featured many famous seiyuu, notably Takehito Koyasu, who played about a dozen different roles in three movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Yeah, there's not many shows where serious religion plays an important part of the story, but nearly every show has some aspect of some religion put in. From the way they treat their dead to offerings and prayers, I would say at least a majority of anime have at least some religion influenced aspect. However, it is important to note that I do not think these things are added as any sort of symbolism or deeper meaning, but more as a way for the audience to relate to the characters and the situations they are going through; well... that or it's just a plot device and/or a way to set the mood for certain occurences.

To add on to your part about how religion is prtrayed in the anime I would say it's also about culture. How they offer preayers to the dead, some of the prayers and customs used, and other similar examples in anime are also aspects of Japanese culture. Since anime is produced in Japan it's not a suprise that aspects like this show up in the anime from mythical and modern Japanese culture.

What about Taoism though? I thought that was big in Japan too?
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Watch Trinity Blood and you'll see some heavy cristian stuff. Seriously. (And vampires Smile )
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
Watch Trinity Blood and you'll see some heavy cristian stuff. Seriously. (And vampires Smile )

Such as? I already deleted a post just saying "watch Trinity Blood." And please use spoiler tags just in case. I'm still watching the series Razz.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:

Such as? I already deleted a post just saying "watch Trinity Blood." And please use spoiler tags just in case. I'm still watching the series Razz.

No prob. It's a great series Smile

Well, actually, I think that the religion is pretty obvious in this anime - everything sorrounds a priest (even though he's an "vampire", can't remember the name for what he is, I think it's Krusnik though...) and his "adventures" in the church. Even though I don't think that the cristianity in Trinity Blood is like the cristianity in the world right now - the cristianity in Triniy Blood is like ... sick (no, they don't throw up), almost.

Enjoy Trinity Blood btw, Tk.
tru-alucard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
if you want a heavy dose of religion, look at Evangelion. refrences to adam and eve, and even lesser known religous things spoiler[like i beleive it's the end movie that shows them, but when all the type 2's form the design in the sky (that design is called the sepheroth sphere grid which is basicly a map of the heaven and earth concept)]
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I would say pseudo-Christianity is pretty common in anime. I have yet to see anything close to an accurate depiction of Christianity in anime, but it's fictional, so I don't really care.

Yup, it's basically impossible for any anime to depict Christianity - although references in the likes of Trigun, Hellsing, and the like are rather interesting. Furthermore, it's more interesting when they cross Christian references (croesses) with Wicca references (pentagrams).

Makes me wonder what would happen when anime with religious references is made in a Christian based country. How would they depict their own religion? Also, should they make one based on Eastern religions - what would that look like?
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Unless things change drastically from what those of us watching the Cartoon Network run have seen so far, I'd take Trinity Blood's depiction of the Catholic church so far with a grain of salt. spoiler[The series presents women being able to rise in the ranks as far as men, and lightly suggests that the clergy is no longer banned from having relationships. The Catholics seem rather far from getting to that point anytime soon.]

It's Anglican sister Hellsing doesn't seem much more accurate about either Catholics or us Protestants. spoiler[The series presents what amounts to an undeclared war between Catholicism and Protestantism (at least the Anglican denomination) rising from what seems to be an essentially petty argument over vampire hunting grounds aggravated by unstable fanatics. We might not all be having Communion together anytime soon, but at least for most of us things aren't anywhere near that hostile.]

Of the anime I've seen, the non-denominational, quasi-religious Haibane Renmei seems to come closest to conveying the message that all good religions try to spread, spoiler[namely that life can be rough, but we'll someday reach a place where our questions are answered and pain ended - and that in the meantime our job is to try to help eachother through the hard times].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2