• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
More about Black Cat?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
So I've done something I have never done before. I've preordered an artbox and a volume 2 for a series I have never seen or heard of before based solely on trailer on another DVD. It wasn't until I was checking on some orders earlier today that I remembered I'd be getting this series sometime later this month and I don't know anything about it outside what is in those trailers.

I do my usual things. I come to the encyclopedia to read the summary. And there I read things like "unbeatable master gunman" and "a cold and unfeeling killer" and "value of a human life" and I have to say that to me lines like that usually mean something really cheesy. So I start to get worried that I may have ordered a dud.

Luckily I see the ad on the corner of the page here at ANN so I click and I see a link for a special video. I clicked on it automatically and saw another preview for the show. This time showing me a fun side to the series, I see an ugly white cat, some silly faces, and some fun ecchi scenes. So now I'm thinking well it looks like it'll be a fun show too.

And so I go to Google next and do a search on "Black Cat," I'm not the brightest bulb on the lamp. Of course, I get a billion hits and not much on the first three pages that has anything to do with the show. Well there was one link on the first page but that led to a Japanese site and I can't read that. So my hunt continued.

Next I go back the the Encyclopedia entry and see 532 votes and most of them good or higher, not that I ever trust those ratings too much, but what this tells me is that more than just a few people have seen this, there has to be a topic somewhere on the forums. Did a search, came up with nothing.

So this brings me back to the point of this topic. I hate to think I ordered a show that I really know absolutely nothing about, so I ask you all if anyone has seen the show and can tell me a bit more about it. Is it more funny than dramatic? Or is it more action and not so funny. Is it as cool as the preview trailers on other DVDs, or as fun as the trailer on that site? Or both? Or is it really as corny and cheesy like "unbeatable master gunman," "a cold and unfeeling killer," and "value of a human life" make it seem to be?

Any info would be welcome, and if you post spoilers please tag them.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Basically what we're looking at here is the story of a super-powered assassin who's chased by a cop (outfitted with a number of embarassing cliches, like being gluttonous and endearingly befuddled); it's pretty obvious that Train will end up spending those 198 episodes fighting against the other assassins working for Chronos

Oh, yummie! Anime hyper
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I too ventured and preordered the first DVD, based on my knowledge that those who are following the manga finding it entertaining, I also checked some Japanese sources to seal my decision and found that the anime was better received there than Fate/Stay Night.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
Hate to break it too you boys, but the Black Cat anime is nothing like the manga. I'd only suggest getting the anime if you are a die hard for getting all of the anime versions of manga you like. For starters, the fights in the anime are, short, lacking in detail, and pretty much awful. This is what happens when you try to compress a 20-Volume manga series into a 23 episde anime Second thy make a lusy choice of which of he manga story elements they adapt picking some of the most unimportant, stand-alone chaoters to adapt. If they hadn't done this they could of fleshed at more of the fights, at least some of the ones with Creed. Finally the ending was different as they added on a short subplot with Eve that again was boring with nonexistant action scenes. If they had chosen to end the series like the manga with the final battle against Creed, that would heve given them another another way to flesh out battles. Also, bu adding a subplot in which spoiler[Eve is captured and has to be rescued it removes all of the (or character growth she had seen so far. After all, Eves fight against Leon form te end of the manga was he only one to get any fleshing out in the anime.] The best part was the very beginning which was pretty similar to Train's backstory from the mangaspoiler[,and his relationship with Saya]. Like I said, unless your rabid completionist, like I am, I suggest you not spend your on the anime. It's better spent on the FAR superior manga. After all, even though I am a rabid completionist, the anime is near the bottom of my list.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
I have watched Black Cat and I have read manga, I must say anime was inferior. Manga is much more better then anime. Black Cat (anime) had one of the worst ending I have ever seen in anime. Filler episodes were crummy, the Paradise Motive was so stupid, that I even don’t know I should cry or I should laugh.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote
Ok, so far I'm getting that the anime is inferior to the manga, no surprise there I guess. I'm not a big manga reader so I'll probably never look up the Black cat manga, so I guess I won't know how it compares. I guess what it seems like so far is that all I'll have is a pretty artbox for my troubles.

Anyone seen it who hasn't read the manga? Now I'm just wondering if will at least be watchable concidering I am spending money that I could have put towards something else.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
well when I started read manga I had already watched anime. In that time when I watched BC I also didn't like it. The beginning wasn't that bad, at least not as bad as the ending. However in episode to episode it was worst and worse.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Hate to break it too you boys, but the Black Cat anime is nothing like the manga. I'd only suggest getting the anime if you are a die hard for getting all of the anime versions of manga you like. For starters, the fights in the anime are, short, lacking in detail, and pretty much awful. This is what happens when you try to compress a 20-Volume manga series into a 23 episde anime Second thy make a lusy choice of which of he manga story elements they adapt picking some of the most unimportant, stand-alone chaoters to adapt.

Wow, so it ends up like Love Hina and Ceres which I thought were inferior to their manga counterparts, it sounds crazy and discouraging to me that they tried to cover the happenings that took 20 volumes of manga in one season of anime. I guess I'll be canceling my preorder then.
Wrathwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched Black Cat without having read the manga, and while i enjoyed the series, the ending was truly awful. It was an enjoyable watch though and as earlier people had said if they ended it with the creed fight it would have been much better.
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
So this brings me back to the point of this topic. I hate to think I ordered a show that I really know absolutely nothing about, so I ask you all if anyone has seen the show and can tell me a bit more about it. Is it more funny than dramatic? Or is it more action and not so funny. Is it as cool as the preview trailers on other DVDs, or as fun as the trailer on that site? Or both? Or is it really as corny and cheesy like "unbeatable master gunman," "a cold and unfeeling killer," and "value of a human life" make it seem to be? .

I gotta say (after watching the anime reading half the manga, both out of sheer boredom) Black Cat has very little to offer besides being borderline plagiarism of Hunter X Hunter and Cowboy Bebop with some Kenshin and Trigun rip offs here and there.
The manga is mildly entertaining because the numbers appear more often but other than that you just wasted your money.
Sucks to be you Sad
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Meow!
(Since you guys are chatting about Black Cat I had a news bit to throw in)

Got some news straight from the Litterbox… errr office.
When Black Cat released in Japan only 23 episodes were shown.
As a special treat to FUNiFans, we’ll be releasing all episodes in this 24 episode series of Black Cat. So you’ll get to see the unaired episode. Volume 1 releases 12/19/06.

P.S. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest to check out the website. It’s packed with sweetness and you can check out the trailer.

http://www.blackcat-tv.com/

~FUNiRepBlue~
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Zetsuei wrote:
undeadben wrote:
So this brings me back to the point of this topic. I hate to think I ordered a show that I really know absolutely nothing about, so I ask you all if anyone has seen the show and can tell me a bit more about it. Is it more funny than dramatic? Or is it more action and not so funny. Is it as cool as the preview trailers on other DVDs, or as fun as the trailer on that site? Or both? Or is it really as corny and cheesy like "unbeatable master gunman," "a cold and unfeeling killer," and "value of a human life" make it seem to be? .

I gotta say (after watching the anime reading half the manga, both out of sheer boredom) Black Cat has very little to offer besides being borderline plagiarism of Hunter X Hunter and Cowboy Bebop with some Kenshin and Trigun rip offs here and there.
The manga is mildly entertaining because the numbers appear more often but other than that you just wasted your money.
Sucks to be you Sad

You cant really say anything like it was a rip off of a bunch of dif. animes, because you can do that to almost any modern anime out there right now just to make it worse than it actually was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
I actually asked about this one a little while ago myself. I haven't seen the anime, but the first 5 volumes of the manga have been a great read. But, considering the comments of others about the anime, I might just stick with the manga. If you ever do get into manga, I highly recommend it.
Zero89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but I can tell you that the anime itself is pretty similar to the first full metal panic; it's confused... It doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy, or an anime full of depth. Personally, I would have rated the show a masterpiece if the whole thing was like the first 6 episodes, so if all you pre-ordered was the first disc, then it's not so bad. The problem with the show is that the show just goes skitzo on you after ep. 6. It turns from a serious and, quite frankly an awesome show, to your run of the mill action/comedy show that tries to be both full of action, and funny at the same time, while succeeding in none.

My advice, watch the first six or so episodes, then save your money and time for something else, while the rest of the show isn't necessarily unwatchable, it's far from great.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
The first volume surprised me a bit, since I don't like One Piece, Naruto, Hikaru no Go or any of the other Shonen Jump titles. Black Cat reminded me most of the SJ classic series City Hunter in it's mix of moods. There is also something about it that struck me a bit more mature compared to the average SJ title. Sven isn't your shonen teen looking for a bold adventure under the wise hand of the old master Jump lead. I hope the series continues to break these Shonen Jump molds and would be sad if Sven learns "the Ultimate Attack" to defeat the final boss in the series. I also found some interesting parallels with Black Cat and Speed Grapher, although I like Saiga and Kagura better than Sven and Eve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2