• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Heroes/Idols?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Watching a show yesterday called, "Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the amazing story of Superman!" it said that millions of people around the world looked up to Superman. He caused them to do better things and generally become better people. Children idolized him because he was always doing good.

This got me thinking. Have you ever watched an anime a character in the show affected you in this way? Did they make you strive to get better grades or be nicer to your peers? Did you look up to this character for inspiration? Has there ever been a character that made you change for the better? Or for the worse?

Since I haven't watched much anime, I am having trouble thinking of a character that has changed me or one that I look up to. When I do think of one I will edit it in.
Webki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this is a really interesting thread.

Well, I can't say that any anime character has really changed me, but I can say I have learned some life lessons from a few anime.

However, I will say, in some relation to the topic, that Hermione from Harry Potter made me want to do better in school. I still don't know exactly why, but she did.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Narumi Takayuki from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien has helped me realize that you should never two-time. Never ever. Even if spoiler[one of the girls has just awoken in the hospital from a three year coma and is longing to see you, you leave her alone if you already have a girl. Oh, and you should never go and buy a ring for another girl when your girlfriend is waiting for you near an intersection.]
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I can name 2...

1. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece). He has always been my favorite anime character Anime smile He is caring, sweet, and would put his life on the line to protect his friends. Luffy always was an inspiring character, and he will always be the one anime character I'll keep cheering on Smile

2. Rock Lee (Naruto). Another great character is Rock Lee from Naruto. The way he never gave up inspired me to work hard to reach my goals just like him. Even though he's not my favorite Naruto character, I still love the way he never gave up, and that'll always inspire me to work my hardest Smile
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hanajima's spoiler[one-sided love for Tohru] in Fruits Basket helped me give up on a hopeless crush.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Juna, the main character of the wonderful series Arjuna, has inspired me in so many ways. I would say I'm definitely more environmentally aware after viewing Arjuna (that was over four years ago and I've since seen many other environmentalist films that have helped me transform into a better, cleaner, energy-saving person), but that's not all. Juna's patience, kindness, and willingness to learn and keep an open mind are traits I constantly strive for while developing my own personal philosophy and interacting with other people. It may sound silly, but Juna has left a bigger mark on me as a role model than any other television character (I have plenty more real life heroes, though Wink).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well ever since the FMA I think that my brotherly ties have become a lot stronger. Thanks to the guy in my avatar (Ed if ya didn't know) I think that my brother and I now are able to talk more.

What strange about art imidating life, is that I am the older brother who is shorter then the younger brother, and much like Edward I hate when people comment on my height. So in that sense I look upto Ed and Al for the ability to be brother and have that care for one another that you will do anything for each other.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
jaybug39

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I gave myself a Sousuke Sagara moment a week or so ago. I did something, and it wasn't intended to be bad, but it was taken that way, big time! It wasn't blowing up a school, to prevent a terrorist attack, but it seemed to cause the smae amount of damage. You find out who your friends are eh?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I've got a couple here:

Asumi from Twin Spica - She was me as a younger kid in so many ways, it just reminded me that... at least occasionally... dreams do come true. And even if you do accomplish your dream, your life doesn't end there.

Akira from Hikaru no Go - Having a rival really IS underrated in society, and can lead someone to be a much more successful person.

Although I only listed two, I tend to take smaller things away from nearly every character. I can honestly say I'm a much different person today because of the anime I've watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah well, I'm kinda' embarrassed about this one, but Lacus Clyne from Gundam SEED. I remember vividly of the part where I learned one of the most important morals of my life. It was the part spoiler[where she was in the completely deserted, dilapidated concert hall where she performed her first concert, and she's talking to Athrun.] I remember she said "What do you fight for, Athrun? Is it for honor and medals, for your father, or are you even fighting for what you believe in?" It was the most inspiring quotes I'll ever remember. If someone, even if it is a fictional character, can make you remember something as important as that, and live by it, then it is truly significant.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh that's easy:

1.Luffy(One Piece)- The way he never gives up and is always treats everyone with respect, even his enemies changed me alot. Yes he's stupid, personality wise but I think he'd be a good no great rolemodel to younger kids. Too bad 4kids had to f**k up his personality and character.

2.Ryugu Rena(Higurashi)-No real reason I just love that chick. She's so cute. Oh god I think I'm in love Embarassed .

3.Desert Punk(Desert Punk)-A huge perv and he's heartless at times but he actually does work hard, even if it's just for money. That inspired me to work harder too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Koyuki from Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad was really inspiring to me. Because of him and the show, I made myself try twice as hard and twice as long to learn how to play guitar. Everytime I pick up the guitar, I honestly do think about how long and hard he practiced to get good and I always end up going for hours even if it's just playing the scales. So I guess Koyuki did help me become a better person.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I am sorry for posting twice.

Last edited by Darc_knight on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
I idolize Shu from Now and Then, Here and There. spoiler[In the show, when a friend is feeling low, Shu constantly says,"It will be okay. As long as you live something good has to come." (Maybe he does not clearly state those words, but it is still the same idea.) And even though he is only a child, going though torture, and seeing so many changes in his life, (I would assume since there are no fighting or mishaps occurring before Shu meets Lala-Ru) he still stays strong with his optimistic will. ]
So because of Shu and his powerful words, I am also staying optimistic and giving life some time so some good will arise. Also, I try to help those who truly seem desperate not give up, whether it is school, life, family, etcetera.

Last edited by Darc_knight on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Gutts, from Berserk. Because I have learned that no matter what situation I am in, if I get a really crazy look on my face and cut something in half, it will somehow turn out well. Or more horrible. : (

In all seriousness, I guess I like Gutts' determination and will to live.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1