• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Abuse of Fullmetal Alchemist Episode List

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikoto

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Heyo, I understand that FMA is a rather popular series but clearly some people do not read rules before submitting.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2960&page=25

Errors
1. Episode 1 and 2 have Italian titles along with them. =/

2. Episode #17, regarding the romanized kanji. The show clearly prounouces '家' as Ie, not uchi. - I'm not sure how strict Animenewsnetwork is on this though.

3. Starting from Episode 13 to 26, I think somebody tried to be funny by inserting alternative translations of the Japanese title, which makes the page look really messy. I think it is obvious that he/she rephrased from the translated title that was submitted as..

Some examples:

The House Where the Family Waits
House of the Waiting Family

Crimson Glow
The Red Glow

16. 「失われたもの」
1st translated title: That Which was Lost
2nd : That Which is Lost

失われた indicates a definite past tense.

Episode 22, 26 and 46's 2nd translation doesn't even pose any difference from the first one.(Unless I'm missing something really important here. =/)

The one which really made me laugh my ass off was #23.

「鋼のこころ」
1st: A Heart of Steel
2nd: Fullmetal Heart

Clearly the person who erm added it has no/little knowledge about the Japanese Language, associating the Kanji in the title of the anime series with the episode title, forgetting that these 2 are taken in different contexts.

I've just posted some of my thoughts, hoping to keep the calibre of the encylopedia up. Of course I understand these faults are not of the adminstrators. I just thought I'd highlight them.

Hope I'm in the right forum.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't checked but it's very possible that those titles that look similar are actually the officially licensed titles and the titles taken from the fansubs. They usually only differ slightly. I don't have the fansubs (and am not going to download them for this) so I can't check though.
Hikoto

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:45 am Reply with quote
Oh. Okays. I admit I did not consider the possibility of that sadly. The 1st translations are those from the Fansubs.(I can testify to that.) If the 2nd one is from the official version, then it's a mistake sorely on my part. However Fullmetal Heart sounds too ridiculous to be true. If it is, I'll seriously laughed my ass off, honestly. OMG lol.

Please tell me it ain't true. =S
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote
I just looked at DVD 6 of mine and "Fullmetal Heart" is the official title... maybe they just thought it looked cooler.
Hikoto

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
I see...pardon me for this then. I could never have imagined. God, Fansubs are a thousand times better.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
If anything, the fansub titles should be removed though, since they're not official. There's a button that reads "Report an error in this page" on that bottom of each page if you want to report it or any other errors.
Hikoto

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
Ahh...thanks for telling me that. I was wondering how to go about doing that after seeing some threads in the forum. @.@
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1