• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can other shows compare to anime??

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imcoolurnot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:14 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, I think they can't. I mean as far as story, creativity, and touching on human emotions can the best shows on T.V. compare to the best in anime???

P.S.Is it me or are T.V. shows not using opening songs anymore where they introduce the stars. The theme is suppose to get you pumped up for the show but where I live it seems as if 80% of shows don't have openings.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say that they can live up to the same standards as anime. I point to CSI, Star Trek: TNG, Batman Beyond, Simpsons, Law & Order. There are many shows that are just as good as anime. It all depends on what you are interested in.
Imcoolurnot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Those shows are pretty good but I don't know maybe it's just I been bombarded with so much garbage over the years that I lost faith in television. It's not often that I can watch a show and not try to turn the channel.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
heres what I'm hoping. that all the people that like anime now, for the great stories that make you think, start making cartoons in the US that start to rival the anime from Japan.
Imcoolurnot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree Jet. I think I can do it as far as writing goes but I can't draw at all.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Smallville, anyone? I love that show... I mean, my, uh, sister makes me watch it.
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I love Smallville because of how addictive it is. Although it's becoming a bit more annoying now that they're trying to target the teenybopper audience x.x Also when Witchblade was on TV. I always thought that show ran like anime. And the plot forced it to end after so many episodes instead of it dragging on and sucking.

Then again both Smallville and Witchblade are based on US comic books.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that Babylon 5 was reminscent of anime in that it had a planned arc (it got messed with a little when they weren't sure they would get a fifth season...a fifth season that largely dissapointed), but it was still, so far as I am concerned, a great series.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, the five year arc of Babylon five was well done, if lacking a bit in the five, I still feel the Centauri war was well done, its just Bryon was pointless. Blakes 7 and the Prisoner are also preplanned, which makes them extermely well written. How? The best examples are every line said to or uttered to Morden, they tend to come true, even the offcast insults to him.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
Smallville... I can't stand that show....

SUPER MAN SHOULD NOT BE A TEEN ANGST DRAMA DAMN IT!!!!!!

Now Lois and Clark....Now THAT was a good Superman show....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:14 am Reply with quote
LuppyLuptonium wrote:

Lois and Clark was an excellent show!! I'm glad someone agrees with me! I used to watch that show every Sunday and never get sick of the reruns!

-Bamboo
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
LuppyLuptonium wrote:

Lois and Clark was an excellent show!! I'm glad someone agrees with me! I used to watch that show every Sunday and never get sick of the reruns!

-Bamboo

I agree, I loved that series! Haven't seen it in years though.

Er, anyway, back on topic...

Imcoolurnot, you make it sound like all anime is solid gold. Believe me when I say there's just as much crap on Japanese television as there is on American television. Not everything is a breadwinner over there, there's a lot of stuff that never really got off the ground and others that should have been given a swift death. But hey, not everyone likes the same things, that's true in any country.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:25 am Reply with quote
Granted, although at least with anime (for the most part) there is an attempt to create something with a story that has a beginning and an end. The U.S. is far too caught up in sitcoms and one shot dramas to really factor in an attempt to really create something.

Is there crap on both ends? Absolutely. Emerje, he did specify as compared to "the best in anime," so I'd retract his attempt to make "all anime is solid gold" comment, but that's just me.

Honestly though, even some of the worst anime series out there at least make an attempt to give some semblance of a story that has an end to it. The worst TV shows out here don't even seem to do that much...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:03 am Reply with quote
All the shows that even remotely gets good gets cancelled. (See FOX, RE: Firefly, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
absolutezero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:03 am Reply with quote
lois and clarke is on every monday night over here in the uk,

i watched it last night for the first time in a very long time, and surprisingly it wasnt that bad, some of the jokes are very very bad, but the show just seems to work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3