• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two More Eva Questions (Spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
I've asked several questions about NGE before, but more keep coming to mind as I re-watch certain episodes. Two main ones:

1. Why does Rei's arm fall off in EoE?

2. Why do they need 14-year-olds to pilot the Evas who were conceived on the day of Second Impact; why won't they sync up with anyone else? I've seen the series all the way through twice, regular and director's cuts, and I still haven't found an explanation for this one.
primalm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm by no means an expert on the subject of Eva, but here are my thoughts.

1> Since Rei is a bioengineered clone, she has a limited viable lifetime. Another explanation may be that when the rest of the clones in the tank were set to self-destruct, it was just a matter of time until the Rei outside of the tank was also destroyed.

2>I believe this has something to do with a person's psycological development at that particular age. I have seen no evidence that these individuals have undergone any genetic alterations or any other possible reason.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
2. Why do they need 14-year-olds to pilot the Evas who were conceived on the day of Second Impact; why won't they sync up with anyone else? I've seen the series all the way through twice, regular and director's cuts, and I still haven't found an explanation for this one.

You know you're obsessed with Evangelion when...

You need to rationalize why 14 year olds pilot huge mechas in an anime.

Like, every other mecha anime has pilots all under 18 and they don't even try to explain why that's so. ^_^
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
1 - The arm falling off was a way to demonstrate the Rei was breaking down and deteriorating.

2 - Some of the reasons advanced for the 14 yo pilots is that they had to have children born after Second Impact. Also, all the pilots and pilot candidates (spoiler[all the other children in their class at school]) had lost their mothers. Apparently, the loss of the mother was an important part of the psychological makeup needed for syncing with an Eva.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am wrote:
1 - The arm falling off was a way to demonstrate the Rei was breaking down and deteriorating.

2 - Some of the reasons advanced for the 14 yo pilots is that they had to have children born after Second Impact. Also, all the pilots and pilot candidates (spoiler[all the other children in their class at school]) had lost their mothers. Apparently, the loss of the mother was an important part of the psychological makeup needed for syncing with an Eva.

weren't spoiler[their lost parents souls attatched to the EVA's, or was that just with Asukas?] i really don't remember, but if im right that could be it?
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I did suddenly realize after I posted this that everyone who pilots an Eva had the soul of a relative in the Eva, usually their mother. However, there was no evidence for this on the part of Toji... did they ever mention any of his relatives other than his sister who was in the hospital?
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
I did suddenly realize after I posted this that everyone who pilots an Eva had the soul of a relative in the Eva, usually their mother. However, there was no evidence for this on the part of Toji... did they ever mention any of his relatives other than his sister who was in the hospital?

Oh, then I was right? yayy!

and i don't recall anyone else, though I'm almost positive there is (much like in real life, im bad with names in anime too)
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

I am speculating but a thought came to me...

When he did get in the Eva itself spoiler[the thing turned into an angel ]and weren't (in EoE) spoiler[all the humans and angels the same and angels just rejected forms of what man kind could have been]? So maybe spoiler[his transformation of his Eva into an Angel and the Angels actually being rejected humans ]and Toji being a rejected human (in a sense that he was the only who didn't sucessfully(?FLOABW? pilot an Eva) a tangible explanation (not a reason mind you) for why he could pilot it. Its a thesis anyway; read it with a gram of salt (whatever that means).
rojjin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I belive in the scene where spoiler[Rei's arm falls off, Gendou Ikari tells Rei that here AT field is starting to break down.]
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

I am speculating but a thought came to me...

When he did get in the Eva itself spoiler[the thing turned into an angel ]and weren't (in EoE) spoiler[all the humans and angels the same and angels just rejected forms of what man kind could have been]? So maybe spoiler[his transformation of his Eva into an Angel and the Angels actually being rejected humans ]and Toji being a rejected human (in a sense that he was the only who didn't sucessfully(?FLOABW? pilot an Eva) a tangible explanation (not a reason mind you) for why he could pilot it. Its a thesis anyway; read it with a gram of salt (whatever that means).

tangible is not a word ment to be used to describe evangelion.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Oh, then I was right? yayy!

and i don't recall anyone else, though I'm almost positive there is (much like in real life, im bad with names in anime too)

Kensuke - "my mother? don't worry, I don't have one of those"

Hikari - "ever since Mom died, I've been doing the cooking"

Toji - "with Dad at the lab all the time, and Mom dead, if I'm not there, my sister's all alone"

It's fairly plain from the series that spoiler[Shinji's mother Yui is in Unit 01, and Asuka's mother is in Unit 02. Some theorize that Ritsuko's mother is in Unit 00, but this is less certain. I don't know who might or might not be in Units 03 and up, but I doubt that they contain any relatives from the other schoolchildren.] I think that the loss of a parent, particularly the mother, is important to creating the psyche required to be able to pilot the Eva, but I don't think that it is neccessary that the Eva contain a relative. Shinji and Rei did try cross syncing experiments, remember. The relationship of a pilot to the Eva's master personality is probably just the difference between a primary and backup rank of qualification.

Unit 04 spoiler[converted into an angel upon activation because of prior contamination, not Toji's presence - rewatch the episode (18, I think), and pay close attention to the weather during its transit to Japan.]
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
1. Reis arm falls off because Liliths human body is deteorating.

2. spoiler[14 Yr olds are used to pilot because they are all special. Everyone in Shinjis class has lost their mother. Since the Evas need a soul, the soul of their mothers are used so that they can sync with the Evas properly(Except Rei, Rei-1 soul is in Unit 00).]

PS- spoiler[The eva heading into the storm in epi17/18 is Unit 03.Unit 04 dissappeared.]
Sir_Odin_Franz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
1. Rie's arm falls off because her AT field is starting to deteriorate sooner then the other characters because she is part of lilith

2. Younger people are more able to adjust to new situations a stimuli (critical for syncing up with an EVA)
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I've seen posts in numerous threads here which say the sould used by Eva Unit 0 was that of that Ritsuko's mother. I can't say I've seen anything through Episode 20 which shows this.

(Episodes 21-26 may show otherwise, but I'll find that out within the next six weeks of viewing on Adult Swim.)

If anything, I think the soul of Ritsuko's mother is spoiler[inside at least one of the Magi supercomputers. Didn't she say that each of the Magi was centered around some aspect of her mother? Also, wasn't there an actual brain inside the supercomputer Ritsuko was fixing?]

Regarding Ritsuko's mother, that's what I'm thinking.

Also, if the pilots tend to be teenagers who had experienced the loss of a parent (namely, a mother), wouldn't that disqualify Ritsuko because of her age?
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The theory that they all lost their mothers is the most well-supported, but I remember reading from multiple sources that they had to be born within nine months of the Second Impact (this has evidence as well- Kaworu is explained as being able to completely synchronize because he was born on the same day- but we all know better).

Units 00 and 03 have not been shown to have souls within them. It's hinted that 00 may have Rei I or Akagi's souls in it when Ritsuko thinks that it was trying to attack her during its activation test. Actually, since the same thing happens while attacking Rei, and since it may have also been attacking Gendo in the first incident, it may indeed have Akagi's soul, although it's never said that she ever synchronized with it (I'm actually not sure they ever got 00 working at the time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1