• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Plot Twist? (major spoiler alert)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
What is the best plot twist that you have ever seen in an anime series?

Mine would have to be in Bleach, when spoiler[Sosuke Aizen, who seems to be a really nice guy, is supposedly killed, but then turns out to be alive and not such a nice guy.] That one totally caught me off guard.

What does everyone else say?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mine would have to been Scrapped Princess spoiler[when Forsythe stabs Pacifica in the back and THEN stabs himself. But now that I think about it, it may be very Japanese to do that.]

Another, would be Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness. The major plot twist there - spoiler[It wasn't funny like the series. Almost ruined the series for me!]
Satanachia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
hmm i think the best plot twist for me is in Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex when spoiler[Motoko gets her head blown off in the end] i was like holy that cant bespoiler[ but her ghost lives on in the net but where'd she get a new shell?]
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent 8: spoiler[when it turned out they were all dead]

Fullmetal Alchemist 50: spoiler[when Ed went through the gate, and was in Nazi Germany]

both of those i should've seen coming, but i didn't for some reason.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Monster pretty much pick a ep theres a plot twist in there somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Witch Hunter Robin. spoiler[Orbo is made from Witches!! WITCHES!!]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Witch Hunter Robin. spoiler[Orbo is made from Witches!! WITCHES!!]

Forgot about that one! spoiler[Using "themselves" against "themselves!" OOOH, Ickky! Shocked ]

Sailor Moon Live Action - spoiler[Sailor Moon herself was the cause of the destruction of the world.]

Pretear - Have to admit that learning that spoiler[the very caring maid was actually the Princess of Disaster] was a surprise.

And according to another thread: in Fruits Basket spoiler[Akito is a WOMAN!]

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with Vandread when spoiler[BC revealed she was really a man at the very end!]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist 50: spoiler[when Ed went through the gate, and was in Nazi Germany]

Historical correction: spoiler[Ed doesn't wind up in Nazi Germany--he ends up in Germany at the end of World War I. I believe there are notes saying "Germany, 1918" or similar years, and in the last episode, Ed's dad talks about the rediculous postwar inflation of the German Mark (at timestamp 19:35) in a scene labeled "Munich 1921". The Nazis didn't come to power until 1933, and it was another 6 years before World War II began. (Also note the biplanes and zeppelins used in the battle scenes, which were obsolete by WW2.)] There were enough shocking twists in FMA that it'd take too long to list them, I think Sad

Scrapped Princess: spoiler[same as what LydiaDianne wrote, since the whole series is about sibling togetherness, and Forcis seemed like such a good guy throughout. However, after watching it the 2nd and 3rd times, I realize it should have been obvious, due to all the talk of "envoys" by the Peacemakers and Cardinal Hogue. Of course, the whole "world is actually 5000 years in the future" bit was a great twist too.]

Texhnolyze: spoiler[This series is full of surprises, but one of the biggest ones for me was when Yoshii got killed in episode 11--I completely expected him to play a huge role in the plot, but his death took the series in a different direction.]

Full Moon wo Sagashite: spoiler[I think we were all just as shocked and saddened as Mitsuki was when we found out in episodes 41-42 that Eichi was dead.]

And lastly, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: I had heard of KgNE's repuatation as a sad show, but that still didn't prepare me for spoiler[Haruka's car accident in episode 2, and the 3-year time skip after that. Plus, I expected, "okay, she's dead," but then she was in a coma, then awake, and Mitsuki was in the mix too...]soap opera supreme, but as Housen Elis from Canvas 2 would say, "Delicious!"
Wolf X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
I found that there are two major twists in story lines that caught me off guard.
1. Towards the end of Escaflone the series spoiler[where alan discovers that his little sister was turned into lord dilandou.] That was a unexpected left hook that sent me for a loop.
2. In the End of Evangelion movie where spoiler[everyone melts into a single consious mass.] I understand that Evangelion was a mind trip from episode 1 but that still surprised me.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Best twist has to be FMA's ending, no doubt. It was just so unexpected and brilliant. I don't think any anime can beat that for a while.
Yoomee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
I agree, the end of FMA was a twist I didn't see coming... I thought it was cool, but at the same time I kept thinking, "no that's now how it should end."
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Why not? I love the non-typical, non-cliche endings.

Nice Korean alias. Or is that a play on spelling for "you me"?
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'd have to list Magic Knight Rayearth when the knights spoiler[ found out the reason they were sent to Cephiro, and why they had to fight Zagato ]. I never saw it coming, and it pretty much made what I thought was somewhat of a cookie-cutter fantasy anime into something more memorable. They should have stopped at the first season, though.
Yoomee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well when spoiler[it turned out Al didn't remember what had happened.] it made it feel kind of bad they went through so much.

And my Korean name, I was adopted, is Yoon Jin Mee, and at work they call me Yoomee. My American name is too common and I work with many people with the same name as me.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2