• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DURARARA!!, Bakemonogatari, or the Garden of Sinners?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Both are $150...which one is the "better" buy?

The Bakemono set is essentially the same for us and Japan, but the DRRR!! lunchbox is killer. I want that lunchbox.

Completely subjective, but still a fun discussion.

Last edited by luffypirate on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Without taking into account the quality of the shows themselves, I would say Durarara has the distinct advantage. Right off the bat you're getting 24 episodes instead of 15 so that's a lot more value for your money. You're also getting a dub. On top of that you're getting that great lunchbox. (I'm always impressed by anything metal when it comes to packaging). The art looks a little more inspired to me as well. A lot more stylish. The Bake art is a bit plain and I've seen a lot of it used before on a number of occasions. Of course, all this is going to be secondary to one's opinion of the shows themselves.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Well, let's see. Bakemonogatari is 3 times more expensive than if NISA had released it as one of its premium editions of a 1-cours show, whereas Durarara!! is only 1.5 times more expensive than if NISA had released it as one of its premium editions of a 2-cours show. However, I enjoyed Bakemonogatari about 10 times more than I did Durarara!! (which I still quite liked), so in my subjective opinion, Bake is the better buy.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with Blood-. I did like both shows, but Bake is a better show and the other extras with it are nice.

I will stick with the cheap dvds and use online remux for Durarara until they decide to release something reasonably priced that's BD (or not).

It really depends on how much you like lunchbox extras.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Cant comment about Bakemonogatari cause I have not seen it however Durarara price is somewhat justified if you consider the price point of the 3 DVD LE sets together compared to the price of the Bluray LE.

Only thing I know about Bakemonogatari is the fact it has a 2nd season which would add another potential $150 to your costs if they brought that out to your current spend of the 1st season.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I have Durarara!! on DVD and have watched it, and the lunch box is just something I have to get rid of later. On the other hand, Bakemonogatari is a complete blind buy so I would say it is a toss up. I've preordered both in any case.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Durarara

First off, you get 26 DUBBED episodes. You get a double sided poster, a TIN lunchbox, and an hardback artbook.

Also, don't forget you are getting the union LA talents, such as Freeman and JYB. No sub-only release is worth $150.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
@VR - wow, are you actually dissing an AoA release? I thought you were one of their unpaid price apologists.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DRR!! Hands down. You are getting more for one thing and hard to pass up on a shiny metal lunch box for the packaging. Bake's packaging is kinda boring and I personally think $150 is over priced for a sub-only boxset with no extras and meh artwork. Also don't get why Aniplex priced them both the same when Bake really should be cheaper. If you are feeling rich then I would say get them both. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
How much do you value the subbed character commentary with script written by Nisioisin? That's a pretty amazing extra for fans of the series.

If you really want the subbed character commentary and you really enjoy Bakemonogatari then I'd say go for that.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
wow, are you actually dissing an AoA release? I thought you were one of their unpaid price apologists.

No sub-only is worth $150-180. Hell, I find Sentai's sub-only releases to cost too damn much for a nothing special release. NISA and RightStuf have nice ground. They are at a fair price and they're treated a little special. Their releases are worth the price.

Aniplex's $150-180 sub-only release...not worth it. I mean, compared to the Durarara limited release, it was treated like crap. Does it come with a lunchbox? Nope. A poster? Nope. Is it dubbed? Nope, and it never will be. They have also released a sub-only limited box in the past and it didn't cost nearly that much either. Bakemonogatari's release is only worth $70. That's about the same price they charged for Oreimo's limited release.

And I also hate how that magical girl show it priced. 12 dubbed episodes that are priced the same as Durarara, which has 26 episodes to the series. Total ripoff right there. Yes, they have the "cheap" DVD choice, but those DVDs should be only prices about at $25, for the whole series ending up being $75, not $90.

Durarara's price range is a decent pricing range. It's a little bit high, but when you think about, "Oh, it's 26 episodes. Oh, it's also has a dub made of all union VAs."

And man, I've listened to the dub for the magical girl anime (1st episode), the voices are awful. Not only are they over charging for a 12 episode series, they didn't even get decent actors for it. Hell, Freeman would've done better for a female lead then the people they casted (Yes, I know how that sounded, but the man can pull off a nice feminine voice.)

superdry wrote:
How much do you value the subbed character commentary with script written by Nisioisin? That's a pretty amazing extra for fans of the series.

If you really want the subbed character commentary and you really enjoy Bakemonogatari then I'd say go for that.

The commentary would still be on the non-limited release, when it comes out in a year. So the release is nothing special.

Rukiia wrote:
DRR!! Hands down. You are getting more for one thing and hard to pass up on a shiny metal lunch box for the packaging. Bake's packaging is kinda boring and I personally think $150 is over priced for a sub-only boxset with no extras and meh artwork. Also don't get why Aniplex priced them both the same when Bake really should be cheaper. If you are feeling rich then I would say get them both. Very Happy

Yup, overpriced. Seeing as the other sub-only limited release was about $70. It was the same amount of episodes, same amount of extras to it...the $150-180 price doesn't make any since...not at all. If you want it, I would say what for the non-limited release.

Last edited by Vata Raven on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Nope: comparisons like this don't work. The shows are not interchangeable. The number of episodes, packaging, extras, dubbed or not, none of that matters. The only thing that matters is how much you are willing (or able) to pay for a specific show.

If you are not willing to spend (or can't afford) what a given show costs, it's overpriced. If you want it and can afford it, it is not over priced. Look at if from the other side, if shows were interchangable, TRSIs bargin bin would be the place to shop and no show would be worth $50 for a season, much less $150. Frankly there are shows in the bargin bin that I would not give $15 for a 26 episode season. Which is why they are still there.

Properly priced is not an absolute thing. The right price depends on the show and on the buyer.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Nope: comparisons like this don't work. The shows are not interchangeable. The number of episodes, packaging, extras, dubbed or not, none of that matters. The only thing that matters is how much you are willing (or able) to pay for a specific show.

Must you be such a buzz kill?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Nope, if you objectively compare number of episodes and what you physically receive in the sets, DRRR wins. That leaves out your taste and subjectively, this is if both shows are considered equals. I'd buy neither at $150, but at a $50 price point, I'd go with Bakemonogatari.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
If you're just going by specs then clearly DRRR wins. Personally I find DRRR is a slightly more enjoyable show. I'll be double dipping on DRRR, while I have no plans to pick up Bake if AoA is just going to Sh** out such a plain release at that price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5