• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
I finished Zetman the other day. I don't remember much, except for the first episodes and how generic it got by the end. If anything, it wasn't that bad, albeit much worse than Guyver (much much). Is it having a second season? I don't remember the ending.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
I need to join the club, I'm late, I'm officially in love with Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt.

Thank God for Funimation uploading the first two episodes onto their website for free, because I didn't think it would be up my alley at all. But it is. It's so funny. I am also a 19 year old who laughs her ass off to Hetalia and it's the same kind of thing, just more sex jokes and less intelligence (which isn't bad or anything.)

I worked a double today and I work a double tomorrow but I stayed up to watch the whole first disc tonight. I couldn't stop myself. I'm about to hit the hay so I have since turned it off and haven't started the second disc, but I'm psyched to do it tomorrow, and know that I will do it after work.

The opener is catchy, and I fear I will be singing it all day tomorrow. One question though, what the hell is a scanty, is that like a real thing or did they make that one up? I get the joke with Panty, Stocking, Garterbelt, Briefs, and Kneesocks, but with Scanty I was like is that just a code name for skimpy underwear? If I'm correct she wears a thong so I guess it is, I'm not really sure though.

I enjoy how they are constantly calling each other hookers and other demeaning names. And the dog, that looks like Gir. I liked the Power Puff Girls reference in the "Sex and the Daten City" episode, or at least I think that Garterbelt was talking about them.

Sign me up guys, I'm officially a fan. (And when I get my own place I may go to the second hand figure market and pick me up some stripper pole Panty and Stockings. I feel like they would make a good first figure.)
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
One question though, what the hell is a scanty, is that like a real thing or did they make that one up? I get the joke with Panty, Stocking, Garterbelt, Briefs, and Kneesocks, but with Scanty I was like is that just a code name for skimpy underwear? If I'm correct she wears a thong so I guess it is, I'm not really sure though.

As far as I can tell, yes, "scanty" is another word for risque undies. If you type it into Google, it defines the word in noun form as "brief underpants". But I'm not sure it's actually a noun.

Maybe that's why Kneesocks is the better of the two. Mmmm...

Anywho, just finished watching Anohana (I guess I'm on an "anime that start with the letter 'A'" kick lately). Yep, I think I might need a tissue or two. A fantastic show from start to finish. Menma is so friggin' cute too...

Although I'm not sure how spoiler[Tsuruko could even stand to be anywhere near Yukiatsu. Dude is a total creep with some anger management problems, the guy seriously needs some therapy...].
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Scanty = Scantily clad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noyourecrazy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
I'm actually watching quite a lot right now (for me, at least.)

Currently Airing Anime:

Chitose Get You!! I'm watching it because each episode is 3 minutes long and it reminds me how much I should appreciate real moe, real comedy, and real slice-of-life.

Hyouka because I heard the MC hated effort and had a snarky attitude. Like me. Plus it's KyoAni and I was in it for the visuals. Overall it's an alright mystery but Chitanda is extremely irritating.

Kokoro Connect because I was bored. That's pretty much it. Still, it shows some promise to be it a bit more then the average slice-of-life and I'm hoping that it does just that.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous since I saw a tag that talked about how good it was, and so far I'm not disappointed. Hopefully everything gets resolved in the 11 episode time-slot, though.

Sword Art Online since no one could shut up about it. The fast pacing in episode two is leaving me with mixed feelings but I think it still has the potential to be an enjoyable ride. It's being completely overhyped, though.

Tari Tari I started for no reason whatsoever. Just saw that it had some moe and it looked like an easy-going watch. It's sort of like K-On! but with more singing and less cake. It's pretty average, but still a nice watch.

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ since season one was one of the most hilarious shows I've seen in a while and I need my weekly dosage of moe lesbianism. It's doing everything I loved from season one, but better. My favorite of the season so far.

Other Shows:

ef - a tale of melodies I'm watching since I can't get over Shaft's stunning visuals and I really enjoyed ef - memories. I'll have to rewatch memories to confirm this, but so far I find it better then its prequel.

Hetalia World Series since I wanted to be more knowledgeable in the fandom. I laugh during every episode. If you can't find Hetalia hilarious then your life seriously sucks and I feel bad for you because by god this show just. For the right people, its comedy at one of its highest points.

K-On!! because I heard it did things better then season one. For the most part yes, it does, but that doesn't stop it from being kind of boring which is why I haven't gotten around to finishing it for about a month now.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha I started watching because I heard it was darker (not Madoka Magica dark, though) then the typical mahou shoujo and I was in the mood to watch a new magical girl series. I'm not disappointed. I really love this show. Not a top favorite, but definitely close.

Major S1 since I read a review talking about how enjoyable this series was and whatnot. I've only seen one episode, and wow - it was emotional. I have more downloaded on my iPod but I'm lazy so maybe later.

Mirai Nikki (TV) is something I started back in January, and I'm barely halfway through it. The only reason I don't have it dropped is because I don't drop anime. Yuno is the most annoying, terribly written, and just flat out horrible character I've come across so far. The directing is practically not there, and the only characters who I can even find likeable are Akise and Minene. spoiler[and they end up dying, too. I had to read the manga so I could at least know what happens and try to stay interested.] I doubt it'll redeem itself in the end.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
I've watched so much anime of late and it has been quite a while since I last posted anything up... so I think I'll go with what I consider the stand-outs I've watched of late.

I'll start with the most recent addition... which I justed finished a little over an hour ago... Kids on the Slope. Absolutely blew me away. I was trying to hold it off because I've had so much on my plate of late. I gunned it from start to finish in one viewing session today and I'm annoyed I didn't start it when it finished airing now. I'm a massive fan of jazz (probably my favourite genre of music) and this anime hit the spot. I downloaded the OST as soon as I finished and I've been listening to it since. I don't where to start, what to say or how to express what this anime offered. The only thing I can say is, it is only the second anime I have ever shed tears over. I had goosebumps in almost all the episodes and I couldn't stop my body moving in rhythm to all the beats. The soundtrack is an absolute stand-out. I see what they meant when they said that Yoko Kanno was the perfect choice for handling the OST. I've said a lot, but nothing at the same time, so I'll end this with mentioning my favourite scene, which is the spoiler[performance Sen and Kaoru perform together during the the school cultural festival]. Perfection.

I also watched Another, which was so well made and kept me on the edge of my seat till the commencement of the grande finale. Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought spoiler[the ending completely ruined the mood the anime used throughout the whole anime]? spoiler[I thought it wasn't a bad way to end it, but they could have pulled off something more consistent.] Overall though, I can't find anything to fault.

Next on the list would have to be Air Gear. I swapped my Samurai Champloo boxset for a friends Air Gear one, as we quite literally suggested to each other at the same time, and I didn't regret it. Air Gear was an epic ride (pun intended) and I'm especially fond of the OST from this one as well. As I understand it, the manga continues on for quite a while from where the anime finishes. I'm not expecting another season, so I'll have to start reading it sooner or later, as I wish to know how it all turns out. For me, the words cool, relaxed, chilled and smooth come to mind when I think of the anime. I attribute this to the musical backdrop, which was always appropriate and never out of place. Hell, one of the tracks on the OST is called "overkooled," and it also happens to be my favourite track. 'Nuf said Razz

I watched Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari back-to-back and overloaded Razz... The whole supernatural, action, high school, romance and comedy aspects of the anime are all my favourite (besides fantasy, which wasn't present) anime genres in one hit, so I loved it from start to finish. I can't wait for the prequels they are planning to release.

Lunar legend Tsukihime was another anime that almost covered all the aspects I just previously mentioned. Funny story on this one actually. I started watching it with some friends while I was staying over at their place, and after two or three episodes, they called it a night. And usually I call it at the same time they do, but I told told them I'm not moving just yet, and at 6-7am I went to sleep, after finishing the whole whole anime in one hit Anime hyper

Finally, I'll mention Sankarea. I'll probably finish this off tonight, before I go to sleep. I started watching it two-three nights ago, but an active night life has prevented me from finishing it yet. I've only got about four or five episodes left, so no sweat on this one. I like the concept and thespoiler[ whole mystery surrounding Chihiro Furuya and his mother and what his grandpa mention in his moments of sanity] is very intriguing. I'm just wondering how they will close this one out. But so far, so good in my opinion.

Tomorrow, I'll start on either Space Brothers, Tsuritama or MysteriousXGirllfriend (probably not the latter though) and if I'm up to it, I'll make a start on Dusk Maiden of Amnesia tonight after I finish Sankarea.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Just started watching Romeo X Juliet, which I have owned for ages.
After one episode, I like it very much. The characters have been very neatly established, and there was no "Hey isn't that character X, who is Y!" kind of exposition. Sure, it has little to do with the play so far, but I wasn't expecting that.
Maybe I'm just smitten with the visuals though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Besides most of the current summer ongoing series including Sword Art Online, Tari Tari, Kokoro Connect, Horizon II, Arcana Famiglia, etc, I've just started watching Xam'd: Lost Memories on CR and really enjoying it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
After one episode, I like it very much.

The uh ending kind of wets the bed. Like for real. So you know. It was great until like episode 22. Watch it all the first time just to see if you like the ending at all, but I know at least for me any rewatch that ever happens is stopping at 22. That's my ending.

And thanks for the Scanty info. I love the Demon Sisters. I think I like Kneesocks better than Scanty though, just like I like Stocking better than Panty and Briefs more than... well I guess Garterbelt.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
Labbes wrote:
After one episode, I like it very much.

The uh ending kind of wets the bed. Like for real. So you know. It was great until like episode 22. Watch it all the first time just to see if you like the ending at all, but I know at least for me any rewatch that ever happens is stopping at 22. That's my ending.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. It kind of feels like they spoiler[forgot it was supposed to be an adaptation of the play halfway through and did whatever they wanted with the characters and made them SO DIFFERENT from the source material...And then, right before the end, they realized "Oh crap, this was supposed to be an adaptation of a tragedy, and we changed the main characters so much that they would no longer kill themselves over a silly crush when there's so much at stake...Oh well, guess we'll have to go the noble sacrifice route! Uh, um, MAGIC TREE!!" And then sort of forced in the tragic ending where it didn't really belong. I mean, change the names and watch it without the dub and you probably wouldn't even notice it was supposed to be an adaptation. Just a straight-forward fantasy romance anime.] I enjoyed the show overall and thought the main couple had a lot of chemistry, but yeah, the ending leaves much to be desired.
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
spoiler["Uh, um, MAGIC TREE!!"]

Basically. It's a shame because it was so good until the end. It never really explained why she had to spoiler[sacrifice herself. And I did not understand why Romeo died. At all. ] Not that I really understand that part in the original.
tocahan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hyoko- Mainly for all the delicious KyoAni visual pleasure. The first mystery was fairly compelling, but since then they've been less so.

Otogi Zoshi - I was attracted to it by the fact that the first half is set in the Heian Period. I'm about half way through the that arc and so far I'm liking it. IG has done some interesting things with the animation. I'm also curious to see how they transition things to modern day Japan in the second half.

Patlabor the Movie 1 - I watched this due to the raves on the 90's ANNCast and I have to confess I only found it okay. Maybe if I had gotten to it sooner, I might found it more interesting.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Well, after finishing up a healthy amount of Spring 2012 shows (Kids on the Slope, Lupin III, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Nyarko-san) a few weeks ago, I ended up seeing some interesting stuff that varied wildly in quality.

Unintentionally, I ended up starting with the worst of the bunch: M.D. Geist via the free Manga Entertainment 'channel' on the family's Roku device. I either misheard or didn't get the joke when it was named, but after listening to ANNCast's Best of the 80's show, I thought it was supposed to be of really good quality, so I watched it after everyone here at home went to bed. Thankfully, I didn't have terribly high expectations to begin with, so I wasn't really disappointed... but even so, I thought, "Really? People thought this was grest?" (And geez, what a dumb ending.) I saw M.D. Geist II a week later for completion's sake (and the hopes of understanding the original's ending)... I think I found it a little better/enjoyable overall, but still kinda ultimately awful. After then doing an ANN search of the OVAs, I saw it listed in the "Buried Treasure" archive under the "Buried Garbage classification," awakening vague memories of reading an article about this really awful anime (apparently one of the worst of all time). Whoo.

Next was a randomly-spotted library copy of the X-Men anime. Having only seen the mediocre first two episodes of the Wolverine anime, I was curious about how the 'best-done' Marvel anime would turn out. To my surprise-- with my knowledge of the X-Men relegated to the 'X-Men Evolution" animated series that I once watched a lot of, the first two films, and random factoids learned online-- it was quite enjoyable (though it definitely got hokey in some parts of the second half). It was very fun to listen to as well in English— Steve Blum as Wolverine got a lot of great lines. The only slightly irksome thing about the dub was how liberally adapted the script was; while I feel like the dialogue was better and carried more personality the majority of the time, it was a huge pain whenever I wanted to actually understand what a character was saying at certain moments. Anyway, happy I watched it.

And just over this past weekend I saw all four episodes of Macross Plus on Netflix, which was considered one of the greats of the ‘90s, as I believe the ANNCast’s Best of the ‘90s show indicated (or did I hear about it on a different podcast?). And yeah, it was really awesome—the dub, the animation, the Keiko Nobumoto script, and the Yoko Kanno soundtrack were all so lovely. Whoever it was that brought it up--Zac, Justin, or both—I echo their sentiments. Some truly beautiful stuff is found here.... what a great way to more or less end a weekend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Mawaru Penguindrum right now. I've really been wanting to watch it for a few months now so I'm really excited to finally get around to it.

Really liking it so far, especially the fact that it's just so completely odd. Not in the Arakawa sense, where everything is just as wacky as possible, but everything in this show is just inherently weird, and I love it. I'm going to have a hard time not describing everything as "Fabulous Max!" now.

Ringo is fascinatingly creepy, too. Maybe the creepiest/most obsessive anime character I've seen thus far. Now I really want to watch Mirai Nikki just to see how much creepier Yuno is.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
And just over this past weekend I saw all four episodes of Macross Plus on Netflix, which was considered one of the greats of the ‘90s, as I believe the ANNCast’s Best of the ‘90s show indicated (or did I hear about it on a different podcast?). And yeah, it was really awesome—the dub, the animation, the Keiko Nobumoto script, and the Yoko Kanno soundtrack were all so lovely. Whoever it was that brought it up--Zac, Justin, or both—I echo their sentiments. Some truly beautiful stuff is found here.... what a great way to more or less end a weekend!
It was actually on three lists (Bamboo being the exception), so yeah, it got a lot of praise. And it is a really great show. I should revisit that sometime...

Spent some time catching up on Hunter x Hunter. I'd let it slide for several weeks just from lack of time. Still continues to be a good show, though it's in a bit of a dry spot now as it sets up the next arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 708 of 1068