• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the timeline?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I find that most of my favourite anime have their timelines clearly defined. They are either futuristic, feudal/ olden times or modern. But one anime which has kindled much debate amongst my friends and I is exactly when the anime/manga Naruto takes place. I, and those who support me, claim that Naruto takes place in a sort of fastastical version of modern times where elements of both the feudal age and our present time are evident. I believe that these 'countires' represent only a part of the world or that it is the modern part of a time created soley for the anime/manga. Other friends claim that it is not the modern time but is in fact the feudal or olden times. I have one word for them... RAMEN! But we are still in disagreement. What do you guys think? Past, present or individual timeline (not connected with reality)?
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The existence of ramen does not necessarily mean that a series is set in modern times. However, in the case of Naruto there are also things such as onboard moters in boats (Wave Country), heavy machinery, and electricity. But in addition to that, we have the existence of magical powers.

Since the map that is shown does not seem to correspond with anything in the real world, I would have to say that Naruto is set in an alternate reality that blends modern/future elements with elements from the past (specifically feudal era Japan).

In all honesty though, it's a rather inane argument. As long as you enjoy the series, why does it matter what the timeline is?

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
I, and those who support me, claim that Naruto takes place in a sort of fastastical version of modern times where elements of both the feudal age and our present time are evident.

Yes, this seems to be the case, and Masashi Kishimoto has confirmed this, IIRC. It's evidenced by the fact that, amongst the small, isolated village setting, a computer makes an appearance during the Chunin Arc. Also, as pointed out, the world is completely different, and if it corresponded to our world at all, there would not be ninja villages spread across the entire world; they would be centered in the area representing Asia.

...Unless they're hiding right under our eyes!

>_>

<_<

Be afraid!
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
I, and those who support me, claim that Naruto takes place in a sort of fastastical version of modern times where elements of both the feudal age and our present time are evident.

Yes, this seems to be the case, and Masashi Kishimoto has confirmed this, IIRC. It's evidenced by the fact that, amongst the small, isolated village setting, a computer makes an appearance during the Chunin Arc. Also, as pointed out, the world is completely different, and if it corresponded to our world at all, there would not be ninja villages spread across the entire world; they would be centered in the area representing Asia.

...Unless they're hiding right under our eyes!

>_>

<_<

Be afraid!

Yeah, this was sorta weird to me.. because i was used to the mixing in the series, but i feel that in the movie they take it too far with the whole director and movie crew, when naruto and the rest of the team went to the studio it looked like they didn't belong at all, as if they were in a completely different world.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
It's interesting, you don't see too many anime set in the "recent" past, that is, not the current era but not samurai & warring states either. One example is Steel Angel Kurumi, which takes place sometime in the 1910s. I don't really have a preference; as long as the story is put together well and doesn't stray from consistency with its setting, any time period can be good. Though you also don't see many set in the 1950s or 60s, probably for good reason.
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The existence of ramen does not necessarily mean that a series is set in modern times.

It does when it is cupped ramen! Show me that in the feudal era! Um.... DARNIT INUYASHA!

Quote:
It's evidenced by the fact that, amongst the small, isolated village setting, a computer makes an appearance during the Chunin Arc.

That was actually my problem with trying to prove my point. I haven't gotten that far in the manga and have seen up to what has been shown on YTV of the anime and then a bunch of random episodes. So all of the evidence which I had either came from my friends or were simply random observances. NOW I HAVE PROOF! Laughing

Quote:
Also, as pointed out, the world is completely different

That was part of my observances... The big problem was that some of my friends had blanked out durring grade 8 geography and could not remember if the map that had been shown durring the anime resembled the world and others simply did not remember the episode... lol... I would be horrible at debate Confused

But as ShadrachAnki said, it is rather stupid. Although it wasn't an argument exactly, it is still an odd topic of discussion. But it isn't the most odd thing which my friends and I have debated... Try the translation of the opening theme of Hellsing... Laughing It is just what we do when we are bored!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's interesting, you don't see too many anime set in the "recent" past, that is, not the current era but not samurai & warring states either. One example is Steel Angel Kurumi, which takes place sometime in the 1910s. I don't really have a preference; as long as the story is put together well and doesn't stray from consistency with its setting, any time period can be good. Though you also don't see many set in the 1950s or 60s, probably for good reason.

Some other "recent past" series are Chrono Crusade, which takes place in 1928 America and Fullmetal Alchemist, which takes place in a fictional country called Amestris which resembles early 20th century Europe in the 1910s. Both are licensed (by ADV and FUNimation, respectively) if you wanna check them out.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
I am fairly certain that it takes place on another world entirely. on the back of some of the english Graphic Navels, it say "On another world Where ninja rule supreme..." or something like that. Also, Togashi said, in an interview with shonen jump, that "Naruto was not set in a particular time period". I think
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That answer seems to make the most sense. Everything points towards it, that is. Anywho... Nice Gaara avatar!
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Also, as pointed out, the world is completely different, and if it corresponded to our world at all, there would not be ninja villages spread across the entire world; they would be centered in the area representing Asia.

Actually we haven't seen the entire Naruto world, in fact we've only seen a small part of it that I would guess is roughly smaller than western Europe. There are other parts of this world, what we've seen does seem to represent their "Asia" while the second movie seems to introduce a European element that we haven't seen yet (castles and knights).

What really makes their world unique is that they don't rely on rapidly changing war technology, but rather slowly evolving human abilities. Why bother creating the technology for guns and tanks when ninja are more than sufficient? You end up with a world that at first glance appears to be very primitive by our standards, but then you start to notice the electric lights, TVs, 2-way radio headsets, computers and what not.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
But that still supports the fact that it is a completely ficticuous world, based upon nothing more then it's own concept. It has that sort of "What if?" factor. What if there WERE hidden ninja villages? Then everything just falls into place after that. And they still have alot of the war-inspired technology (ie. the computer), but it is not connected with any history which is known to us (either in reality or to us as viewers).
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I would ask you how the computer was 'war inspired' but that would be digressing off topic.

Naruto's worlds is definately alternate to our own at any time and suites the story quite nicely.

...now where did I hide those Cup Noddles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
Nice Gaara avatar!

Thank you

But anyway, the part of the world that we have seen in Naruto looks nothing like anything i have seen in the "real world" exept for perhaps a backwards penninsula of some sort. Alos, they have never mentioned what theworld they're on is called. If Kishimoto would perhaps tell us the name, or show us more of the world, in a future chapter, that would answer this question once and for all
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
But anyway, the part of the world that we have seen in Naruto looks nothing like anything i have seen in the "real world" exept for perhaps a backwards penninsula of some sort. Alos, they have never mentioned what theworld they're on is called. If Kishimoto would perhaps tell us the name, or show us more of the world, in a future chapter, that would answer this question once and for all

I'm sure he's keeping that to himself just to keep people guessing, but I believe it would still be called "Earth" just not our Earth. It really doesn't what the planet is called though, we already know it's not the same world as ours so what difference does naming it make?

x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
But that still supports the fact that it is a completely ficticuous world, based upon nothing more then it's own concept.

Eh? What do you mean "but"? That's what I was saying it is, I was agreeing.

Emerje
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
One thing I noticed upon watching Gungrave the second time was that I believe that the first flashbacks (although it is an alternate universe) employ a precomputer age world. As the series progresses we see old rotary phones turn into big clunky cel phones. By the time we reach the timeline of the first episode we have technology which might be slighty more advanced than ours. It is really cool that the staff utilized an alternative technological progression in a series which takes place over many years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2