• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Types of otaku that annoy you?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
What group in the Anime fandom makes you ashamed to be an Otaku?

Dub-haters- These guys pick the dumbest reasons to bash dubs. "Goku doesn't sound like a ten-year-old girl," "Naruto sounds just as annoying as he did in Japanese, but in English, it doesn't work," "J. Michael Tatum has to have his balls dragging on the floor to be the perfect Sebastian," etc. They even go so far as to say that dubs completely alter the story. I ask this: have you watched every dub ever? I'm surprised they don't boycott conventions because dub actors appear in them.

The other weeaboos- While Dub-haters are technically 'weeaboos,' you've also got the ones that use Japanese words every other word. Pick one language and stick with it!

Tokusatsu Purists- The people who think Haim Saban is the devil for not making "Power Rangers" a carbon copy of "Super Sentnai." If we wanted a carbon copy, they might as well just dub it. Let's not kid ourselves: you wouldn't even know about SS if it weren't for PR.

DBZ fanboys- The people who think "Dragon Ball" is the greatest thing since sliced bread just because it was their 'first anime.' They dismiss every anime after it as a rip-off, yet they deny that DB isn't that original either. Goku's origin story is basically Superman's, the energy attacks were done in "Fist of the North Star," Tien's cloning technique has been done before in "X-Men" (and yet they still think "Naruto" stole it from DBZ), and the entire first story arc was knocked off of "Journey to the West." They also feel compelled to think Goku is the god of anime and can beat anyone. Congratulations, you're proud of Goku being an over-powered Gary Stu.

Yaoi Fangirls- First, I like to say as a Yuri fan, I'd rather hate to sound like a hypocrite. If you prefer Naruto packing Sasuke's fudge, then go right ahead. But then you have the ones that are in complete denial that a male character is straight. They think just being friends is enough to justify that a character is gay. Then you have the ones who hate pretty much anything with a vagina. Female characters in Yaoi fanfics are always depicted as vile, homophobic skanks who want the main characters for themselves, and 9/10 times, it ends with them dying horribly.

Femenists- If it's not the Yaoi fantasies that make a female character despised, it's the fact that the character dares not to be a blood-thirsty killer. Just because they don't kill things, doesn't mean they're useless. There's other ways to be useful. Orihime from "Bleach" is a healer, Kagome from "InuYasha" is a MacGuffin tracker, and Kairi from "Kingdom Hearts" saved Sora from spoiler[being a heartless]. Of course, it's always 'kill something or get lost.' Are you guys seriously thinking that if a series has fighting, every single character has to fight? That isn't a rhetorical question. Every time I ask this, no one answers.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Dub-lovers- These guys pick the dumbest reasons to bash subs. "Goku doesn't sound manly despite being a manchild" "Luffy sounds just as annoying as he did in Japanese, but it's in English, so it's better" "Giving characters British and Texas accents despite being Japanese makes total sense." They even go so far as to say that watching dubs that completely alter the story doesn't matter since it's all to make it more appealing to Americans. I ask this: have you watched the sub ever? I'm surprised they don't boycott Crunchyroll because it's all sub-only.

The other Ameriboos-While Dub-lovers are technically 'Ameriboos,' you've also got the ones that harp on anything that uses Japanese words. You're watching a Japanese product, so you should expect it.

Power Rangers Purist- The people who think America improved the original because it's about Americans which are better in their eyes. If we wanted a kiddy carbon copy which screws everything up, we would have asked for a kiddy carbon copy which screws everything up. Let's not kid ourselves: SS has been around longer than PR, and it's continued to be around long after the PR fad ended in America.

One Piece fanboys- The people who think "One Piece" is the greatest thing since sliced bread just because it was their 'first anime.' They dismiss every anime for supposed 'clunky writing' yet they deny that One Piece doesn't have all those problems either. The fights are essentially worthless, the Haki attacks come right out of nowhere and make no sense. Luffy is essentially Goku Jr. with a straw hat (and yet they still think it's original), and everything up to Water 7 is a chore to watch. They also feel compelled to think One Piece is the god of anime and is better than anything. Congratulations, you're proud of a modern day Dragon Ball clone.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
1) Since we're talking purely hypothetically, I can't stand people who overuse the word "weeaboo" to label preferences they don't subscribe to, while not seeing that they are being disrespectful and potentially trolling. In fact they can't see that because in their eyes it's their own preferences that are the moderate ones by definition, and others are necessarily extremists.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Well not really, I like dubs but don't bash Subs. I watch them both pretty evenly. And think you should replace that category with Sub-Haters. It makes more sense since lovers of either may not necessarily hate the other.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The purists- This can also turn up in other fanbases of popular fictional franchises, but anime also has their nice share of them. Basically, these are folks who have their idealized take on character and story elements to an anime/ manga title and think they have the right to lash out at anyone if the direction of the title from its creators doesn't go in the way they desire it to. It occasionally gets bad enough in Japan where the fanbase of a title will send a flood of hate mail to a title's creators if they don't like the way the title is going with its plot or characters. Notable cases include the whole moe purity craze (which infamously affected Kannagi creator Eri Takenashi) and the nice amount of hate mail Gainax received from the handling of Evangelion's final two episodes.

Bashers of dubbed or subbed versions of anime- If you have a specific preference for how you choose to enjoy listening to your anime, then I have no problem with that. But lashing out at the other side just because you have a preconceived attitude that one language is always superior to the other in enjoyment of anime is really insulting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
What I can't stand is people who call me an otaku. For one thing, it does not mean Anime fan. Secondly, I'm not an obsessed freak, just a fan of Anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Hysterics with no sense of humor- Those who call you with the worst insults possible for writing that you mistaked new Berserk Movie with Brokeback Mountain Animated and want to burn with fire all those fanarts illustrating how the cast of Dragon Ball admit to be gay.

The Old Guards- There had been here when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and fansubs were distributed on VHS. Now that living fossils appear sometimes to remind you that anime died with Tezuka before you were born so such a profanes should never raise a voice about mysterious secrets of Japanese animation.

Hardcore Missionaries- Once blessed with knowledge of anime won't stop till they share with you the ultimate truth about one and only way of anime. No matter if you want it or not.

Lack of the emoticons in text above doesn't indicate that's 100% serious.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Lol again. This thread is turning out to be as epic as "What did you learn from anime?".

My take:

- Addict-otakus: Their sole purpose of existence is to consume anime and manga. Is it a series of 52 episodes? They are done with it in two days. A never-ending shonen manga? Read it as fast as you can (the "I don't stare at the art" type).
And never look back. No second thoughts, no discussions allowed after the first week (They won't remember a damn thing, anyway).

- Current-Season Evangelists:

Guy A: Did you watch Angel Beats? It's a great show!

Guy B: Are they still airing it?

Guy A: Nope, it's from a couple of seasons ago.

Guy B: Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm too busy following *Insert new action-series here *, Gundam XXXIV, Queen's Blade 94, Moe-Blob!! S3 and many more. I'd better catch up with the current animes or I'll be damned. The next season is just around the corner, dude.

Guy A: ....
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I have also recently become very irritated by the DBZ fanboys. I frequent Funimation's facebook page, it's a fun place to hang out and goof around, and every so often there's some kid who comes on the page demanding that more DBZ be made and won't accept any other kind of answer other than the one that they want. No matter how much reason or evidence you put before them, they just ignore it and keep ranting. There is actually one group (I shit you not, unfortunately) that truly believe that they are going to convince Toriyama and Toei to collaborate with them in making more DBZ. Seriously, these guys are not trolls, they honestly think it will happen. And of course, when people simply tried to point out the reality, they lost their shit and resorted to name calling.

For the record, fanboys of any show that are at this level are equally as annoying, but I mainly see these types in the DBZ fandom.

On complaint that I've always found ridiculous and Rolling Eyes inducing deals with credits on the DVD/BD releases. "They didn't leave the credits in kanji/whatever? Not buying this. They really dropped the ball here!" Really? How is that important? I can't help but see that as anything but weaboo-ism.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm annoyed at all those hot, otaku chicks who refuse to sleep with me just because they have standards. God, they piss me off.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm annoyed at all of those horny, older men who think they're entitled to my hot, otaku butt. God, they piss me off.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
What I can't stand is people who call me an otaku. For one thing, it does not mean Anime fan. Secondly, I'm not an obsessed freak, just a fan of Anime.

I agree here, although I don't know anyone personally who would even be knowledgable about the term otaku. But even anonymously on a forum like this, someone thinking I am otaku because I watch a lot of anime are making an incorrect assumption. I am an adult with real world responsibilites, and put any kind of entertainment in the "when I have time after real life responsibilities" category. Animated characters are not real to me, lol. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I'm annoyed at all of those horny, older men who think they're entitled to my hot, otaku butt. God, they piss me off.

Touché, you little monster. Wink
timesteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to get annoyed by complete otaku nerds, the ones that constantly quote lines from anime. then insist on being called by a Japanese name, and call the leaders of their group kaichou. Then they take Japanese classes only to drop a few weeks later because it's too hard. btw these people are almost all white and their favorite series are Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece and lack any knowledge of anime that aired pre 2003 other than what aired on toonami.
I mean I know we like some of the same shows but when I see them I'm like OMG what a Freak!!! these people take this stuff too far.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it OK if is just mark a check next to the option that says ALL, and leave it at that? Laughing

Yeah, love anime, the fanbase for set medium however, not so much. Razz

And oh yes I know theres good & bad fans in EVERYTHING. But past year or so seem to have had far more negative experiences then positive ones, kind of sours your view of the fanbase in general (sadly).

But I guess I would say I hate "noobs/newbs" most of all. The people that ask blatantly simple/stupid questions that a simple Ask/bing/Google/etc search could easily answer for them. Seriously people, you have the internet, now stop being to lazy to use it!

And, thats all...I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19