• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Anime effected your world view?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
This could mean a lot of things.

Some examples might be,
Have you picked up more or different books because of anime, or stopped reading anything other then Manga?
Are you more open to different religous views because of the cool Buddhist and Shinto characters or turned off to their foolishness?
Are you more willing to take death or tragedy as part of life because you see that acceptance modeled in Anime?
Are you more or less skeptical of the institutions around you because of Anime?

This is an open ended question and could cover any or all of these areas or none or areas I haven't even thought of.

Please be polite and respectful.

As for myself, I'd say Anime has basically complimented the view of the world I have but has deepened it, taking it into areas I would not have gone otherwise, for example--

1) When I read about Japanese society, especially those critics who think that "harmony" is maintained by limiting real choice to paper or plastic or which company you will maintain undying loyalty to, I started to look at my society with a more critical eye.
Whether that has been good for me is questionable. There is a degree of truth to ignorance is bliss. However, I think too often it's the ignorance of a "Zombie" to borrow a term from Wolf's Rain.

2) I have always been spiritual rather then religous but I think a lot of the underlying attitudes in Shinto like sincerity, harmony with nature etc make a lot of sense, though I am not Japanese and have some problems with the particulars of how it is practiced today. No surpise, I have simular problems with Christianity, basically great messages weak practice/understanding. I wonder if that is universal in all religions?

3) I've looked at fans and asked, are they addicted to something pointless to the point of silliness? Am I? My answer has been yes for some, no for others, I had better keep an eye on myself.

Shameless list of Anime that have influenced me in these directions: Wings of Honiemise, Haibane, X, Gasaraki, Arjuna, Rexephon, Blue Seed, Blue Gender, Wolf's Rain, Kino's Journey, Vision of Escaflowne, Fruit Baskets, Twelve Kingdoms, GTO, Planetes, Macross O, Card Captor Sakura, Last Exile.

All the best,

Nani?
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Have you picked up more or different books because of anime, or stopped reading anything other then Manga?

I read Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami upon learning that Abe got a few of his ideas for Haibane from the book. I have since read another one of Murakami's novels, and the man is a very unique and gifted author.

Quote:
I've looked at fans and asked, are they addicted to something pointless to the point of silliness? Am I? My answer has been yes for some, no for others, I had better keep an eye on myself.

Pointless? So tell me, have you ever met any DDRers? Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
From a cultural viewpoint I'd say to a degree. Essentially it has helped in my understanding of the japanese culture, not so much from the content of the anime itself but the type of content so often seen. Primarily the differences between their shows from how they begin, play out and the biggest difference I've noticed, how they end.

Of course, I also take it all with a grain of salt as watching media from a country isn't exactly a gateway to their culture but more of a rough sketch. The same way an outsider might see american culture based on our shows. It might give them some idea of what type of people we generally are but it isn't exactly an accurate representation of our lives.

Other than that there have been a few anime I've seen that have made me look at certain aspects of the world around me and at myself more closely. Of course there's been domestic films and shows that have also had that effect. Overall though I'd say anime hasn't greatly influenced my world view but has in some minor ways which are more specific to certain titles than anime as a whole.

I'd say literature probably has the greatest effect on my world views of any media type. The detail and depth is just so much more defined in a book than what you see on a screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say anime and manga have influenced my view, but what they have done is rekindled some old interests. I was interested in Japan way before I even knew of anime, then that kinda faded away. Then I started watching anime and it gave that old interest new life, and also got me interested in looking into cultures of the world, including my own.

Manga also resparked my interest in reading. For many years I read magazines, newspapers and the occasional book for school. But I rarely read books for fun. But then manga made me remember how much enjoyment I got out of just sitting down and reading, and now I've got a whole lineup of books that I want to read.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've always been interested in other countries' language and culture and watching annimation from Japan is facinating on this level. Although, it isn't the main reason I watch anime, that would be the great storylines, it's still a significant contributing factor.

I'd love to be multi-lingual, unfortunately, I have nearly no tallent for mastering forign languages otherwise I'd learn them. I get better and pick up more words the more I am exposed to it though. I can speak some basic Spanish because I had two years of it in high school, I also know a few words in German, French, and Russian. Also watching anime helps me prounce and learn a few basic words and sentences of Japanese.

I never really read comics (Aside from random issues of X-Men), but I do read a fair ammount of manga now after watching a lot of anime.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
I read Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami upon learning that Abe got a few of his ideas for Haibane from the book. I have since read another one of Murakami's novels, and the man is a very unique and gifted author.

Oh yeah. I love Murakami. I have 4 of his books now. I've read a handful of other translated japanese authors as well. I certainly would never have done that without my interest in anime.

In general, I would have to say that any experience of foreign culture (read: different) is going to expand your world view. The vast amount of knowledge that you think you have is entirely based upon other peoples thoughts and opinions. Then you have the opportunity to experience something for yourself, and Its an entirely different experience. Pre-conceptions are evil. Life and thought must be experienced first hand.

If it weren't for anime, I never would have studied Japanese, worked for TRSI, went to australia to do asian studies, made many japanese friends, gotten a TESL certificate, etc etc. Sadly, my otakuism has dragged me around on a leash. Embarassed

Edit: spelling
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
If it weren't for anime, I never would have studied Japanese, worked for TRSI, went to australia to do asian studies, made many japanese friends, gotten a TESL certificate, etc etc. Sadly, my otakuism has dragged me around on a leash. Embarassed

Nah. Being dragged around on a leash would be if you spent all of your free time and free money on anime and manga. But you took your fascination in a much more productive direction.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Dilandau wrote:

Nah. Being dragged around on a leash would be if you spent all of your free time and free money on anime and manga. But you took your fascination in a much more productive direction.

That's what I mean when I say I moniter my Otakuism for signs of addiction.

All the Best,

Nani?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gundam F91 made me realize that most bureaucrats are snobbish bastards who act all tough but run away when there's a threat.
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Despite, being a person who lived in Japan, it wasn't until I went to the states that I start watching most of the stuff. The thing I liked about the anime trends in the states is that they focus more on the story, character development, and themes, while the Japanese fans tend to focus on "moe" and cuteness. Rolling Eyes

Since I only watched a small bit of anime compared to most of the people here, every new anime that I am intersted in greatly affects my view.

For example:
Haibane and Wolf's Rain definatly influcence my view of death and the existence/view of the "afterworld."

NGE influenced my view on human pscyhology, and the minor background theme of how human technology is gradually reaching its ethical limits.

Genshiken made me view Akihabara as a different place, besides being a gigantic electronic center. lol

Sorry for not describing details and the lack of further sources of influence. Embarassed
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
Despite, being a person who lived in Japan, it wasn't until I went to the states that I start watching most of the stuff. The thing I liked about the anime trends in the states is that they focus more on the story, character development, and themes, while the Japanese fans tend to focus on "moe" and cuteness. Rolling Eyes

I'm curious, are you saying that Japanese don't see a lot of the messages that we see in anime or just don't talk about them openly, like we might do would with something like Wolf's Rain or Haibane or Planates?

Thank you very much.

All the Best,

Nani?
F.A.I.T.H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm...There are many things that Japanese anime seem to talk about...Let me just quote a few examples:

Gundam Seed: The philosophy about war (As it is always with Gundam Series Rolling Eyes ) and about cloning and the idea of a superior race. It makes me re-think the POV that successful cloning will always result in happiness and success...

Shakugan no Shana: Questions about your existence. Are you really..well, the real you? It's a scary question, especially to those who have faded out of the attentions of their friends and families. This sorta reminds us not to neglect the people around us in an indirect way....

Other than that, most Japanese Anime has thought me things like 'follow your dreams' and 'fight till the end' and stuff like that. No offense intended, but those seem to be the central theme for most animes. Curiously, it did change my point of view about diligent people not getting their results they deserve... Smile
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Hiyah!

Well, thanks to anime I've made a huge bunch of friends in Latin America... Gotta admit it. However...

I have to admit that I only see ANIME. No other series are seen by my eyes (and that includes american animated series)

I'm always thinking fanfics, fanpics and forums.

And most of all... I have a monster-size crush on an anime character.

Besides, I think life is a manga.

Greetings!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ginnogosa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
when i first watched anime i wanted to watch more, but after i kept watching it. i bought a lot of anime and mang books after. so you can sort of call me an anime freek or somthing like that (because of my anime collection). i bought over 100 different anime titles. i have over 1000 anime dvds in my house.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
One thing I want to point out before answering the question: It should be, "How has anime *affected* your world view?", as "affect" means "change" or "alter."

I don't know if I can give any specifics like the others, but it has lessened my cynicism towards many things, and opened various gates of emotion that had been closed before. Even though I watch a lot of cute/romantic shows, I try not to let my view of women/dating be skewed by them, and instead turn to David D., of [url]doubleyourdating.com[/url] for research in that department. [/shameless plug]

Even though the main tendency among fans is to idealize and idolize Japan/Japanese culture, some information in anime makes me appreciate things over here, like how we don't have to work ourselves to death studying for various entrance exams, and have more freedom to drive/work/have fun during that time of our lives. And, I also appreciate how I can walk into a grocery store (in a Midwestern city) and see people who are black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, and so forth without thinking, "Gyaah! Gaikokujin da!"*

Also, I guess I have some philosophical influence from shows like Haibane Renmei, NGE, Texhnolyze, and even Chobits, though it would take me awhile to hammer out exactly what they are.

* "Oh no! A foreigner!" Yes, I know not all Japanese are xenophobic, but there are definite perceptions and stereotypes, like the belief that foreigners are responsible for a large portion of the crime in the country. However they commit fewer crimes overall by far, and in fact as a percentage of all crimes foreigners commit fewer crimes than the percentage that they represent of the population. (That is, foreigners represent maybe 2% of the population, but commit 1.6% of the crimes, or something like that.) Given that many of these crimes are "foreigner-only" crimes like visa violations, the percentage drops even more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2