• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I've seen the Vidscan numbers for them. I'm actually trying to get more information about the sales for an article comparing Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut and cut sales since it's brought up so often.

-t

One thing to keep in mind about the Nielsen Videoscan numbers is that they don't include sales from both Wal-Mart and Toys R' Us, which is where, I suspect, a larger-than-average proportion of the dub DVDs are sold.

Not that DVD sales either way are a priority for a syndicator and merchandiser like 4Kids the way they are for the distributors that cater to the niche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it's called money folks. Naruto= the next big money maker ala, DBZ, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc.

they know there's not a market for One Piece, a big one anyway.

Bull. There's at least as big a market for OP as there is for nearly any uncut anime release you could name. Most fans are aware of it, most fans want to see the uncut version (either out of curiosity or because they're fans of the uncut anime already) the manga is a big seller (not as big as Naruto or Kenshin, but still a success) and the series consistantly turns up on fans' most-wanted lists.

Besides, do you think it's some magical coincidence that Naruto was the most popular series on fansub before it became the "next big money maker?" It probably wouldn't even be on television if the hardcore fans hadn't shown that it could succeed and there was a demand for it. The buzz and word-of-mouth leading up to the premiere of Naruto is what drove its success (it didn't get any more advertising than any other new Toonami shows, and many others-like Teen Titans or Justice League-recieved much more advertising but got lower ratings) and that buzz was generated mostly by otaku. There's already a buzz around One Piece, the kind that would drive sales of an uncut DVD release, especially if it's priced like the Naruto sets will be. Besides, if companies limited themselves to only releasing sure-fire megahits, we'd see about two new series released per year.

There is a sizeable market for One Piece, it's just that it's a market 4Kids neither wants nor respects. Viz does want and respect that market, but if 4Kids won't let Viz sell to them, there's nothing they can do. It's not that Viz doesn't care-their hands are tied.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
Take a look, and you'll see that Naruto is the only release getting release as a boxset from the get-go. Hikaruo no Go is 4 episodes every three months, and on top of that, edited, dub only Zatch Bell and One Piece. Doesn't exactly scream "we give a shit" to me.

Don't forget the GE 999 movies and Rumik World movies they continue to sit on years later. ^_-

Quote:
I don't care. Viz are making an active desicion to put it out, Viz are the ones putting their name to the discs, and they're the ones who SHOULD be releasing it uncut. As such, they are as bad as 4Kids in regards to One Piece for simply taking it up the shoot.

And if they had the money, they'd probably release it uncut, but
it probably all went to Naruto.

Ed:
Quote:
What are you talking about? Viz DOES care about anime fans. Their treatment of Naruto in terms of the dubbing and the DVD releases is what any fan would have wanted.

They don't sub songs and, as Steve pointed out, they charge too much per dvd.

Yashou:
Quote:
If Viz cared about anime fans, they wouldn't let this garbage come to pass.

It's up to Toei.

Quote:
True, but I'm waiting for 4Kids to crash and burn. Then, their licenses will be up for grabs for more competent companies like Geneon, Bandai, ADV, FUNimations, and Viz.

See above.

Quote:
Actually, they do. Unless you can explain otherwise how they're constantly getting uncut pictures for their anime previews in Shonen Jump?

It's called promotional photos.

tempest:
Quote:
Got ratings?

No, but I assume the fact that it got moved to CN in a less-cut form indicates it hasn't reached its intended audience.

Quote:
Imagine the complaints they'd get if they released the unedited version on the DVD? Parents know their kids watch a kid-safe show on TV and suddenly the DVD of the same show has lots of stuff they don't want their kids to see. They complain to the stores, they complain to 4Kids, they complain to the TV stations and they complain to their friends. 4Kids has no choice but to release edited DVDs.

I haven't heard any similar complaints regarding Yu Gi Oh and Shaman King.

Quote:
Any other solution that would make you happy compromises their target market. They can't release unedited DVDs at the same time as the edited DVDs, it confuses buyers and merchants.

Most studios release R-rated and Unrated movies around the same time. I think it's just a greedy attempt to milk as much merchandise out of each property before they lose their appeal, which-as anyone who lived during the 80s can attest for Transformers-isn't a stable business plan. You can already see it in the company's declining stock.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's called promotional photos.

Yeah, because I'm sure companies send out pictures of episodes they skip and have no plans of showing only a few weeks before (and sometimes after) the skipping is confirmed all the time.

Quote:
No, but I assume the fact that it got moved to CN in a less-cut form indicates it hasn't reached its intended audience.

Actually, the CN version isn't edited any more or less.
Maceart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Guess 4kids will do the same with Ojamajo Doremi then...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think they messed up Ojamajo Doremi all that bad? (Other than name changes and music that is).
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I didn't think they messed up Ojamajo Doremi all that bad? (Other than name changes and music that is).

Even if the dub isn't that bad by 4Kids standards, I know that people still generally prefer uncut, bilingual DVDs.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Don't forget the GE 999 movies and Rumik World movies they continue to sit on years later. ^_-

CPM had the rights to all but one of the Rumik World OVA, only Mermaid Scar was released by Viz. That does bring up a point, where in the heck is the re-releases of GE 999 movies and Rumik Worlds on DVD. Oh yeah, nobody execpt the fans will buy it.
GATSU wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I don't care. Viz are making an active desicion to put it out, Viz are the ones putting their name to the discs, and they're the ones who SHOULD be releasing it uncut. As such, they are as bad as 4Kids in regards to One Piece for simply taking it up the shoot.

And if they had the money, they'd probably release it uncut, but
it probably all went to Naruto.
I don't think it's a matter of money. Since 4Kids owns the US rights to it, that is from DVD, TV, toys, what have you, I'm pretty sure it's up them on who and when the uncuts can be released. Viz can shove the same amount of money they paid for Naruto, but I'm sure 4Kids is going to sit on.

I don't know why many users here are going "Boo Viz. Boycott Viz. Die Viz." when it could not be up to them. I don't remember even once where it said, "Viz will releases uncut One Piece." That like hearing what you want to hear, blocking out the what was said. Wasn't there an editorial about "reading between the lines" a few weeks ago. Yeah, Viz see $$$ when they got One Piece, but if your running a company you need $$$ to stay in, even if "true" fans will hate them for not releaseing the uncut verison. After all, where are the uncut verison of Pokemon that Viz/Pioneer releases on DVD/VHS years ago?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
An uncut version of One Piece would sell better than the edited version. That's all there is to it. The show has a larger fansub following and older audience from the Toonami airings and Shonen Jump subscriptions than they do kids on 4Kids TV. These fans should be a higher priority to please because they DO make up the majority and they DO care about how the show gets edited.

Does anyone think this will even be released past Volume 1? Because I sincerely doubt it.
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
KAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNN!!!

Interesting thing about 4Kids dub is the amount of story arcs they're cutting out. I can understand the fillers, but one part that cut out was not only important for that story arc, it's also been brought back up in the recent manga.

I do wish though that Viz Media would release uncut episodes. Viz seems to care more about their readers, even though Al Kahn seems to be influencing them as of late (Zoro is now Zolo in the manga for example).

Here's hoping Bleach doesn't get liscenced by 4Kids!
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, uncut will sell alot better then the cut verison, heck, it's one of those "duh" type of statments, but the point is, why blame Viz. It might be out of Viz's hands when comes to cut and uncut. Anybody can grab One Piece R2 DVDs, translate, and sell. Heck, alot of people are doing, but won't be ligit if don't ge the okay from 4Kids. As for sub only, I doubt it. I doubt even more when it comes to One Piece uncut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
tempest wrote:
Got ratings?

Skipping other shows.

FOX* (4Kids TV) 1.7/8 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 1.8/8 (10/9/05)
*2005-2006 Season Premiere Weekend

FOX (4Kids TV) 1.3/6 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 1.1/5 (17/9/05)

FOX (4Kids TV) 1.1/5 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 1.0/4 (24/9/05)

FOX (4Kids TV) 1.4/6 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 1.1/5 (1/10/05)

FOX (4Kids TV) 1.4/7 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 1.3/6 (8/10/05)

FOX (4Kids TV) 1.3/6 Avg. (8a-12n)
One Piece 0.6/3 (15/10/05)

Averages out to: 1.1/5 In case you're out of loop, that's underperforming.

Without the numbers of the other Fox shows for context, it doesn't say much of anything at all.
DBW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
One Piece is such an utterly and completely lost-cause in this country, it really makes me cry.

Well, I think One Piece is too big of a series to just become an altogether lost-cause. I'm sure it'll eventually see an uncut North American release. Either 4Kids will lose the series, or they'll shape up and realize that there's a demand for it, either way I couldn't see it never being released uncut. Unfortunately I really don't see this happening anytime soon, so a while ago I just gave in and started buying the R2 releases. I figure it's better than nothing.

But to get an uncut R1 release sooner than later, I think a lot of people really have to be behind it, and right now it seems like not very many people are interested in a fight. Maybe ANN could start some sort of a professional rally or online activity and lobby it to 4Kids and VIZ to show that there's demand for uncut One Piece. It seems like lots of people have a voice and opinion on this matter, but without some leadership they just can't get a good foothold. I've actually sent letters (e-mails) to 4Kids and just got some typical electronic "thanks for your concern" responses, but if a lot of people could do it collectively and professionally, it might prove that we mean business. Very Happy

Quote:
And it also actually makes me appreciate *to death* the DBZ situation when I take a step back and look at the company FUNimation has become from 1995-2005. I'll take mid/late-90's FUNimation (and Gen's wacky comments) over this nonsense any day of the week.

I didn't like a lot of their BS comments, but I liked the fact that webmasters and "regular people" could actually speak to the company and at least get some answers (even if they weren't true). It was a lot better than today, where companies like 4Kids appear before us as untouchable figures. It seems like it's impossible to ask them a question, or make a comment to them.

DMu7434680 wrote:
The DVD might not sell very well if it is the edited version the Uncut has a lot more to offer even if you get the Import type DVD (most likely to have some sort of english subtitles at least) even if it has the japanese language.

If you're talking about the Japanese disks, no, they have no subtitles.

Quote:
They should realease the Uncut version if they want sells or people mightl get the imported version that they have Uncut.

Well, this is exactly what I ended up doing, but I don't picture many others following suit. Unfortunately the Japanese disks are extremely expensive, and have low episode counts to boot (3-4 episodes per disk). On the plus side, a lot of the disks have really cool and entertaining extras (Pandaman's Journey comes to mind).
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Without the numbers of the other Fox shows for context, it doesn't say much of anything at all.

http://cynopsis.com -> Cynopsis Kids

I generally find the ratings by searching up One Piece, which is BTW the 6th or 7th lowest rated show on 4Kids TV, and not by a margin.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I wrote something about this earlier.

An organized campaign needs to cover as many bases as possible.

1) Write letters
2) Buy the DVD and return it to stores saying that it's been unacceptably altered from its original format. Find a way to let 4kids and viz know you've done this (send them a copy of the bill + return receipt)
3) petition - sort of. E-petition's suck, but you want a centralized place to count the number of people participating. Perhaps ask people to fax or mail in a copy of the letter they send to 4kids/viz
4) Boycott as I said earlier, I don't recommend this, but you can chose to punish viz. Boycotting the One Piece DVDs won't achieve anything, Boycotting viz's other products would.
5) Be polite and make sure you website is simple, informative and gramatically correct.
6) come up with more ideas...

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8