• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saki: Episode Side A (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, kind of a bizarre arrangement, especially since there seems to be a different ... I don't want to say tone, but certainly a different style ... to this series, compared to the original. I like this incarnation just fine so far, but considering how the original ended, I would have been happier to see a direct sequel of that, along with the style of showing the mahjong games the way they did in the first.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Agree with you Blood-, first season being so animated it is going to feel a bit like who framed Roger Rabit, I would have been happy withe old style. But they must know what they are doing right?

I was let down that we weren't getting a sequel, but a spinoff that is a bit different, and now we are going to be teased about a Season we might not see.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's not really a sequel because we're not going to see Kiyosumi's matches. We're going to see Achiga's matches as well as the other schools who are on 'side A' of the tournament bracket. I imagine that if this sells well (and when the manga author feels comfortable that she knows where the story will go) then we will see 'side B' of the tournament bracket as well as the tournament finals animated in a second season of Saki, which would be the sequel.

the problem is the manga is in a monthly magazine and Saki's team is still playing round 1. right now is spoiler[Saki's demonic power vs Godly power.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
No, Kiyosumi is now spoiler[in the second round] of Nationals... been there for what seems like forever now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
Seriously the main story moved that little in the main series manga, that makes it all the more confuseing that they would make this series so quick to get to where it is, I mean people would watch/buy just for cute girls.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
We should see the girls' team brackets in the next episode, and that should answer questions about how much this anime is a part of the main series.

As for the progress of the main series manga, the teams are in the fifth of five battles in the 2nd tournament round, which means it won't be long before they start the 3rd round, the semi-finals. The 1st tournament round is sometimes called the preliminary round, so some refer to the 2nd round as the 1st round. After the 1st round, there is a tournament format change and the players compete on large broadcast stages.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what's going on with Shizuno. It may be that they decided to make her more of a main character than originally planned. She's certainly fired up to meet Nodoka, but perhaps she's more motivated to compete against Nodoka. Ako and Harue are more interested in winning the nationals, I think, while Kuro, Yuu, and Arata are competiting mainly to foster their current relationships.

Shizuno plays the fifth position, meaning she'll have to compete against some of mahjong "monsters", possibly including Saki. She's more tenacious than Yuuki, but she doesn't have the latter's power. Achiga is underpowered compared to Kiyosumi. I wonder how much Shizuno will get the typical shounen main character power upgrade.

Shizuno is also undersized. She was taller than Ako when they were sixth graders but has since been surpassed ...
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
ChrisH8 wrote:
Shizuno plays the fifth position, meaning she'll have to compete against some of mahjong "monsters", possibly including Saki. She's more tenacious than Yuuki, but she doesn't have the latter's power. Achiga is underpowered compared to Kiyosumi. I wonder how much Shizuno will get the typical shounen main character power upgrade.
We don't really know anyone's strength other than Kuro, do we? Calling them underpowered might be premature.

I suspect Shizuno is kept short so that the jersey looks cuter. :p
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Agree with you Blood-, first season being so animated it is going to feel a bit like who framed Roger Rabit, I would have been happy withe old style. But they must know what they are doing right?

The experience shows that often they don't know what they are doing.

I am rather disappointed with this side story. The main attraction of the original Saki was the Mahjong game itself and, of course, the cute girls. It's a disaster to have a tournament series without the actual mahjong games... I wonder where the story is heading since first three episodes pretty much rushed through all Saki time-line, starting even before that actually. Although the moment they met Saki at the end of third episode was damn epic. I am still optimistic about this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well we know one of the main characters styles now, spoiler[Kuro gets a lot of dora and looks like she did surprise by throwing good choices away, plus she got an imagine spot with dragons.] But they passed through without showing us the other girls, it is totally throwing away time it could fill, well we got some more time with the Saki main cast which I suppose would not be able to be put in its sequel.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Kuro's style was discussed in the first episode, wasn't it? I seem to remember Nodoka making an issue out of it. spoiler[I also think CR messed up..."Dragon Road" seems like it should be "Dragon Lord".]

I think we'll get to see more players next episode, now that Senriyama is up. They've been playing that up too much for them to just blow past it. I suspect a lot of time is going to be given to Shiraitodai though, so they have to keep things moving.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
... spoiler[I also think CR messed up..."Dragon Road" seems like it should be "Dragon Lord".]
Also, the explanation for nobetan could've been better by simply applying the term to Kuro's hand rather than using some (incorrect) hypothetical as an example. Kuro has a double pair-wait for the 4 or 7 of bamboo.

Yes, Kuro is given spoiler[dragon imagery and some effects. Overall though, they are less than what Saki, Nodoka, and Koromo have. It's on par with Mihoko's] and more than Hisa's. The latter third-years also have quite a bit of skill.

Quote:
I think we'll get to see more players next episode, now that Senriyama is up. They've been playing that up too much for them to just blow past it. I suspect a lot of time is going to be given to Shiraitodai though, so they have to keep things moving.
They made spoiler[Toki's pupils a fiery green, lol. Besides it possibly indicating a special ability, some think that she's jealous. Recall that they put a reflection of Kuro in Ryuuka's eyes.]

As for Shiraitodai, only two out Achiga, Senriyama, Shiraitodai, and others can advance to the final round. You'll have to decide which two you want in there. I want Achiga to make it, but some prefer Senriyama instead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Jesus, why would anyone who likes this show NOT want the main cast in the finals?
ggqt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Jesus, why would anyone who likes this show NOT want the main cast in the finals?

I personally like it when characters from the main cast lose. Because it is usually followed by a bit of drama; they have to over come a internal problem rather than an actual one, the best friend tries to help them back up, and the we get a cool training montage.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. But unless I'm missing something, if the main cast loses the finals there's no where else to go, is there? Wouldn't they have to wait until next year before getting another shot?

One thing I do find bizarre is why Shizuno feels she can't see Bit Tits until the finals. They are both in the same hotel, right? Why not just ring her up and have a gay old time ... "reminiscing" heh-heh-heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12