• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
latest excuse for no uncut 4Kids shows

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I can hear everyone groaning...

Quote:
Bryn Tanner
to jlyons
More options 11:40 pm (0 minutes ago)
Dear Joe Lyons,

I'm a big fan of the 4Kids shows "Yu-Gi-Oh!" and "Shaman King", as well as "One Piece", "Tokyo Mew Mew", and "Yu-Gi-Oh! GX". Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found out that there were uncut DVDs released for the first two, and I bought them immediately. But I was disappointed when I found out that the uncut versions were put on hold, so I did some research. I found this quote from you in a Yu-Gi-Oh! press release:

"Our uncut versions have demonstrated a strong appeal with the loyal anime enthusiasts and have been proven sellers at specialty retailers around the country," said Joe Lyons, Director of Home Entertainment, 4Kids Entertainment.

But then I found this from Al Kahn:

"We do those, at some level, for the anime fan and those things do, you know, reasonably well. The market for them just isn't as large as the one for the cut version.", and "I don't know, I don't work in that area so I don't know what's going on with them. I think again everything is related to how we release the cut version." (both quotes from same interview)

From that third quote, I would think that you'd be a better source to shed some light on this issue; why were the uncuts for Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King postponed? And also, will there be any uncut releases for the other series, and if so, is work being done?

Thank you for your time,
Bryn Tanner

P.S.: Please respond ASAP. This issue is very confusing to me and I'd like to know what the heck is going on soon.

G-mail notifier was being a bitch and didn't inform me of it when I actually got the bloody thing, so I missed his response until a few minutes ago:

Quote:
Joe Lyons
to me
More options 9:15 am (12 hours ago)
It's an issue of cost vs. sales. All the shows have to be rerecorded and captioned and the return is not profitable.

Sent him this in response:

Quote:
Bryn Tanner
to Joe
More options 9:24 pm (0 minutes ago)
Thank you, but one question - if re-recording is an issue, why not just release the DVDs as subtitled Japanese versions?

- Bryn

funny how uncut DVDs go from "proven hits" and top 25 anime DVDs on amazon.com, to being not profitable enough. and releasing them sub-only, I would imagine, requires far less effort than it would to release bilingual.

in short, 4Kids being 4Kids.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight - they've got the time and money to butcher these great anime series to death, yet they can't simply take the time to redo the dubs and restore previously-edited footage? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Just another reason why that company must be shut down.

Heh, speaking of 4Shit, I found a card advertising One Piece in the cafeteria once and someone wrote "DIE" next to the 4Kids logo. And they even pasted a picture of Al Khan's face on top of Usopp's and made a word bubble saying "ANIME IS FOR LITTLE BOYS LOL". It was stupid, yet funny.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Heh, speaking of 4Shit, I found a card advertising One Piece in the cafeteria once and someone wrote "DIE" next to the 4Kids logo. And they even pasted a picture of Al Khan's face on top of Usopp's and made a word bubble saying "ANIME IS FOR LITTLE BOYS LOL". It was stupid, yet funny.

Doubt it.

Yeah, this is a pretty big shame in general, but I think I've learnt after the whole "we can't produce a DVD even if our life depends on it" that 4Kids are generally shifty, so whatever.

R2/R4s, here I go!
gundamlion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
4kids is NOT an anime company, if they were, they would release anime uncut, they're just using the anime name and titles to profit while not having the responosibilty to deal with ignorant parent's complaints about the content of the anime and take the time to explaine to those ignorant parents that just because it's animated, doesn't mean that it's for kids. I say that we should all stop buying 4kids products and let the jerks at 4kids finally go out of business so other true anime companies(bandai,adv,etc.) can bring these anime, uncut, to the U.S.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
gundamlion wrote:
4kids is NOT an anime company, if they were, they would release anime uncut, they're just using the anime name and titles to profit while not having the responosibilty to deal with ignorant parent's complaints about the content of the anime and take the time to explaine to those ignorant parents that just because it's animated, doesn't mean that it's for kids. I say that we should all stop buying 4kids products and let the jerks at 4kids finally go out of business so other true anime companies(bandai,adv,etc.) can bring these anime, uncut, to the U.S.

Few flaws with that. It's already been established that 4Kids main motivation has been kids. Granted that no one here would, in a mjority, buy things from 4kids, we can't exactly stop buying things from them right?

Besides, the anime they pick up were meant for kids anyway, it's just they take it a lil' bit too far when adapting it.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
true is was for kids.. but the level of tolerence in out "blame-anything-violent-for-our-kids-mistakes" somethings for kids in japan should be released on a more teen block like toonami rather than kid wb where there are also a lot of gradeschoolers
(like one piece for example..)

if 4kids is one of those companies who only care about the money and not the ingrity of the anime itself.. then why hold all the uncut versions? they can sure earn a lot of money from a lot of disapointed fans.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
true is was for kids.. but the level of tolerence in out "blame-anything-violent-for-our-kids-mistakes" somethings for kids in japan should be released on a more teen block like toonami rather than kid wb where there are also a lot of gradeschoolers

Except that something like Yugioh and Pokemon don't have general teenage appeal, though. One Piece might have, but it has problems in itself, before you start blaming things on 4kids.

Quote:
if 4kids is one of those companies who only care about the money and not the ingrity of the anime itself.. then why hold all the uncut versions? they can sure earn a lot of money from a lot of disapointed fans.

A show about seling games and cards doesnt exactly have a lot of integrity to float on, but I mean come on, since when did they deny they were in it for the money? Money is the primary reason for a business!
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
A show about seling games and cards doesnt exactly have a lot of integrity to float on, but I mean come on, since when did they deny they were in it for the money? Money is the primary reason for a business!

The thing is (if you're referring to Yu-Gi-Oh here), the uncuts outsold the edited DVDs. Yep, that's right. In fact they're doing so right now.

v.4 was up for pre-order about a week ago (before Amazon took it off), and it outsold the other edited DVD coming out, "The Final Face Off", by quite a large number. As the numbers stand right now, Yu-Gi-Oh v.1 "The Shadow Games" is outselling "The Complete First Season" (edit.) by a margin. It's small but it's there and it counts.

Amazon's sales rankings have always been a little shaky but overall, uncuts > edits.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I was never denying that.

I've just got to ask though, what sort of range of people do amazon's sales cover, anyhow?

Oh this is all a silly mess :/
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I've just got to ask though, what sort of range of people do amazon's sales cover, anyhow?

The reason why the practice of using Amazon sales stats as "proof" for anything is suspect is that the anime stats would tend to be skewed a bit in favour of harder-to-find DVDs (perhaps not over the absolute bestsellers, but certainly higher than they would likely otherwise be). I don't have proof the other way and this is just supposition, but I suspect that the bulk of the dub Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs are bought by parents at mainstream retail outlets like Wal-Mart where they are readily available. When the niche wants to get Yu-Gi-Oh subtitled, generally-speaking, unless they have a video or comic book store nearby with quite a sizable selection of anime from all distributors, they'd usually have to resort to ordering online, and a lot of those sales would be concentrated at Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
I remember my brother told me that 4Kids wanted their cut dvds wanted to sell more.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11707485/

I say this all it has to show about 4Kids. Funny and true at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
I remember my brother told me that 4Kids wanted their cut dvds wanted to sell more.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11707485/

I say this all it has to show about 4Kids. Funny and true at the same time.

You're just finding out about that NOW? Damn!

Gotta love "FU Zero". Very Happy
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Joe Lyons
to me
More options 9:15 am (12 hours ago)
It's an issue of cost vs. sales. All the shows have to be rerecorded and captioned and the return is not profitable.

Well, maybe if they didn't do two different recordings and just dubbed the series uncut (though they wouldn't have to include curse words if they wanted to save even more money on the Uncut DVD/Cut TV thing) with the innapropriate stuff cut from TV broadcast (meaning that there would only be half as many cuts to their shows, given most of their edits have been utterly confusing, pointless, and harmful to the storyline) then cost vs. sales of uncut DVDs wouldn't be an issue.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

Which is just stupid business. I mean, if you're running 4Kids and your uncuts sell well, are you going to yank them in favor of the product that's selling less because you favor it? Isn't a major factor of 4Kids butchering their shows money?

Also, to the other poster: Target, Wal*Mart, Best Buy, etc. actually sold (all of the Best Buys near me still do, actually) uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs alongside the edits. Whether or not they outsold the edits in those types of stores, I don't know, but I do know that it's not rare to see discounted edited 3-packs at Target.

Haven't seen Shaman King anywhere outside of Best Buy, though.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

Except that something like Yugioh and Pokemon don't have general teenage appeal, though. One Piece might have, but it has problems in itself, before you start blaming things on 4kids.

That's why i said One Piece for example because i did reconize that some series are for kids. Yu-gi-oh i think it would be too, but the thing about yugioh is that card games are usually played by kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2