• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS:SAC and THE MATRIX???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I heard recently that matrix was inspired by Ghost in the shell:Stand alone complex.Is that true?I heard this from an extremely reliable source.(To be quite frank,i have a friend who puts down anime but is a fanatic when it comes to the movie and this would be a slap on the face to him).Quite frankly, i hated the matrix(no feeling) but am a fan of GITS:SAC.Any opinions?
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It’s probably based on the first GITS movie from '96 and not GITS: SAC which was aired in '02 3 years after The Matrix. This article supports that claim.
From the article:
It could also be argued that The Matrix was originally based on or inspired by the concept of Ghost hacking, which is taken from the anime science-fiction film Ghost in the Shell. Producer Joel Silver stated in a Matrix making-of documentary that the Wachowski brothers showed him a "Japanimation" and told him they wanted to make a film like that, but live-action.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
It’s probably based on the first GITS movie from '96 and not GITS: SAC which was aired in '02 3 years after The Matrix. This article supports that claim.
From the article:
It could also be argued that The Matrix was originally based on or inspired by the concept of Ghost hacking, which is taken from the anime science-fiction film Ghost in the Shell. Producer Joel Silver stated in a Matrix making-of documentary that the Wachowski brothers showed him a "Japanimation" and told him they wanted to make a film like that, but live-action.

Considering that Wikipedia is "peer-reviewed" (i.e. I could go in and deface it with lies, or someone can put their own slanted viewpoints) I loathe to consider that an "okay source."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
There are a few obvious visual nods to the first Ghost in the Shell film in The Matrix, but the story itself owes a lot more to William Gibson and Grant Morrison than it does Masamune Shirow and Mamoru Oshii.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
There are a few obvious visual nods to the first Ghost in the Shell film in The Matrix, but the story itself owes a lot more to William Gibson and Grant Morrison than it does Masamune Shirow and Mamoru Oshii.

And, as usual, Daniel F. Galouye, who actually pioneered the theme (in his seminal work Simulacron-3), is completely forgotten.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember Joel Silver saying on a documentary on the Animatrix DVD that the Wachowski brothers were originally going to remake the first GitS movie, but Joel Silver told them that they shouldn't. Probably a good decision, but if Joel Silver was really smart he would've told them not to make any sequels to the original Matrix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Aside from a few tiny things they don't really have all that much in common in my opinion I highly enjoy both franchises myself, except for Matrix Revolutions which just ended badly.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The Matrix movies were influenced by Ghost in the Shell in the way that most things are influenced: indirectly.

I saw all three movies before I ever saw GITS. I know lots of people who said that this or that was taken from GITS, and I didn't know what they were talking about until I saw GITS fro myself a few months ago.

A couple of elements from GITS are in the Matrix movies, most notably the jacking in through a port in the head and the questioning of reality. That's about it.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
That and a great deal of The Matrix's cinematography is very close to that of Mamoru Oshii's original Ghost in the Shell movie.

However, one really can't talk about The Matrix's inspirative sources without pointing to the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and the monumental movie it inspired - Blade Runner.

In fact, Blade Runner is directly and indirectly responsible for the great cyberpunk animes of the 80's including Ghost in the Shell and Bubblegum Crisis.

Blade Runner was - aside from Syd Mead's still astounding vision of a future metropolis - potentially the first great sci-fi movie that inserted the philosophical angle of "What is Humanity?". From Blade Runner, especially due to it's phenomeonal popularity in Japan, we got Ghost in the Shell's dive into the same question.

And since Blade Runner has become so seminal in the sci-fi tradition, The Matrix almost couldn't help but be a product - directly or indirectly - of it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote
Not to dig up an old thread:

http://www.mkygod.com/matrixgits/page6.html

Comparisons to GITS and Matrix.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Morrison is pissed that the brothers ripped him off...poorly.

http://suicidegirls.com/words/Grant%20Morrison/

(Kinda have to go down 75% of the page down to see his response.)
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
soulless_mariuno wrote:
I heard recently that matrix was inspired by Ghost in the shell:Stand alone complex.Is that true?
No, the orginal Maxtrix film did have a lot of influences from the orginal Ghost In The Shell Film.

The producers themselves are anime fans, and they don't hide the fact that they were inspired by GITS.

IMHO, the last matrix film was inspired by Dragon Ball Z with that fight between Neo and Smith.

soulless_mariuno wrote:
Quite frankly, i hated the Matrix
Was it just the first film?
Or was it because the 2nd and 3rd films where nothing more that a special effects wankfest?

The Matrix is going to be on of those movie trilogies where I am not going to complete the set in DVD collection.

Last edited by Digital Dreamer on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Digital Dreamer wrote:

IMHO, the last matrix film was inspired by Dragon Ball Z.

Explanation please.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This may be a little off topic but I don't think anybody's going to deny that Advent Children has a lot of fight scenes directly-related to the Matrix Trilogy... That doesn't mean particularly anything other than the fact that AC made the Matrix look like a fool. ^^

Also, this is just a small tidbit for anybody that didn't know - the green letters that were on the "matrix screen" is Japanese.
Traxan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Have any of you heard of the woman suing the Wachowskis, claiming she wrote the story in 1982? I read the outline, it's surprisingly similar. It was post-apocalyptic, the machines had taken over the world, and a kid was selling hacker programs designed to disrupt the machines. We never did find out what was on that Minidisc Neo sold, did we?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2