• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues A.D. Vision, Sentai, Others for US$8 Million

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
A few things to keep in mind as we discuss this:

Nobody has presented any evidence yet. All we have is the "he said/she said" of the conflict. Obviously both sides believe quite strongly in their side of the story, or it would not be going to court. Any leaping to conclusions, without seeing the contracts in question, is totally talking out of your butt. I read all the legal filings myself, and I can't even guess who has the upper hand.

It'll be a long time before we see a resolution to this. Hopefully the two sides can reach a settlement, because this sort of thing is very, very expensive to litigate, and it will cost both sides a lot of money. I think we would all prefer that money be spent on anime licenses.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
And next week Viz Media HQ is on fire. Very Happy

Seriously the bad news just keeps on coming...this can't possibly end well either way...
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Would the fallout of this only be some titles being lost to another company? Or would it be worse?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's like the Power Cosmic was done making 2011 the Christmas episode of Eastenders, got to 2012 and had someone whisper in it's ethereal ear "Bet you can't make THIS year even more batshibe insane!"
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
A few things to keep in mind as we discuss this:

Nobody has presented any evidence yet. All we have is the "he said/she said" of the conflict. Obviously both sides believe quite strongly in their side of the story, or it would not be going to court. Any leaping to conclusions, without seeing the contracts in question, is totally talking out of your butt. I read all the legal filings myself, and I can't even guess who has the upper hand.

It'll be a long time before we see a resolution to this. Hopefully the two sides can reach a settlement, because this sort of thing is very, very expensive to litigate, and it will cost both sides a lot of money. I think we would all prefer that money be spent on anime licenses.

Well said. But no matter who is right, fact is Funimation is out money both for the court fees and for the money they apparently never got from ADV.

Sentai's relation, I have no idea about because I'm not a law person or anything like that...but as much as I hate them for their insane prices I hope they make it out rather unscathed.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
If this is anything like what I went through, then Funimation probably wont win. When the company I co-owned decided to go into a new direction, we went through the exact same process as Sentai and changed everything about the company except for the people that are in control. As a result, all the past balances and other things that had happened to us before basically disappeared - no creditors, no debts, no nothing. As a result, we, as a new company, can't be touched legally for anything that happened to our old company name.

So, if what happened to me is similar, then Funimation isn't going to win because Sentai is untouchable from a legal standpoint because they aren't the company that made a deal with ARM and Sojitz - that was ADV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

So, if what happened to me is similar, then Funimation isn't going to win because Sentai is untouchable from a legal standpoint because they aren't the company that made a deal with ARM and Sojitz - that was ADV.

If what you say is correct, then what's the point of the law system if it can be so easily tricked. It blows my mind that you can just erase all your debts like this.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
A very valid point, but doesn't Funimation have the deepest pockets in this? I'm kind of afraid that all they want is use this opportunity to make these smallest companies go bankrupt with all the legal fees... I'm hoping that's just my own baseless assumptions, but I really do have a bad feeling about this.

The NA anime industry doesn't need an all-out legal war between Funimation and Sentai.

Last edited by fireaxe on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
What the hell?The sky is falling on both sides!This does nothing to help the American Anime Industry other then making both sides look foolish while they kill through unnecessary amounts of money in court!8/
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Is FUNimation stupid or something? Way to hurt your own market retards...

FUNimation lost a lot of respect points from me with this stupid move.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

If what you say is correct, then what's the point of the law system if it can be so easily tricked. It blows my mind that you can just erase all your debts like this.

You have a lot to learn about American law.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a background in law and I've only taken a few classes at a high school level but it seems like this was going to happen. Even if ADV was reformed in to Sentai the fact is all that was was in legal limbo for years.

Both sides are going to loose money and it's just going to end up with some agreement out of court for how much they owe most likely. Or due to the fact ADV no longer exists and Sentai never had the right to any shows Funimation got from ADV it might be thrown out or what's being charged might change.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Yikes! Not a law person so I won't comment on the situation itself except to say: This doesn't sound good at all.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

It's not as uncommon as you would think, I've been involved in similar approaches to corporate structuring / restructuring that stood up in court and seen others that did not.

Sadly, In the end only the lawyers come out ahead.

Mark Gosdin
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I am going to wait until this is over and see who is wrong before I even think about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16