• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question: Rampant Piracy?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of a few anime/manga titles, and recently, I purchased some items on eBay, however when I received them, they were sad bootlegs/reproductions of the originals.

I also noticed that there are quite a few vendors that sell these kinds of illegal goods.

To make it worse, I go to some fan sites and even the fans are distributing the goods for free. How in the world can you call yourself a fan and respect the art when you're not respecting the distribution of the product?

So my question is: What do I do about this? Should I report this to the authorities? Why is this community running rampant like this? Who buys legitimate products here?

Post your feedback and let's discuss this because I'm very interested in this issue.

Thanks!
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
dude, apparently you're new to the community cause fansubs/scanning is not anything new. reporting isn't them isn't really gonna do any good. there's a certain torrent site i'm sure many probably already know that distributes anime dvds right when they hit the shelves, and has been doing it for quite some time, but they still haven't been busted. ther's really not much you can do about it besides send an email to the companies or somthing.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dynamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
You're right. I am new here. Smile

And you made an interesting point. Personally, I have no doubt that the industry is fairly lax in enforcing piracy--I mean, I look for originals as hard as I can, but most of the stuff I see are *not* originals...so it's obvious there isn't much being done about it.

So I guess my question really is, "Why?" Is there sufficient revenue for these companies that they don't want to waste time dealing with piracy? I don't want to hear opinions, I want to hear facts. Is there any news or anything written regarding this matter? Has anyone ever been busted for illegal distribution?

I'm just extremely passionate about some of this stuff I read and watch. When I compare it to anything that the U.S. can produce, there just isn't anything close. There's so much to be admired in anime and manga, so that's why I don't mind droppin' the $$ for the goods. Honestly, I'd love to hand deliver my cash to the actual people who conceptualize, create, draw, etc. this stuff...but I guess giving it to the distributors is (sadly) the next best thing. Money-hungry companies can go to hell, but again, this stuff is worth my money.

Thanks.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
It's pretty much useless to try to get the government involved when Hong Kong (The origin of most bootlegs) authorites won't even do hardly anything about their rampant bootleg problem. Last year they did take down a few factories though, so at least they're trying. I believe it was the company FX that got raided. They were producing some really good quality knock offs which I suspect made them a big target.

The only thing you can do is make sure you aren't duped again by following several guidlines for common signs you're about to get ripped off with a bootleg:

1) The region code is listed as 0 or is nonexistant
    2) It has subs in Chineese
    3) You bought it from EBay or Amazon Marketplace
    4) There are a different usually lower number of discs than the official release
    5) The series hasn't been released in your region yet
    6) There is currently no official boxed set available for the series in question in your area

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dynamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

I've already experienced some of those through experience. Ha!

It's funny how bad these bootlegs are, too--the anime is pixelated, you can see the compression artifacts. It's pretty pathetic. I'm sure many people don't give a damn about it, but man, I love watching and hearing at the highest quality possible. The quality is about as bad as watching it with the English dub. Oh, the horror.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah they compress it so that they can fit more episodes on less discs. This usually results in shoddy video and audio, although there are good reproductions, that don't have that problem as well it depends on who makes them.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
I say you report them to ebay or anybody. Getting rid of some seller is better than nothing. I notice a lot of bootleg seller on ebay too, and I report them here
I notice that if 2 or more people report, it will get their ebay account ban. Even if it seem useless, we all have to do our part. Hopefully the anime community wouldn't be filled with such llecher and bootleggers and we can get anime for a fair price.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
I say you report them to ebay or anybody. Getting rid of some seller is better than nothing. I notice a lot of bootleg seller on ebay too, and I report them here
I notice that if 2 or more people report, it will get their ebay account ban. Even if it seem useless, we all have to do our part. Hopefully the anime community wouldn't be filled with such llecher and bootleggers and we can get anime for a fair price.

its comin. I hope ADV is sellin those thinpacks well, becuase the deals on those are killer. If other companies see that working they will follow suit.

And now that anime is more popular I have managed to get a lot of 29.95 anime easy for 19.95 at many major outlets like Best Buy or Suncoast.

And i raid the used bargain bins a lot looking for older domestic releases. Most of my collection I have paid usually around 9.95 a disk.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
dynamike wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

It's funny how bad these bootlegs are, too--the anime is pixelated, you can see the compression artifacts. It's pretty pathetic. I'm sure many people don't give a damn about it, but man, I love watching and hearing at the highest quality possible. The quality is about as bad as watching it with the English dub. Oh, the horror.

We're not talking about dubs, so shut it, smart guy. We don't care about your otaku opinions.
ChibiBritt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
dynamike wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

We're not talking about dubs, so shut it, smart guy. We don't care about your otaku opinions.

I'm sure he doesn't care much for your opinion either. Let him have his own. And for the record...just because he prefers subs does NOT make him an otaku.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
But this topic isn't about dubs. He's just trolling. Never mind, let's get back to the piracy stuff.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Read through this tread, it's pretty helpfull. It can be found in the Retail section of the Forums. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401

My advice to you is to find a retailer (like Anime Nation, Right Stuff, Best Buy, or Suncoast) that only sells legit items. If you shop around these and other retailers you can find great deals on legit products. I made the same mistake as you when I first started buying anime. I bought a Cowboy Bebop boot from Amizon's Marketplace; I've never shopped there since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dynamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely use this as much as I can.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The only thing you can do is make sure you aren't duped again by following several guidlines for common signs you're about to get ripped off with a bootleg:

1) The region code is listed as 0 or is nonexistant
2) It has subs in Chineese
3) You bought it from EBay or Amazon Marketplace
4) There are a different usually lower number of discs than the official release
5) The series hasn't been released in your region yet
6) There is currently no official boxed set available for the series in question in your area

Yes well said, Kruszer.

Another few pointers would be to check the product ID, e.g. Alion, and EverAnime or SonMay have product ID numbers which start with "A8", or "GGG". This applies to CDs.
CDs are also a tricky one to distinguish between the real and the fake. They have the same covers, and on eBay they don't put the product code on their too, just the image of the front cover.

Best thing for buying anime CDs is to see if they have a good photo of the CD so that you can see the item code on the cover. Or if you're unsure, search for the bootleg CD, find the bootleg code e.g. SonMay "GGG-577", and then ask them what the product code is, or request a better photo of the item.

For DVDs it's obvious Kruszer like had pointed out. Best thing and perhaps the most obvious is the stupid cover. Laughing heheh
The covers are no where like the originals. Or moreso, the price. Wink Love Hina full boxset (3 DVDs) starting bid at $2.99.
Pathetic isn't it? Wink

Starwind Armada wrote:

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I tend to react the same way, but I resist it as it simply feeds them for their laughter.

ChibiBritt wrote:
I'm sure he doesn't care much for your opinion either. Let him have his own. And for the record...just because he prefers subs does NOT make him an otaku.

Heheh, very true. I'm almost an otaku though, Laughing I never go out, and all I do is collect anime/CDs/manga. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1