• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clamp No Kiseki Question!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
I'm currently collecting the clamp no kiseki magazines, and I have the first two volumes, the only ones available. My question is about the chess pieces that comes with it. Why are there two white queens? In Volume 1 I got a white Queen Sakura, and now in Volume 2 I got a white Queen Tomoyo.....
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Mayko wrote:
I'm currently collecting the clamp no kiseki magazines, and I have the first two volumes, the only ones available. My question is about the chess pieces that comes with it. Why are there two white queens? In Volume 1 I got a white Queen Sakura, and now in Volume 2 I got a white Queen Tomoyo.....

There are three pieces released with every set, and the series runs for 12 issues, so 3*12 = 36 pieces. But a chess set only needs 32 pieces (16 on each side) so there are some duplicates.

You get two white queens (Sakura & Tomoyo), two black kings (Kamui and Fuuma), three white bishops (Miyuki-chan, Fai and Kohaku) and three black bishops (Watanuki, Subaru and Seishiro).
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
There are three pieces released with every set, and the series runs for 12 issues, so 3*12 = 36 pieces. But a chess set only needs 32 pieces (16 on each side) so there are some duplicates.
Am I the only one that thinks that the chess set might be a bit over priced when it is completed? Given that each edition is $30 and there are 12 editions that you need to collect to complete the set you are looking at over $360 total (given taxes in some areas you may run close to $400 total). The pieces are nice and all, but I can't justify paying that much for a plastic chess set.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks that the chess set might be a bit over priced when it is completed? Given that each edition is $30 and there are 12 editions that you need to collect to complete the set you are looking at over $360 total (given taxes in some areas you may run close to $400 total). The pieces are nice and all, but I can't justify paying that much for a plastic chess set.

I think it is a bit overpriced, but that should tell you that it is obviously not for casual buyers anyway. For someone like me who is a hardcore collector and Cardcaptor Sakura fan, I just couldn't resist something like this.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:

But it's really nice plastic ...

The Japanese editions are cheaper (but only by about $5 per issue, once you factor in the shipping). As a figurine enthusiast, oftentimes CLAMP fan, and lover of chess even though I suck at it, I can justify the purchase price to myself. It's basically like buying an anime DVD every month. And given how few people are willing to go through with the entire series, the rarity of a complete set will be worth it.
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

The Japanese editions are cheaper (but only by about $5 per issue, once you factor in the shipping). As a figurine enthusiast, oftentimes CLAMP fan, and lover of chess even though I suck at it, I can justify the purchase price to myself. It's basically like buying an anime DVD every month. And given how few people are willing to go through with the entire series, the rarity of a complete set will be worth it.

They should have made the chess pieces a better material then just plastic...like wood or something., but I guess that'd be even more expensive. Does anyone have a picture of what they look like? Do you think this set of chess pieces will be available by itself after all 12 volumes are sold?

Also is the Clamp no Kiseki worth the money? What's in the first two volumes? I want to know before deciding to spend all that money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also is the Clamp no Kiseki worth the money? What's in the first two volumes? I want to know before deciding to spend all that money.

If you're a collector and a CLAMP fan, I'd say it is. I'm not much of a collector, but I'm a big CLAMP fan, and I'm loving the CLAMP no Kiseki collection, not just for the prospect of getting Watanuki and Kamui chess pieces, but because I love retrospects. It's just a retrospect on their series, so if you're not into that, it would be a waste of money.

The first volume is all Cardcaptor Sakura, and the second finishes Cardcaptor Sakura, and covers Clover and The One I Love as well.

Slightly off topic: TOKYOPOP needs to re-release Clover. I wonder why they haven't yet? This collection would've been a perfect excuse if you ask me...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
KawaiiKitty wrote:
Patachu wrote:

They should have made the chess pieces a better material then just plastic...like wood or something., but I guess that'd be even more expensive. Does anyone have a picture of what they look like? Do you think this set of chess pieces will be available by itself after all 12 volumes are sold?

Glass pieces would have been really nice. I'm not a big clamp fan but I'm sure the chess peices are worth it for collector.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyone else out there who'd agree that the chess set would be even more of interest if, instead of Card Captor Sakura, it was a replica of the chess set from Miyuki-chan in Wonderland? Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who'd agree that the chess set would be even more of interest if, instead of Card Captor Sakura, it was a replica of the chess set from Miyuki-chan in Wonderland? Very Happy

The male population would decline considerably, all due to bloodloss. Wink

It would be an interesting chess set though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

The male population would decline considerably, all due to bloodloss. Wink

It would be an interesting chess set though. Smile

Or loss of some other bodily fluid ... Razz

My friends and I have been pulling for a Bleach chess set. Laughing

As to other materials for the pieces: It's very hard to get exact details with wood -- you'd be down to the level of shavings for some of the little frills and stuff, and glass wouldn't have brought out the features of the characters enough. Hard PVC (which is what you see in those Volks 1/8 scale $70 figures etc.) is practically a standard for character figures now, and I think it's the ideal compromise between detail and manufacturability for the way anime characters are stylized.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Pewter, such as what they use for war gamming miniatures, would have been very nice, and the prices would have been inline with the $30 that they are charging for the boxed sets. For me the big thing is that the price exceeded the "Willing to drop at one time" limit - in general it would be about $5 for each figure and $5 for the magazine/art book, so about $20 total.

I actually bought the first volume, and the magazine was very nice, and the pieces were decent - but some parts of them are a bit too flimsy for me to want to play chess with them.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Well shit, why don't we just make them out of porcelain, hand-paint them and have freaking numbered certificates for each set? Rolling Eyes

They're plastic. And if people think that's crappy and overpriced, then I guess that makes them crappy and overpriced. If everyone else on earth thinks they're too expensive, then good, I'll be the only person on earth with a complete CLAMP chess set, except maybe that creepy dude who goes to Akihabara every afternoon to dine at the cosplay cafe.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Don't get so defensive about it - for the most part I think that most collectables in general are over priced (and yet have an almost complete set of Intron Depot figurines).

The chess set will look very cool when it is done, and for the record I am also working on collecting the set myself, however I am being a bit more frugal about it, and buying it off of eBay for about $20 when I see it for around that price (plus shipping). However, for that matter, you should have the complete set, plus the clear file to hold the magazines already from eBay. Very Happy

However, I do think that the pieces could have been a bit sturdier for the amount of money that is being paid for them, not necessarily pewter, but sturdy enough that I would feel comfortable actually playing chess with them.
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So are you saying the pieces are really cheap and they break easily?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2