• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Jing: King of Bandits any good?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in this title for a while. It's a very different shonen title with a conveniently short length and interesting art style, so it caught my eye. But I almost hear nothing about it. Does anyone collect it?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I have the first volume and it was a pretty average shonen title for me. What I didn't like was how kiddy it is. It's like they made the manga for 8 year old kids with silly hijinks. Another thing I didn't like is how any boss can be wipe out with a single super blast all the time. I was hoping for cleaver way or technique to fight enemies, but it seem like they all lose the same way.

King of Bandit Jing Twilight looks more interesting though, a more mature Jing.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was bad, but Jing is good until maybe the third volume. In my opinion, it was kind of repetitive. I didn't really attempt to read anything beyond that. (I'm not even sure if I actually read it all.) I would suggest borrowing it and seeing if you really want to get it (lucky I did).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firegirl22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I really like this title. I have all the volumes, although I almost didn't collect the whole thing because I started watching the anime in the middle of the series, and some episodes are in both the anime and the manga. What I loved about this manga are all the symbolizing they did. I especially love how all the names are taken from different alcoholic drinks. I never did read twilight though, if they actually developed a full plot which went for more than just one book, I'd definitely consider buying it.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I have the first volume and it was a pretty average shonen title for me.
Yep, that basically sums it up. I saw the anime when I had Anime Network about a year and a half ago, and since I was completely new to the whole thing, I just pulled it off the shelf in Suncoast and got it. I've dropped the series, it wasn't really all that entertaining.
firegirl22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Well, if you choose not to collect the entire series, then at least get the last volume, that one is definitely my favorite. It doesn't really end anything, but it's worth it.
cboudreau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Jing: King of Bandits, the first series. I've not yet read the Twilight Tales books.

I have reivew of volume 1 that you can read here.
satti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
I read it at the first time when I was 9.
In those days Odorobo Jing had just started in Comic BONBON (it's the magazine for 6~10 years old boys).
I was shocked and hooked on it because other manga in BONBON were really kiddy and boring. And I've been collected almost all...
As it serialize on, story has become too complicated for kids. So, maybe, Kodansha editors decided to move Jing: King of Bandits from BONBON to Magazine Z.
I prefer early series. kiddy but cheerful!
well, it's amazing Kumakura was only 17 years old when he started to write Odorobo Jing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
I've seen the anime series and I thought it was kinda repetitive until the last couple of episodes. I liked the style in terms of art but it used too much recycled footage in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1