• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Madlax Good? *Possible Spoilers*

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
*Warning: Spoilers in Pretty Much the Entire Paragraph*

I've been watching Madlax so far on Anime Network on Demand, and it just reached episode 4. Until this point, I had viewed it as a rehash of Noir (yes, I realize the same studio made both series) with the hook being that the two main characters haven't met. It seemed like a very standard series, and I didn't get those two children off by themselves in every episode. (I am enjoyed Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack, though.) However, in episode 4, I noticed the artful way in which the two girls' paths are starting to touch each other's lives. Then there's the fact that the episode wasn't focused on either of the main characters, unlike Noir, which always has Mirielle and Yurika in the foreground of the plot. Instead, a detective becomes the main character and digs too deeply into a murder-suicide involving a mysterious crime organization. He is taken off the force by a higher-up decision and begins a downward spiral as his credit cards are canceled, his home is shut down, and even his pay phone telephone calls are intercepted and randomly rerouted; all the while, the detective fights against what is happening to him. In the end, the organization picks him up and chillingly tells him that he works for them. I just loved the way it was depicted.

So here's the question: is Madlax good? I know of its similarities to Noir, but does it have enough original ideas (beyond a change in setting and character design) to set itself apart as a good anime?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote
it's a more boring version of Noir. the plot development is slooooooooowww. it takes 18 episodes beofre the plot actually kicks into gear, and i wasn't crazy about the ending either.

still, you might like it more than i did. the action scenes(when there are any) are pretty cool
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
the only real similarity with Noir is the whole girls with guns thing. The plot is pretty damn different even though the plot progression uses the same execution style (SLOW). Not necessarily a bad thing, as I found both series to be very entertaining. But more importantly, these two shows have probably the best soundtracks I've ever heard.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
The plot kicks in long before episode 18. The first few episodes are basically introductory episodes. The plot, though slow moving, kicks in around episode 4 with the detective.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I saw only the first ep. subbed. Does she ever have anymore romantic interaction with Carrossea Doon? They talked about going on a date in the first ep.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting enough so far, especially with the third volume things are starting to come togather.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I saw only the first ep. subbed. Does she ever have anymore romantic interaction with Carrossea Doon? They talked about going on a date in the first ep.

The guy in the first ep died while they were driving off at the end of the episode.
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Anyways, there is little to no romance in the entire series.
Zellian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought from the looks of the first episode that there was going to be a lot of action and such but I guess I was mistaken...I am on episode 7 or 8 and there is not too much action...not too mcuh of anything for that matter. It seems to be taking to long to get through the story.IMHO
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
For all those who post in here with an opinion/fact about Madlax, thanks for saying them. It gives me some good ideas of it relating to Noir. Now I know why people says Noir is better than Madlax.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maclam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Lol this serie Madlax wasn't bad... it's not the best, but then again if you're an anime fan it's worth your time i guess

This serie has a pretty low pace... but i found it more enjoyable than Noir in term of punch simply because Noir really gets repetitive after a while.

But Noir as a whole was better than Madlax, the assasination scenes in Noir was more creative as well, while those scene in madlax was pretty simple

If you enjoy both Noir and Madlax... you should try Gunslinger girls that's one of the best assasination serie i've ever seen, and it's pretty short also Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1