• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GateKeepers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I got the GateKeepers manga more than a year ago and it's a really good manga with an awesome storyline. But a couple of months later I got the anime( which was made after ) and it wasnt so great what so ever. Since then I've been waiting for the 3rd volume of the manga to come out and it hasn't, but the anime keeps on going.

In other words, does anyone know a reason why they stopped making the manga and countined with the anime?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TOKYOPOP only has two volumes of the manga.

http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?propertycode=GAT&categorycode=BMG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I know, but I was wondering why it stopped at the second volume and the anime kept on going.
But the thing is, the anime's company is Geneon. Probably they took GateKeepers...I dont know Anime dazed
Thnx though!
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
I think they stopped because the company was making more money by making the anime dvd. I've only seen 12 out of the 49 episodes and I thought they were good. It now comes on the channel Animenetwork. Question
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:

Quote:
I think they stopped because the company was making more money by making the anime dvd...

That could be a good reason now that I think of it. The anime is some-what popular...

Quote:
It now comes on the channel Animenetwork. Question

I have Anime on Demand, but where I live they dont show alot of shows like New York has.*envy*
THNX!! Very Happy
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as their are more volumes, does vol. 2 just leave off at a random spot? (I'm interested in buying the manga myself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Quote:
Seeing as their are more volumes, does vol. 2 just leave at a random spot? (I'm interested in buying the manga myself.)

Well, Im glad you're interested in buying the manga, but, sadly, they do leave you hanging. And I just looked at one of the last pages and it says: "What's going on with volume 3: ..."
Then they tell you what happens in volume 3( which never came... Sad )

But I have to tell ya:
Read the manga first if you're planning on watching the anime. Very Happy
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Gatekeepers just probobly didn't sell well. It's very uncommon for TP to pull the plug on a series (especially since this one was after their reformat), but I wouldn't rule it out if something sold poorly. It sucks, I know (Viz has done this who knows how many times), but it's just a fact of life.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Encyclopedia listed 7 tankoubon (novels) unless they combined a couple of them togather, but it doesn't look like it. I like the anime alittle more, I think due on part I seen it first and got use to it. But don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the two volumes that TP did put out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Suikoden6880 wrote:
Read the manga first if you're planning on watching the anime. Very Happy

Well, I've already seen some of Gate Keepers 21. (I'm guessing that blue car is from the original series -- and that ghost girl in the kimono.) I hope that hasn't ruined anything. Although, Vol. 1 shouldn't have been too much of a spoiler.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1