• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cast for Silent Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris keck

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I added a name to the People>Cast listing that isn't really a person. I'm reporting it here so that the staff can remove it if you don't think it works.

The very early films in the encyclopedia, such as 1917's Imokawa Mukuzo Genkanban no Maki (movie) #4936, are all silent. It seems silly to have a Cast field when there isn't a cast. Since the Cast field is there by default I added Silent Film as a cast member (#42530). It serves three functions: 1, it explains why there are no cast members listed; 2, clicking on provides a list of other silent anime; and 3, it allows someone to do a search for silent anime.

If you think this doesn't belong, especially if you have a better way to provide the functions I described, please feel free to delete this.

chris keck
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
If you have ever paid attention to manga titles, you should have noticed that manga titles has no 'add' button

for cast of any language. All manga titles have 'cast' automatically shut off, while anime titles can be done manually.

Now we have a redundant people's entry #42530. Next time, please ask before you make a move. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
Which brings us to another memorandum:

If an anime title is "silent" (meaning that it has no spoken dialogue at all), please inform us of such manner so we can disable the ability to add cast members on that title. DO NOT enter "None" or "Silent Film" as a cast member, as this will result in a negative feedback on your account.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
chris keck

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
I sorry this got you guys so bent out of shape. I was trying to add some useful information that the Encyclopedia page didn't accept, namely silent film for which there isn't just no cast known there is actually no cast. I knew it was non-standard so I only added the "Silent Film" cast member to four titles so there wouldn't be too much to undo. And I posted this myself for your review.
dormcat wrote:
All manga titles have 'cast' automatically shut off, while anime titles can be done manually.

I didn't know the Cast fields could be turned off. Since you told me this I've looked at all the editing functions on the encyclopedia page and I cannot find anything that explains how to do so. I don't see any "No Cast" or "Shut Off Cast" options anywhere. Where are these manual controls you talk about?

Also,
dormcat wrote:
If you have ever paid attention to manga titles...All manga titles have 'cast' automatically shut off...
I haven't looked at all manga titles, but the ones I have all have a Cast field. For example the page for Barefoot Gen (manga), #2713, has fields for Japanese Cast, English Cast, French Cast, German Cast and Polish Cast. Which manga titles are you paying attention to?

chris keck
chris keck

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
Mr. Lapus,

areaseven wrote:
...as this will result in a negative feedback on your account.
You've mentioned this "negative feedback on your account" in other memoranda. Who is posting this feedback? Where can I view my feedback?

chris keck
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
As dormcat pointed out we already have a way of preventing cast from being added to a title. You'll notice that for manga, even though there is a "cast" zone, it's impossible to actually *add* cast members. Still, it was a nice idea, and thanks for informing us about it. But it's better to inform us about the idea *before* implementing it.

I have to admit that just preventing cast from being added doesn't address the 3 points you outlined, but having a special "Silent Film" person in the DB is a dirty solution. A person should be a person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
I didn't know the Cast fields could be turned off. Since you told me this I've looked at all the editing functions on the encyclopedia page and I cannot find anything that explains how to do so. I don't see any "No Cast" or "Shut Off Cast" options anywhere. Where are these manual controls you talk about?

Only Encyclopedia Staff can enable or disable those functions.

Quote:
I haven't looked at all manga titles, but the ones I have all have a Cast field. For example the page for Barefoot Gen (manga), #2713, has fields for Japanese Cast, English Cast, French Cast, German Cast and Polish Cast. Which manga titles are you paying attention to?

You're looking at the Staff listing, NOT the Cast listing.

Quote:
You've mentioned this "negative feedback on your account" in other memoranda. Who is posting this feedback? Where can I view my feedback?

Only Encyclopedia Staff can find out who's naughty or nice. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
chris keck

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Lapus,

I looked at the Barefoot Gen page again with three different browsers (Safari, Firefox and Internet Exploder) to make sure we weren't seeing two different things due to display differences, but there are definitely five different Cast fields.
areaseven wrote:
You're looking at the Staff listing, NOT the Cast listing.
It has Japanese Staff, Japanese Cast (none), Japanese Companies, English Staff, English Cast (none), etc. Obviously the relatively small number of silent anime are an exceptional case, but I've never seen a manga with a cast, so why is there a Cast field at all?

To my way of thinking manga should have no Cast field not a cast field that you just can't add anything to. And silent anime should either have no Cast field and a comment of some sort saying that it's silent or a comment in the Cast field like I tried to add. I know it's a work-around, but I don't see how it's any worse than having to add birth dates from before 1900 as Trivia.

chris keck
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
Obviously the relatively small number of silent anime are an exceptional case, but I've never seen a manga with a cast, so why is there a Cast field at all?

Remember that the manga database was added way after the anime database. For programmers, it would be much easier to disable an existing feature than designing a new user interface without that specific feature. Sure, a new style of LCARS can and shall be written, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1