• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Powerpuff Girls Anime Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me that PPG lost it's appeal. o_o

Not that I don't like it. I think the character designs for the girls are just adorable and more elaborate then their simple dresses. (However, I'm indifferent about the Professor)

-shrugs- Maybe I'm just so used to the American one. :\
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Quote:

It started airing two months after Pokemon started airing, but obviously, it was in development for well before that, and Pokemon didn't become popular overnight like everyone thought, so yes, it was before the anime boom started by Pokemon. Even if it had come a year after Pokemon, I think it's safe to say that it would be because Craig McCraken still wanted to do it, since he is a big fan of anime. (For more proof of this, see Samurai Jack and certain episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.)

Dexter and Samurai Jack were created by Gendy Tartakovsky.
But point noted - anime influences are obvious.

Woops, sorry. I get those two confused sometimes. They do work together or have influence on each of those shows, though, so either way, the anime influence is already there for both of them.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the original [American] Powerpuff Girls, but this one looks so different. While I still would not watch either, I prefer this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If anyone cares about minor historical details, the pilot episode for Powerpuff Girls aired on Cartoon Network on March 12th, 1995, half a year before even Sailor Moon hit American television, so, while I don't deny that there is some vague anime-influence with the designs and with the speed-lines, I do think it's somewhat overstated, as though Japan is the only country with a simplified cartoon style (among many different cartoon styles, I mean).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gunblade007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
my friend karl told me that he knows The show exists because of Cartoon Network America (given Sam Register of CN America's involvement as a lead exec,) so it will becoming to Cartoon Network America .
-In fact, it's rumored that it'll hit CN America in June 2005. I've seen nothing to really confirm it though. I don't trust PPGWorld.
-The pilot was screened in Japan at the Tokyo Anime Fair. Word is that it's a very, very radical departure from the original series, with a lot of the basic plot points getting completely changed.
-It's unconfirmed whether this was part of a prior deal made by TimeWarner with a partner in Japan for 3 anime series. Considering the delivery date was supposed to be April 2006 for the shows from that project, it's probably not, but you never know.
-Cartoon Network America has yet to release any public information about the series. This means that Toei/Avex/Whoever in Japan might have jumped the gun with there announcement, so who knows how that'll effect the airdates and timelines.

You should be able to right click the link to the music and select "save target as". If not I'll email it to you. I think yahoo should be able to handle it.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If anyone cares about minor historical details, the pilot episode for Powerpuff Girls aired on Cartoon Network on March 12th, 1995, half a year before even Sailor Moon hit American television, so, while I don't deny that there is some vague anime-influence with the designs and with the speed-lines, I do think it's somewhat overstated, as though Japan is the only country with a simplified cartoon style (among many different cartoon styles, I mean).

I remember that episode! Anime hyper I was laughing my head off each time I saw it.

It may have been influenced by other anime before Sailor Moon. Don't forget; Speed Racer and Lupin III Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

I remember that episode! Anime hyper I was laughing my head off each time I saw it.

It may have been influenced by other anime before Sailor Moon. Don't forget; Speed Racer and Lupin III Wink

actually, the original was a pilot called " The Whoopass Girls". i've never been able to find it though.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually the originally pilot aired on an episode of Spacecoast: Coast to Coast where it was voted "Best Episode" of a bunch of pilots (Johnny Bravo also debuted there). I believe it was called Cartoon Network's First Annual Viewers' Choice Vote-In or something. It was the infamous "Meat Jam" episode with Fuzzy Lumpkins and included the original mayor.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
LilyChan wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

actually, the original was a pilot called " The Whoopass Girls". i've never been able to find it though.

o_O;; It was?

I must've missed it then. xD Oh well.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
v1cious wrote:
LilyChan wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

o_O;; It was?

I must've missed it then. xD Oh well.

i don't think it ever aired. cnn had an interview with Craig Mccracken and they a had a clip of it. i've heard it's in "The Museum Of Film And Television", but i don't know.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
gunblade007 wrote:
The pilot was screened in Japan at the Tokyo Anime Fair. Word is that it's a very, very radical departure from the original series, with a lot of the basic plot points getting completely changed.

Um...did PPG have a really strong plot to begin with? It was just a bunch of very simple stand-alone episodes, no complex themes at all.
Saito

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i don't think it ever aired. cnn had an interview with Craig Mccracken and they a had a clip of it. i've heard it's in "The Museum Of Film And Television", but i don't know.

The original, titled "Whoopass Stew", was shown at Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted animation festival, I think around 1994. As far as I know that was the only time to see it. I guess instead of Chemical X the girls were made from a can of "Whoopass".

Mccracken also did the No Neck Joe cartoons for Spike and Mike. Those cartoons are F#@%ing HILARIOUS!!
dessabug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
i wonder if they'll recreate the rowdyruff boys...?
Shiroi Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
jtnishi wrote:
I'm starting to wonder, though. There are points made on a cosplay.com thread that there doesn't appear to be a press release to back these things up. I took a quick look at the Japanese sites, and while my Japanese is relatively pathetic at best, I don't see anything about this on those sites either. Editors, normally, this would be taken as fact, but just to placate those still unsure, how did you confirm the information about the series as something more than just a joke? Is this even a done deal by any means?

This is the official site:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/corporate/press/topic/press050331.html

It says that the character designer will be the one, who did Cutey Honey F (and Sailor Stars - I think SM had two or three character designers, I can't tell, which one this person is).
I can read japanese but I don't understand most of it, if anyone does, he/her can give us a translation on what this says.
If somebody already posted this link, then sorry. ^^""
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Screencaps from the PPGZ promo:

http://www.toonygal.com/ppg/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7