• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know about your example. However I seriously doubt Redline would win, nor would I personally put it in the lead spot either. It's decent, but it's not fantastic. Besides; I have to consider the source. The same way you claim constant bias of this industry, you yourself constantly demonstrate an equal or greater bias the other way. So frankly, your comments constantly just stink of the pot calling the kettle black.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
I think Kung Fu Panda 2 has a much better chance then Cars 2 did, Kung Fu Panda was just freaking fantastic, the animation was gorgeous and the story worked well.
I have high hopes for Tintin, and the critics who have seen it already seem to be liking it plenty. And I've heard good things about Rango as well. So, I guess those are the three main contenders I see in the field, though as a whole this year's selection does seem a bit anemic.

As many of the other people are saying, the real problem with getting anime titles nominated for the Oscars is the time constraints it takes for them to be brought over and still be considered eligible.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Redline wasn't eligible this year as it was premiered at the Locarno International Film Festival in 2009.

King of Thorn time eligible, no US showings
Mardock Scramble time eligible, no US showings
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below time eligible, US showing was on the wrong coast
From up on Poppy Hill time eligible, no US showings

Now nothing is stopping Bandai Visual, Media Factory or Toho from renting a theater in LA and showing the film themselves to make the film eligible like The Match Factory did for Alois Nebel.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
jseckziar: That has nothing to do with it. It was a premiere, not a theatrical release.

Also, Mardock would only have to be submitted and played before the end of the year to be eligible. And Poppy Hill is not on home video in Japan, yet, so it still has a chance, if Disney brings it over before next year.

Keonyn: There are five slots this year. If there was ever a chance of Redline or anime getting through, this was it. And Anchor Bay's a bit bigger than the average anime distributor, so they could bet on it if they really wanted. I mean, we all know that Disney/Pixar and DWA have pretty much monopolized the category for themselves, but that doesn't mean no one should fight for it, anyway. After all, Spirited Away beat the odds, so it ain't impossible. As for my supposed "bias", well, again, I mentioned positively acclaimed Western animated films, too.

ikillchicken:
Quote:
You're kinda dodging the question though. Namely, how are they anti-anime at all?

Let's see. Would you pick Jimmy Neutron, Spirit: Stallion of The Cimarron, and Monster House over Metropolis, Millennium Actress, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? Plus, I knew a guy who met an Academy member who referred to anime as "Oriental animation".
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Spirit sounds like a good film to me.

I do question things when Shrek wins. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't deserving of an award.
kadosho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This is a bummer, even though distribution has been high in the past few years. Mainstream is just CGI (which is another letdown) There is so much out there, yet it doesn't seem to be noticed more often. Or critics are too pushy with wanting more revenue versus actual storytelling.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I know this is an ANIME forum so I should pronounce the joys of anime but as has been said what is even worthy of a win? I of course ask which films that are eligible are worthy of a win? None really. It's a weak year all around the board. As for Pixar always winning....as has also been said they deserve to most times. They're movies are gorgeously animated, well mixed, have great music/VA work, and generally are damn good movies. Anyone who wants to simply hop on the anime rules disney sucks bandwagon is simply blind. I do not doubt there might be some biased votes from the voting members of the academy but not enough to even come close to saying they're just snubbing anime. Pixar, and Dreamworks though not as often, simply makes good animated movies. I would love to see more anime movies get nominated and perhaps win but first you gotta have a movie worthy. Then you gotta make sure it even qualifies and is submitted which is pretty important.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I know this is an ANIME forum so I should pronounce the joys of anime but as has been said what is even worthy of a win? I of course ask which films that are eligible are worthy of a win? None really. It's a weak year all around the board. As for Pixar always winning....as has also been said they deserve to most times. They're movies are gorgeously animated, well mixed, have great music/VA work, and generally are damn good movies. Anyone who wants to simply hop on the anime rules disney sucks bandwagon is simply blind. I do not doubt there might be some biased votes from the voting members of the academy but not enough to even come close to saying they're just snubbing anime. Pixar, and Dreamworks though not as often, simply makes good animated movies. I would love to see more anime movies get nominated and perhaps win but first you gotta have a movie worthy. Then you gotta make sure it even qualifies and is submitted which is pretty important.

I think we established the process of getting qualified has a lot of hoops and is kind of stacked against anime to begin with, selective time releases, licensing delays and handling in general, getting it into theaters and so forth.

Now, if speaking in general terms, as in which 2011 anime movies would I vote for.. well.. Hoshi o Ou Kodomo for one. Detective Conan Movie 15: Quarter of Silence, Precure All Stars DX3: Deliver the Future! The Rainbow-Colored Flower Which Connects Our World!, and really just about any anime movie I saw this year I would vote over whatever latest Pixar or Dreamworks or Disney flick was put out, since they generally just put out generic childrens/family adventure flicks with no variety other than changing whether it's about talking cars or talking toys or talking robots or talking animals this time. In terms of 'beautifully animated' well... I wouldn't say that for the unattractive and uninspired CG all movies these days aside from that Winnie the Pooh movie that bombed. I suspect that's why the car and toy Pixar movies were the ones to get sequels.. fake plastic-looking CG works better when the toys/cars are supposed to be plastic-looking to begin with, where as in, say, Up, the humans all looked deformed and unattractive (also I suppose they were the most toyetic ones to make money off of).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Let's see. Would you pick Jimmy Neutron, Spirit: Stallion of The Cimarron, and Monster House over Metropolis, Millennium Actress, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust?

Were those three eligible?

Quote:
Plus, I knew a guy who met an Academy member who referred to anime as "Oriental animation".

Empty, anecdotal hearsay.

TitanXL wrote:
I vote for.. well.. Hoshi o Ou Kodomo for one. Detective Conan Movie 15: Quarter of Silence, Precure All Stars DX3: Deliver the Future! The Rainbow-Colored Flower Which Connects Our World!, and really just about any anime movie I saw this year I would vote over whatever latest Pixar or Dreamworks or Disney flick was put out, since they generally just put out generic childrens/family adventure flicks with no variety other than changing whether it's about talking cars or talking toys or talking robots or talking animals this time.

...and this is why nobody takes weaboo seriously.

A world where Toys are secretly alive?

Ug. That's boring.

The monsters in kid's closets are real and scare kids because their screams power their society?

How generic!

A lonely old man attaches thousands of balloons to his house and flies it to south America?

*sigh* how about some variety!

Detective Conan solves another murder or something for the fifteenth [expletive] time?

OMG! so original!!! This is why teh anime is superior!!!1!

Quote:
In terms of 'beautifully animated' well... I wouldn't say that for the unattractive and uninspired CG all movies these days aside from that Winnie the Pooh movie that bombed.

You don't actually know what "animated" means do you?
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe I'm yearning for the old Sub/Dub debates of yore. Man, I'll even take a scanlations piss-fest now or MOE IS RUINING THE ANIME INDUSTRY/STFU YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE GOOD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HATER/THIS ARGUMENT IS POINTLESS BECAUSE THERE IS NO CONCRETE DEFINITION OF MOE THAT PEOPLE CAN AGREE UPON.

This constant East vs. West, American animation is so childish/unoriginal vs. Your Weaboo-ness makes you see Japanimation through rose-colored glasses, Hollywood ruins everything vs. Japan's live action movies ain't much better... is all starting to get old and annoying, especially since it's mostly the same people saying the same things and making the same arguments.

Yes, we get it. American culture is full of lazy, shallow, greedy jerks always looking for ways to make a quick buck and making animation for the lowest common denominator and children (which may not be mutually exclusive), and all crazy weeaboo otakus have blinders on and can't see the forest for the trees and will automatically give a pass to any sort of animated spectacle that Japan decides to crap out out of its golden hiney.

Awesome.

Carry on now. Feel free to ignore the aggravated fan who just felt the need to get this stupid, whiny complaint off of her chest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I know you're trying to joke or whatever like you did in that other thread, but you kind of just proved a point there. You called a murder mystery generic (though for the record, Quarter of Silence isn't about a murder mystery so much as a terrorist bomber with political undertones, but let's roll with it for argument's sake, though for future reference I do suggest you watch movies before making claims like this again) When it gets to the point western animated movies can't do 'generic' then that says a lot about the industry. You're not really going to see Pixar put out a "generic murder mystery" anytime soon.. let alone anything more in like with Summer Wars or, while we're snowballing here, Satoshi Kon's work. Forget non-kid's movies happening out of them (though technically Detective Conan is a kid's movie in Japan so... yeah, you know what I mean though.) I'd certainly love to see "animated murder mystery" get to the point here where we can call it generic rather than "groundbreaking" or "revolutionary".

Likewise, Pixar's been lampooned and criticized multiple times for years on being sexist with their portrayal of women and not having a female lead; even with their announcement of Brave it's been riffled with production issues and nightmares like the female director being fired and the film criticized that it's just another Disney Princess "I want to see outside these castle walls and challenge tradition" archetype flick. Meanwhile, Toei just released the 12th Pretty Cure movie.

What exactly does it say that 14 movies of both types can be made, to the point of you criticizing them as being 'yet another' when not even one even has the hope of happening here? You (and similar people in general) really diminish these facts by trying to turn it into a monkey cage of flinging poopy buzzword insults like "weeaboo" around (note that no one got incredibly defensive or angry or said "Reverse-Weeaboo" when Pixar was being hailed as better than anime companies [or in Psycho 101's words, we're "blind" if we don't accept this] .. funny how it's perceived acceptable by those people to say America is better, but even the hint Japan might do something better gets such volatile anger and hatred and buzzwords from them.) Maybe we can get to the point of having a discussion without silly words like that being thrown out in the substitute of actual arguments thanks to knee-jerk reactions.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:

Yes, they were eligible. They just didn't make the shortlist.

Quote:
Empty, anecdotal hearsay.

Let's just say he's got good connections.

Quote:
A world where Toys are secretly alive?

Ug. That's boring.

The monsters in kid's closets are real and scare kids because their screams power their society?

How generic!

Welll, I remember a Warner Bros. cartoon which had the same premise as Toy Story, and it was made in the 30s or 40s. As for Monsters, Inc., well Fred Savage and Howie Mandell already did it.

Quote:
A lonely old man attaches thousands of balloons to his house and flies it to south America?

*sigh* how about some variety!

Bucket List kind of got there first.

Quote:
Detective Conan solves another murder or something for the fifteenth [expletive] time?

Don't really care for Conan myself, but at least it actually tries to be a mystery show. If it were made here, it'd have to have a stoned hippie and a talking dog as a sidekick. :roll:
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
though for future reference I do suggest you watch movies before making claims like this again

Uh huh. How many of these Pixar movies have you actually seen? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
When it gets to the point western animated movies can't do 'generic' then that says a lot about the industry.

Nobody said that. You started whining about them all being generic. I said that wasn't true. Once again, this is why all your whining is a joke.

First it's "Blargh! Pixar sux because their stuff is all generic!!!"

Then when that's pointed out to be false it's "Blargh! Pixar sux because their stuff isn't generic enough!!!" Rolling Eyes

Yeah, sure buddy. Whatever you say.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:

Yes, they were.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
Anymouse, being a misogynist, heterosexist and cissexist is nothing to be proud of, and it's laughable to turn a complaint about someone bashing arthouse films into a bitchez-and-fairies-ain't-worth-poop screed. I'd say you don't know how much harm sexual shaming has done to me, but you do know, you just think that harm is a good thing because you hate everyone who isn't a straight cisgender man, you revel in and glorify my suffering, you love the thought of being able to control me by denying me the right to end an unwanted pregnancy (you've said anti-abortion things on these boards before) and I despise you for it. And not only do women and feminists watch arthouse films, they make them. Women and the QUILTBAG community are just as capable of innovating and creating as straight men are and the efforts of people like you to make sure they don't have the time to because they're too busy dealing with the effects of society's discrimination are extremely scumbaggy.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6