• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who's your favorite manga artist and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kisaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is Mia Ikumi because it doesn't really seem to bother her when she's refered to as "that weird manga artist" and a lot of people think I'm weird and I try not to let get it to me, but I just don't have that much self-confidence. I read that Ikumi-san wears "totally bizzare outfits" as if she's wearing something normal, and I was like "that's not weird, that's brave!" Not to mention she draws the most kawaii illustrations! (I want kitty ears!)

I'm also a fan of Megumi Tachikawa. I can't wait for the last volume of Cyber Idol Mink so I started buying Mugen Densetsu Takamagahara (Dream Saga) so I'd have something to read until then.
Chiyo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote
Personally, i like Kazuya Minekura. She is the author of Saiyuki. The moment i saw Saiyuki Episode 39 and Saiyuki Requiem (sp?)on the Anime Network, i immediately fell in love with it. Thats when i started reading manga. Funny thing is that i only read volume one:(.
So sad, So sad...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I really like Junko Mizuno. Her extremely stylized characters and dark, macabre take on fairy tales fascinate me to no end. I re-read Princess Mermaid six times when I first bought it and have been a fan ever since.

I also like Usamaru Furuya. I find that whenever I'm feeling down, all I have to do is pick up Short Cuts, and it'll perk me right up (especially the "cut" involving a Japanese princess playing "Space Invaders"Smile). His style is great, too. I also like the simplicity of his layouts; they almost have a newspaper comic feel to them. They work well with the comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
I would have to say Yukito Kishiro. He is both great arstist and great storyteller. And personally I like the dark overtone in his works. Too bad he's production is rather small, but quality over quantity gets my vote.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
Kentaro Miura. I just love his style in Berserk. He can shift from serious to comical and back to serious very well, and I love his characters. Plus, his attention to detail when it comes to medievil arms and armor is just awesome. I don't know how realistic he's being, with respect to the functionality of the armor, but it's still just amazing. And his monsters are pretty cool too.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I like two (or five). CLAMP and Kishimoto Masashi-sensei.
CLAMP is the whole reason I like anime/manga. If not for Magic Knight Rayearth and Chobits, I might not even know about anime. Also, I've always enjoyed their stories, and their beautiful style got me into drawing.
Kishimoto-sensei has the best style! He definetly improves throughout his Naruto manga. Sensei likes ninjas! And I love ninjas too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I like many shounen artists but generally shoujo artists are a lot more phenomenal, in a way.

I like the work of Ai Morinaga because the art is just very beautiful, and her character designs are awesome. They're mostly pretty boys and girls, but any type of "perfection" is really good.

I like Ai Yazawa for much of the same reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
My first favorite manga artist is Naoko Takeuchi. Where would I be now if I didn't read Sailor Moon? The manga is just so lively and so much better than it's anime counterpart that you can tell Naoko tried very hard and was popular too at that. I look forward to more of her books in the future.

My second favorite manga artist is Sanami Matoh. I really love her style of writing and her style of art. In "FAKE" she would always put little side notes that made me laugh. But aside from that, her books were just so romantic and yet so action packed and mysterious. I like shonen-ai by the way. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
animeman51

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
If judging simply by the artwork itself, I would have to say Masumune Shirow, if I were to judge by storytelling, Gojima all the way.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ken Akamatsu.

His art is one of a kind, he has a great knack for telling off the wall stories with a good dose of the absurd, and he makes me laugh a lot. And the babes.......

Also CLAMP.......
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
Probably the living legend, Takehiko Inoue.

He has work on 2 of my all time favorite manga: Vagabond & Slam Dunk. From the hysterical basketball action/comedy of Slam dunk to the complexly deep Vagabond, Takeshiko Inoue display his versatile skill as a mangaka (unlike ken akamatsu)

I'm just amaze that he's able to do so much manga (50+ Volumes total) and he's still young with amazing talent. His other work Buzzer Beater has just been adapted into an anime. I just hope he return from his hiatus to finish up Vagabond.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:

My second fav. But not for Slam or Vagabond, but for his beautifuly writen and drawn Real, a touching and life-like story about the handicapped basketball players world. Real is in my top 5!

But my number one manga artists is Masakazu Katsura.
Starting off with his slightly goofy DNA, then onto Video Girl Ai and finishing with #3 on my top list - I''s, one of the greatest stories I ever read, where I absolutely fell in love with the art.
pOupOutenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
[b]my favorite author of manga is arina tanemura ^^ i love her mangas my favorite one is full moon wo sagashite it made me cry Anime cry i like her because i really like her drawings , iluv them her manga has always a thing that would make u cry in front of it (well i cried for all her mangas Anime cry )but at the end it always have a happy end =) well now im reading her new one shinshi doumei cross ;p and i draw just like her (well a little bit worse than her ^^) if ude like to see my drawings contact me ^^ hehe i have msn well.... gtg ^^ (i want to be a mangaka when im gonna grow up Anime hyper) okay then see ya bye ciaoooooooooo[/b]
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I really like Junko Mizuno. Her extremely stylized characters and dark, macabre take on fairy tales fascinate me to no end. I re-read Princess Mermaid six times when I first bought it and have been a fan ever since.

I also like Usamaru Furuya. I find that whenever I'm feeling down, all I have to do is pick up Short Cuts, and it'll perk me right up (especially the "cut" involving a Japanese princess playing "Space Invaders"Smile). His style is great, too. I also like the simplicity of his layouts; they almost have a newspaper comic feel to them. They work well with the comedy.

Wow, another Mizuno fan. I too can't get enough of her weirdness; her works also have some of the best colors I've seen in manga (Shirow will always be No.1 in my book). Furuya is also a great talent. Short Cuts is fun, but Pallepoli (from Secret Comics Japan) has more inventive art and is alot funnier.
Assuming that this is only based on artistic talents and not writing ability, I can't really choose one favorite. Iou Kuroda is definitally up there. His art is simply amazing and unlike anything that I've seen. His pages are highly detailed, and his strokes remind me of a more traditional style of Japanese art, but with a modern energy. Hiroaki Samura is another favorite of mine. I love the way his style changes depending on what's happening in his story, and his backgrounds are often beautiful. It's also always a pleasure to see his stunning color illustrations. Ashinano Hitoshi's illustrations are often decievingly simple, but his works have a certain beauty that is somewhat hard to put into words. His art is just so ellegant and peaceful that it really draws you into the story. Of course I have a ton of other favorites: Masamune Shirow, CLAMP, Tsutomu Takahashi and Kosuke Fujishima just to name a few.
If I had to pick a favorite artist and writer, I guess Taiyo Matsumoto would edge out my other favorites. His surreal art is filled with detail and energy that makes his bizarre worlds come to life. His writing is often deep and thoughtful, but is always masterfully told that makes it a real joy to read as he draws weirder and weirder stuff.
Quote:

At this point in time, I wouldn't rank him that high. He certainly is a modern master of the form, but I don't think that he has reached a point in his career that his influence on manga is so great that he could be called a legend. Perhapse someday he will be compared to names like Otomo and Koike, but not yet. He is a great artist, though I never really loved his art until the recent Vagabonds, with his amazing new inking style (or perhapse he simply got a new inker). Of course it would be nice if Vagabond would stop dragging and repeating itself in the Kojiro ark...
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
But my number one manga artists is Masakazu Katsura.

Oooohh!! I love Masakazu Katsura! I'd completely forgotten, since it's been so long since I've read him. He probably has influenced the way I draw more than any other artist in the industry. I'm so happy that I"s is finally hitting stateside; my boyfriend and I both absolutely adore that manga.

Kagemusha wrote:
Wow, another Mizuno fan. I too can't get enough of her weirdness; her works also have some of the best colors I've seen in manga

I really like the colors as well; I'm always looking for more manga artists that take advantage of color in their stories. And I appreciate female manga artists who stray away from the traditional shoujo realm. My shelf is scattered with various quirky Mizuno characters; I can't decide which one of the Peach, Grape, or Mint Night versions of "Mizunotic Chika" is my favorite. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4