• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Star Stories from ADV to be subitled only

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
According to the press article at AnimeOnDVD, ADV will only be able to have a subtitle only release of Five Star Stories.

Quote:

Disc Update (10:18 PM EST): We've updated our basic technical information for the 03/15/2005 release of Five Star Stories from ADV Films. According to David Williams of ADV Films, the Japanese were unable to procure a copy of the music and effects track required to create a dub for this release and therefore the release will be in Japanese with subtitles only.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
There's a simple solution to this; record new music and effects tracks. I vote they use old Hanna-Barbara sound effects and music by the Lovin' Spoonful. It would be stupid; stupid fresh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and ADV knows that people wouldn't like that at all (unlike Bandai, who doesn't seem to care)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Did I mention they should draw digital moustaches on all the characters? And add fart sounds. And every time there's a joke they should add a laugh track and "LOL!!!" on screen in a great big font. And at the end of every episode they should have a clip of Carl Macek saying "I'm Carl Macek and I approved this message."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, quit being so stupid
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The deluxe edition would cost several thousand dollars, but for that money they'd send live actors to your house/apartment/Mom's basement to do a "Live Dub" every time you watched it. Along with foley performers and a small swing band.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
The deluxe edition would cost several thousand dollars, but for that money they'd send live actors to your house/apartment/Mom's basement to do a "Live Dub" every time you watched it. Along with foley performers and a small swing band.

Add [explitive deleted -b] pointless 5.1 mix.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It's one of those one-shot 1980s OVAs that will likely mostly be purchased by the "old school" fanbase, which is fairly miniscule compared to the market for recent shows.

It could be that they didn't think it would sell well enough to be worth dubbing anyway, and the lack of availability of the music and effects tracks is a convenient excuse (not that I'm saying it's not a legitimate excuse).

I haven't seen it in a decade or so, but I seem to remember that it was one of those OVAs based on a much-longer manga that just drops you in the middle of the story, so you wonder who these people are and what the hell they're doing. Lovely character designs, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It's from the director of Please Save My Earth, which I have a soft spot for, and which also compressed a too-long-for-3-hours manga into 3 hours. Only I like the way it ended; it's got an ambiguous life-goes-on flavor that really speaks to me.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'd buy this DVD even without any sort of translation anyway: it's simply too much good Razz

Oh well, c'mon guys: a sub only is still better than nothing. I never watch the dub version anyway, as long as the film is not hardsubbed I'm happy... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Chalk me up for buying the release ASAP. FFS is one of those epic stories that is right up there with Crest of the Stars and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The Movie (yes, it was teamed with another release in theaters) is barely the first chapter of the manga (original Japanese release, not the English translations).
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Guilhem wrote:
I'd buy this DVD even without any sort of translation anyway: it's simply too much good :P

Seconded! Considering I never watch English dubs anyway, I don't think this is bad news at all. FSS is amazing! I remember watching it for the first time (on a fansub tape! Ah, the memories...) and being completely blown away by the incredible animation and delicate storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Guilhem wrote:
I'd buy this DVD even without any sort of translation anyway: it's simply too much good Razz

Seconded! Considering I never watch English dubs anyway, I don't think this is bad news at all. FSS is amazing! I remember watching it for the first time (on a fansub tape! Ah, the memories...) and being completely blown away by the incredible animation and delicate storytelling.

My VHS tape wasn't even fansubbed but I had read a special issue of Mecha Press about FSS and got the essential to follow the story: it was love at first sight! Great animation, great characters, great everything...

Then I lent the tape to an irresponsible guy who simply erased the film Anime dazed

Edit : and this one's my evil post btw (see postcount) ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

Can mine be Dixieland? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1