• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good titles to follow WWE wrestling?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
If you had the job of acquiring anime to follow WWE wrestling on the TV, what titles would you think of?

I know "Ultimate Muscle" would be the perfect one, but what others? Idea Question
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There isn't a lot of wrestling anime but the only other one that I know beside Ultimate Muscle is Metal Fighter Miku.
The anime centers on women wrestling in a futuristic setting but it's an enjoyable series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this, but I remember reading the review for Shootfighter Tekken a while back. It doesn't sound like it has anything like the sex crazed and raunchy antics of "WWE" Rolling Eyes, but it sounds wrestling oriented enough. By the way, I put a rolled eyes smiley there because I hate their new name and haven't watched pro wrestling since...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I haven't seen this, but I remember reading the review for Shootfighter Tekken a while back. It doesn't sound like it has anything like the sex crazed and raunchy antics of "WWE" Rolling Eyes, but it sounds wrestling oriented enough. By the way, I put a rolled eyes smiley there because I hate their new name and haven't watched pro wrestling since...
Well the history behind it was that the WWF trademark belonged to the "World Wildlife Fund" before wrestling came up with their version and The "World Wildlife Fund" sued. so it was a case of having to really.

BTW suggestions don't have to be "wrestling" orientated any turnament based shounen plot will do.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Tiger Mask is one of the most famous wrestling anime, but I don't where you'd be able to find it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well the history behind it was that the WWF trademark belonged to the "World Wildlife Fund" before wrestling came up with their version and The "World Wildlife Fund" sued. so it was a case of having to really.

Yeah I know, but it still ticks me off that such a large and illustrious corporation of sports entertainment had to change their name. I mean, the WWF (Wildlife one) has been around since 1961, and it took almost 40 years just to notice the difference?

It's like saying there was a great politician in the 1940s named Michael Jordan who founded an a policy to not let Chick-Fil-A be open on Sundays, but another person of the same name retired from the NBA almost 60 years later, except he now has to change his name so as to not confuse people with something that's supposedly more important, yet obscure beyond a majority of the public.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to go further off topic, but I believe the reason that the WWF and the current "WWE" had a spat was because of internet domain names, a place where the acronyms of different organizations around the world are put where everyone can access them. The "WWE" had wwf.com and the WWF had wwf.org. I can see how that similarity could cause problems and confusion, but one would think that people looking to help animals would try a different path to get to the correct WWF website once they saw sweaty, testosterone-filled men. This is why the difference only matters now rather than 40 years ago.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
The wrestling organisers didn't want to look like thugs to a cause that was founded to help save endangered species so it was a sort of "gentlemens" (I use the term loosely here on the WWE's side) agreement. Besides they might need their services some day. Laughing

Back on topic again.

Anymore titles that might be good for following wrestling on the tele then?
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Grappler Baki,I guess.

It started as an OAV,but now there's a series,soon to be released by FUNimation.(Under the title Baki the Grappler.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Grappler Baki,I guess.

It started as an OAV,but now there's a series,soon to be released by FUNimation.(Under the title Baki the Grappler.)
Yes, yes! Good one!
Anymore?
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakusho
Theres a fighting tournament in it, though im not sure when it begins.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The wrestling organisers didn't want to look like thugs to a cause that was founded to help save endangered species so it was a sort of "gentlemens" (I use the term loosely here on the WWE's side) agreement. Besides they might need their services some day.

No, the name change was sparked by a court decision in jolly old England that would bar the WWF from selling its merchandise in the UK. I guess the World Wildlife Fund sells alot of t-shirts or something. To hell with them. WWE is a pretty weak name, they should've just went back to the original name, the WWWF.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Very good IC, Anymore?

J-Syxx wrote:
No, the name change was sparked by a court decision in jolly old England that would bar the WWF from selling its merchandise in the UK. I guess the World Wildlife Fund sells alot of t-shirts or something. To hell with them. WWE is a pretty weak name, they should've just went back to the original name, the WWWF.
Which I believe they settled out of court. They don't sell anything. They are a global charity dependant on donations and membership fees.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Very good IC, Anymore?

J-Syxx wrote:
Which I believe they settled out of court. They don't sell anything. They are a global charity dependant on donations and membership fees.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The World Wildlife Fund had an agreement with the WWE guy's, about the use of the WWF initials and their use in adverts, internet, etc... When the wrestlers broke that agreement, they were sued! Tough luck Razz

Any way, try Ikki Tousen - aka Battle Vixens (Manga version). Lots of fights in semi-formal competition. Better than wrestling - the girls fight better than the guys. Sorry, that IS wrestling lmao.

JBV^_^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2