• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Nagi vs. Zange, Kannagi
vs.
Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

voting for: Nagi vs. Zange

Group D-2
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Yusaku Godai vs. Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikokku

voting for: The Elrics vs. Homunculi

Group D-3
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus
vs.
Shinku vs. Suigintou, Rozen Maiden

voting for: Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman

Group D-4
Triela vs. Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi vs. Shinobu Sensui, Yu Yu Hakusho

voting for: Triela vs. Pinocchio

Group D-5
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
vs.
Yasuna Kamiizumi vs. Tomari Kurusu, Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl ~

voting for: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma,

Group D-6
Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
vs.
D vs. Meier Link, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

voting for: Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba

Group D-7
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk
vs.
Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis, Porco Rosso

voting for: Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis,

Group D-8
Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams, Cross Game
vs.
Kei Shindo vs. Miyako Miyamura, ef ~ a tale of memories

voting for: Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams

I like this one, maybe even more than the other CG rivalry, because its such an honest sports rivalry that mainly keeps personal feelings out of it. Unlike Daimon's crew, Seishu's coach and team are made up entirely of decent people (well, other than the early clean-up hitter and maybe the first starting pitcher). These teams are in it for the sport, they want to win because they enjoy the game and "know" they are the best. When these guys graduate and some of them make it to the majors they may be teammates and will have no hard feelings.

Group D-9
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise
vs.
Oz Vessalius vs. Baskervilles, Pandora Hearts

voting for: Ayeka vs. Ryoko

Group D-10
Lucy vs. Kurama, Elfen Lied
vs.
Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro, Yu Yu Hakusho

voting for: Lucy vs. Kurama
Not feeling either of these, voting for the pair that's behind just to keep it even.

Group D-11
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun
vs.
Himura Kenshin vs. Makoto Shishio, Ruroni Kenshin

voting for: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives

Group D-12
Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier
vs.
Sawako “Sadako” Kuronuma vs. Ume “Kurumi” Kurumizawa, Kimi no Todoke

voting for: Sadako vs.Kurumi

Group D-13
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Johan vs. Tenma, Monster

voting for: Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya

Group D-14
Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana, Angel Beats!
vs.
Ikuto Tsukiyomi vs. Tadase Hitori, Shugo Chara

voting for: Yurippe vs. Kanade

Group D-15
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga
vs.
Yakumo Fujii and Pai/Sanjiyan vs. Benares, 3x3 Eyes

voting for: Pedro vs. That Man
It should also be noted that "That Man" is also spoiler[Gomez], so this isn't just a adversarial relationship to save the Universe from being conquered, IT'S PERSONAL! He took his sexy wife, he turned his son away from him (for a time), he gambled away the family's money- then it turns out he's bent on the subjugation of the entire macrocosm! Oh, it's on!

Group D-16
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed
vs.
Gai vs. Pizza/Soldat J, GaoGaiGar

voting for: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Nagi vs. Zange, Kannagi
vs.

Voting for: Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia

The other alternative appears to have a relatively interesting concept behind it, but at this early stage I don't see myself voting against one of the most intense and well-executed martial arts rivalries in this tournament.

Group D-2
vs.

Voting for: Yusaku Godai vs. Shun Mitaka

In contrast, this time I will go for the less obvious choice. I don't deny the considerable merits of that particular Fullmetal Alchemist conflict, but as far as romantic rivalry goes, Godai vs. Mitaka is actually a classic example and definitely deserves a little sympathy here, if nothing else.

Group D-3
vs.

Voting for: Shinku vs. Suigintou

I like Macross Plus as a whole more than its central rivalry, in hindsight and after taking some of its less intuitive aspects into consideration. At the same time, I'm not familiar with Rozen Maiden at all but there have been a couple of decent arguments in favor of this rivalry. I don't expect them to move on, in all honesty, but there's no harm in giving some recognition where it appears to be due.

Group D-4
vs.

Voting for: Yusuke Urameshi vs. Shinobu Sensui

I suppose this one could go either way. Not feeling particularly certain at the moment.

Group D-5
vs.

Voting for: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma

The guide entry for Yuki vs. Kyo was a little more convincing.

Group D-6
vs.

Voting for: D vs. Meier Link

Once again, I'm not particularly thrilled by either choice.

Group D-7
vs.

Voting for: Guts vs. Griffith

The Porco Rosso rivalry would also be a respectable choice here and it is arguably a lot easier to digest, but I believe the conflict between Guts and Griffith is one of the most intense, all things considered, even if the guide entry could afford to be a little more specific about its development.

Then again, we're also talking about a rivalry that undergoes a lot of slow build-up before finally reaching its ultimate manifestation. Nevertheless, I would say the emotions involved are powerful enough to make up for the necessary investment.

The two rivals spend a lot of time fighting on the same side after their first duel, essentially working as master (Griffith) and servant (Guts) with a certain amount of mutual understanding but also a lot of unresolved tension. After all, even at their best we're talking about two very different personalities that aren't entirely compatible and who wouldn't even be working together without some initial coercion.

Griffith is a schemer with a single dream in mind: creating his own kingdom. His subordinates are all good people and he leads them well as the leader of the Band of the Hawk, but to him they will never be his equals because they are merely followers. Griffith comes to value Guts, perhaps more than anyone else, but less as a person and more as a magnificent tool that is necessary for the pursuit of his personal ambitions.

Guts was originally obligated to help Griffith achieve his goal, having lost the duel, but he later contributes to this with a degree of sincerity. He started out as an aimless loner who gradually came to truly appreciate the rest of his comrades in the Band of the Hawk. Even though their respective ways of looking at life and the world at large are certainly very different, what separates Guts and Griffith is more of a desire for real independence and acknowledgement than just a dispute over methods. In his own way, Guts wants to be somebody that Griffith could in fact consider an equal and not simply an asset, which requires him to forge a unique path instead of remaining forever in someone else's service. That, naturally, is the exact opposite of what Griffith is prepared to accept, because he can't let Guts go without accomplishing all of his objectives first.

This uneasy state of affairs inevitably leads them to a second duel, when Guts actually tries to leave. spoiler[And he wins, essentially causing Griffith to panic because he fears this would put his dream in danger. Ironically enough, that desperation over losing Guts is precisely what makes Griffith lose all his calculated reasoning and patience. He sleeps with the King's daughter, gets caught and ends up being horribly tortured, practically destroying any chance of realizing his ambitions.

Guts rescues Griffith from the dungeon, but now he is nothing more than a shattered man...and one who refuses to give up his dream, no matter what the cost. Griffith sacrifices Guts and all his subordinates to the demonic God Hand in exchange for power, during a rather disturbing sequence which emphasizes one of the key differences between the two: Guts actually has friends and is willing to risk everything for them. Griffith, in his own heart, has no true friends and the value of their lives is nothing compared to that of his dream.]

At this point, in both the anime and the irrelevant (until the rest of it happens to be adapted, of course) manga, it is made absolutely clear that neither of them will ever be anything remotely resembling friends again.

Group D-8
vs.

Voting for: Kei Shindo vs. Miyako Miyamura

It sounds interesting enough, going by the guide entry and what Dorcas_Aurelia posted.

Group D-9
vs.

Voting for: Ayeka vs. Ryoko

This is definitely a good pick as far as comedy goes and I'm certainly in agreement. Not much else to say.

Group D-10
vs.

Voting for: Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro

To be quite honest, I'm not sure. Then again, the outcome of this match doesn't really worry me too much, either way.

Group D-11
vs.

Voting for: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives

Hmm...I prefer Kenshin vs. Shishio in terms of actual execution, but at the same time, Vash and Knives have a slightly more interesting conflict, regardless of how much of their struggle isn't immediately evident to the viewer without the necessary context and exposition.

Group D-12
vs.

Voting for: Ranka vs. Sheryl

Despite their popularity, I'm not entirely convinced. Unfortunately, I don't have a very good reason for supporting the opposition either, so they'll have to get my vote for now.

Group D-13
vs.
Johan vs. Tenma, Monster

Voting for: Hikaru vs. Akira

Didn't expect to be voting against Johan and Tenma, all things considered, but the recent discussion was enough to make me change my mind about this.

Group D-14
vs.

Voting for: Yuri vs. Angel

Guess I've just seen more arguments in favor than against this rivalry, but the next round should hopefully involve a little more attention to detail.

Group D-15
vs.

Voting for: Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga

Undecided, so the choice was based on leftover sympathy. That's not going to last very long, however, so we'll have to see what happens next.

Group D-16
vs.

Voting for: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou

I'd be perfectly happy with either outcome here, but the fact that these two spoiler[ never actually became friends and still found the time to fight each other even after having solved all other outstanding issues is a plus. ] It doesn't make either of them particularly smart, mind you, but the sheer over-the-top nature of their last battle earns them some points.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
D-1
Nagi vs. Zange, Kannagi vs.
Choosing: Domon vs Master Asia
Because
Enjoyed the rivalry between Nagi and Zange, but I agree with others that there really isn't enough substance there to warrant my vote.D-2
The Elrics vs. Homunculi, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise vs.
Choosing: Yusaku Godai vs. Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikokku
BecauseGoing against the pick that will based on sheer populairty because it doesn't really have a lot of focus or intensity. Also another poster sums up well why this classic rivalry is worthy despite being a mainly an unknown entity among most posters.D-3
Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman, Macross Plus vs.
Choosing: Shinku vs Suigintou
Because Not a big fan of either rivalry or series, but at the least Rozen Maiden rivalry has some consistency even though it doesn't have a whole of depth and complexity behind it.

D-4
Triela vs. Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl vs.
Choosing: Triela vs. Pinocchio
Because Giving the nod the rivalry based on tragedy and pathos. Also the guide does an exceptional job of selling this rivalry.D-5
Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket vs.
Choosing: Yuki vs Kyo
Because No contest. I really wonder how romantic rivalries will do since a few of them have way more nominations than expected, and this on is at least worthy of a few rounds based on the amount of emotional energy devoted to this rivalry despite lacking the elegance of the other romantic rivalry frontrunner.D-6
Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters vs.
Choosing: Yugi vs Seito
Because Trite as it may it is legitmate rivalry that has an edge over the dime a dozen rivalry featured in Vampire Hunter D.
D-7
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk vs.
Choosing: Guts vs Griffith
Because While it doesn't become apparent until later in the series, this rivalry is very intense despite starting out gradually with a helping of subtlety.

D-8
Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams, Cross Game vs.
Choosing: Kei vs Miyako
Because IThe Miyako rivalry sounds pretty trashy, but from what I read it seems like a fairly strong rivalry that's bitter, petty and down right nasty.

D-9
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo! franchise vs.
Choosing: Ayeka vs Ryoko

D-10
Lucy vs. Kurama, Elfen Lied vs.
Choosing: Lucy vs Kurama
Because I will vote for the rivalry from the emotionally stilted show because the pathos is very heavy despite not being even remotely grounded in reality.

D-11
Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives, Trigun vs.
Choosing: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives

D-12
Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome, Macross Frontier vs.
Choosing: Ranka vs Sheryl
Because From the comments alone their uniqueness makes them sound like an interesting rivalry.

D-13
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go vs.
Johan vs. Tenma, Monster
Choosing: Johan vs. Tenma, Monster
BecauseI think the one-sided thing isn't as important because Johan still has a lot interaction wiht Tenma even though he doesn't consider him a worthy rival. He also seeks out to corrupt Tenma by making him act out on his emotions to seek out the ultimate retribution even though it strictly goes against Tenma's personal code of ethics.

D-14
Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana, Angel Beats! vs.
Choosing: Yuri vs Kanade
Because The guide is somewhat overblown but it is clear that they are a worthy rivalry of a first round win. Haven't seen the show past two episodes so I have to go on that and my first impressions.D-15
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga vs.
Choosing: Pedro vs. That Man
Because One dimensional, but very remerable and enjoyable. Manly tears versus the mysterious villian only known as that man. D-16
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed vs.
Choosing: Gai vs Pizza/Soldat J
Because Both seem lackluster and the lack of the comments don't really help either.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Nagi vs. Zange, Kannagi
vs.
Domon Kasshu vs. Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

My vote goes to: Nagi vs. Zange.

Group D-2
vs.

My vote goes to: The Elrics vs. Homunculi.

Group D-3
vs.

My vote goes to: Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman.

Group D-4
vs.

My vote goes to: Triela vs. Pinocchio.

Group D-5
vs.

Within five seconds of Kyo's first appearance of the series, he proclaims that today's the day where he is going to beat up "pretty boy" Yuki's face. You know from that point, Kyo has been at it for a while thus continuing to fuel the ongoing rivalry between the two.

My vote goes to: Yuki Sohma vs. Kyo Sohma.

Group D-6
vs.

When someone pulls off a five card instant win combo by believing in "The Heart of the Cards", you'd definitely would call "hax" on that.

Nevertheless, Kaiba's obsession with beating Yugi culminates with him hosting multiple tournaments. His main goal is to not just beat the best of the best but also to crush Yami Yugi in the finals.

My vote goes to: Yugi Mutou/Yami vs. Seito Kaiba.

Group D-7
vs.

My vote goes to: Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis.

Group D-8
vs.

The last couple of episodes of the series are some of the most intense in a sports anime I have seen. We have the best left-handed hitter (Azuma) against the best right-handed hitter (Mishima) and ace against ace. This one game will determine who will gain a Koshien berth.

Ryuou has it going for them since they won the most recent Koshien. But Seishu has momentum on their side. Both teams are swinging a hot bat and have dominating pitching. Who will triumph? You'd better get ready for a intense baseball game right here and now.

My vote goes to: Seishu High School vs. Ryuou Academy baseball teams.

Group D-9
vs.

My vote goes to: Ayeka vs. Ryoko.

Group D-10
vs.

My vote goes to: Yusuke Urameshi vs. Toguro.

Group D-11
vs.

My vote goes to: Vash the Stampede vs. Million Knives.

Group D-12
vs.

My vote goes to: Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome.

Group D-13
vs.
Johan vs. Tenma, Monster

My vote goes to: Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya.

Group D-14
vs.

My vote goes to: Yuri “Yurippe” Nakamura vs. Kanade “Angel” Tachibana.

Group D-15
vs.

My vote goes to: Pedro vs. That Man.

Group D-16
vs.

My vote goes to: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group D is now closed.

Apologies for the delay in posting this; I was piddling around with a game and completely lost track of time. Anyway, with 18 votes in, the results:

D-1: Domon Kassu vs. Master Asia edges Nagi vs. Zange, 10-8.
D-2: The Elrics vs. Homunculi eliminates Yusaku vs. Shun, 13-5.
D-3: Isamu vs. Guld defeat Shinku vs. Suigintou, 13-5.
D-4: Triela vs. Pinocchio beats Yusuke vs. Shinobu, 12-6.
D-5: Yuki vs. Kyo Sohma destroys Yasuna vs. Tomari, 17-1.
D-6: Yugi vs. Seito pulls out a cross card on D vs. Meier Link, 12-6.
D-7: Guts vs. Griffith and Porco Rosso vs. Donald Curtis tie; both advance.
D-8: The baseball teams out-bate Kei vs. Miyako, 13-5.
D-9: Ayeka vs. Ryoko prove too much for Oz vs. Baskervilles, 16-2.
D-10: Yusuke vs. Toguro holds off Lucy vs. Kurama, 10-8.
D-11: Vash vs. Knives triumphs over Kenshin vs. Makoto, 11-7.
D-12: Ranka Lee vs. Sheryl Nome outduel Sadako vs. Kurumi, 15-3.
D-13: Hikaru vs. Akira surprisingly easily knock off Johan vs. Tenma, 13-5.
D-14: Yuri vs. Kanade/Angel overwhelms Ikuto vs. Tadase, 18-0 FLAWLESS VICTORY!
D-15: Pedro vs. That Man shames Yakumo and Pai vs. Benares, 13-5.
D-16: Kazuma vs. Ryuhou go HOLY on Gai vs. Pizza/Soldat J, 14-4.

If you had told me this time last week that there was going to be a Flawless Victory in this Group, I would have suspected at least five other match-ups before D-14 to be the culprit. Their win I expected; their margin of victory I didn't. I also didn't expect Johan vs. Tenma to go down so easily, but the arguments the other way seemed to be there this time. We also saw our first tie of the tournament, and I'm a little surprised that it was in D-7. Will be interesting to see if either of them can do anything against the baseball team match-up next round.

Round 2 should be up within the next half-hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Time for a fresh set of match-ups using our original set! Who will advance to the video-enabled round? Could be some tricky match-ups this time; I’m especially keeping my eye on how A-18 and A-23 go.

Group A-17
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave

Group A-18
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV
vs.
Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach

Group A-19
Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Group A-20
Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-21
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise
vs.
Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha

Group A-22
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke

Group A-23
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
vs.
Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group A-24
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome

Last edited by Key on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

I've seen arguments on the latter pair, and they give me no compelling reason to vote against Light Yagami vs. L, which has to be one of the overall favorites in the tournament.

Group A-18
vs.

Tricky. Some arguments were made last round that the Ichigo/Renji thing doesn't really feel like a conflict anymore after a certain point, while the Dragons of Heaven vs. Earth is the core of that entire story. Thus I vote for them based on their broader scope of involvement.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

I'll keep voting for Spike vs. Vicious for now, but I'm not married to this pick and could change my mind if arguments go strong enough the other way. Although their rivalry is suitably intense, I just don't think that they have enough screen time to be a top contender.

Group A-20
vs.

Togame/Hitei got a lot of strong support last round, but they're also up against considerably stiffer competition this time. Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku is a no-holds-barred rivalry which defines the entire franchise, provides the motivations for all of its heroes and some of its villains, and repeatedly draws side characters in to one degree or another; even Sesshomaru and Koga, Inuyasha's other two main rivals, periodically get involved. The intricate malice which lies at the core of the conflict is, to my mind, possibly Rumiko Takahashi's greatest creation.

Group A-21
vs.

I'm really just not convinced that enough material exists to support the former choice as a major rivalry, so I'm favoring Akito vs. Naozumi, which does have a lot of supporting material, here.

Group A-22
vs.

While it is worthy to make it this far, I find this to be the weaker of the two CG entries and it's up against Miyazaki's strongest and most clearly-delineated rivalry. There are just too many levels of symbolism supplementing the fierceness of the San vs. Lady Eboshi conflict for the CG entry to have any real chance here.

Group A-23
vs.

Boy, I could see this one going either way and I'll be surprised if the vote isn't very close. Both of these conflicts are well-established and well-developed and both are plenty entertaining. The Ed vs. Scar face-off does evolve more, but the Shizuo vs. Izaya rivalry feels a little more intensely personal and unwavering, and those two qualities give it the slight edge here.

Group A-24
vs.

I voted for Dai-Gurren/Anti-Spiral's opponent last round and I'm doing the same this round for similar reasons. While the GL face-off does blow up to epic proportions, it is also only a comparatively small portion of its series. Arika vs. Nina, OTOH, exists from episode 1 through to the series' climactic scene and goes through a lot of stages of development along the way. Although they gradually become friends and support each through the first half of the series even while maintaining a certain level of conflict, their competing feelings towards Sergay simmer until they boil over in a blow-up that costs a mutual friend's life. Circumstances force them to be enemies from that point on even though one seeks a way to save the other - and that ultimately can't be done without resorting to the series' highest-powered face-to-face battle. The dynamic which develops between them as this happens is one of the series' most interesting aspects and certainly worthy of consideration here.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell
I know that chances those two would go through are zero, but at least they wont go down with zero votes.
Harry's And Brandon's friendship starts off intense- in the suburbs of a big city they need to resort to petty crime to survive, but they are able to lead careless and quite happy lives. As they join Millenion, rather than getting closer, they very slowly grow apart, until the tragic moment when spoiler[Harry kills Brandon for betraying their friendship.] I found both what happend, and especially what followed, fascinating. The brotherly love mixed with hatred, Brandon's memories of childhood and freedom colliding with Harry's vision of future where Millenion would dominate the country/world, the mutual feeling of misunderstanding and regret of losing

Group A-18
vs.

Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Humans vs. Shiki- Spike and Vicious might go through, but personally I think that Humans and Shiki deserve to do so... It is not a conflict between two individuals, but two races, which makes it more universal in my eyes. The fight for survival shows the best and the worst of both humans and vampires and above all is thought provoking- how far can you go to protect yourself and your kind, where lies the line between a medical experiment and cruelty?

Group A-20
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
vs.

Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

Group A-22
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.

Edward Elric vs. Scar it would seem that Scar and Edward have two different goals, which primarily would be incapacitate/eliminate/kill/imprison* the other one. However, some sort of mutual understanding starts to develop as the series progresses, which in Brotherhood culminates spoiler[in cooperation and quite surprising friendship]. Ed's and Scar's multiple encounters prove an eye opening experiences for both of them- for Scar, it is a beginning of his spoiler[metamorphosis], for Ed- a way to find out more about a new form of alchemy** and an impulse to learn more.
Oh, and their 'duels' are quite spectacular.

* choose the most suitable for the occasion
** from Brotherhood

Group A-24
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome[/quote]

Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L

Group A-18
vs.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Humans vs. Shiki
I'm not familiar with Cowboy Bebop, but I'm familiar with Shiki. The conflict between the two groups is intense and the main focus of the story in the second half of the series.

Group A-20
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
vs.

Group A-22
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.

Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara

Group A-24
vs.

Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Match A-17: Light Yagami vs L (Death Note)

Match A-18: Dragons of Heaven vs Dragons of Earth (X)

Match A-19: Spike Spiegel vs Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

Match A-20: Team Inuyasha vs Naraku (Inuyasha)

Match A-21: Alucard vs Alexander Anderson (Hellsing)

Match A-22: Seishu Prefab Team vs Coach Daimon (Cross Game)

Match A-23: Shizuo vs Izaya (Durarara)
Once things escalate with the plans of the Homunculi, the rivalry between Ed and Scar is either put on the back burner in terms of focus or spoiler[they become allies in halting the plans of the Homunculi], depending on whichever anime version you are following. Meanwhile in Durarara, Shizuo and Izaya continue to hate each other's guts throughout the series and enough background is provided on the two to give you the sense that the rivalry is quite personal and has lasted for quite a while since they were teens. I still believe its too early to knock these guys out of the tournament.

Match A-24: Team Dai-Gurren vs Anti-Spiral (Gurren Lagann)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17

I like Gungrave. I think that it’s a pretty good story but for the purposes of this Tournament I’m going to have to vote against it because in the end, Brandon and Harry sided together against their enemies and because of that, in a way, became friends again. I haven’t seen Death Note but I don’t recall hearing that Light and L ever joined forces against a mutual enemy.

Group A-18

I love both these series. Cried a lot because of X, laughed some too. Laughed a lot because of Bleach cried some too. And while there were friendships and some respect between the Dragons of Heaven and the Dragons of Earth, theirs is a truer rivalry than Renji’s and Ichigo’s ever was. Their rivalry lasted only a few episodes. So because of that I’m voting for Heaven vs Earth

Group A-19

Group A-20

Group A-21

Group A-22

Group A-23

I have just started watching Durarara!! But I have seen the episode featuring Shizuo and his talking about Izaya. And he says that he just doesn’t like the guy from the first moment he saw Izaya. Now, from what little I’ve seen, Izaya does seem go out of his way to push Shizuo’s buttons, but that doesn’t do enough to make me want to vote against the very good rivalry that is Edward Elric vs Scar

Group A-24

Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.
Light vs. L. No competition.

Group A-18
vs.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
I just want to say OMG. I just finished watching Shiki today and wow O_O. As a person whose seen both series, I can easily say the Shiki rivalry blows Spike vs. Vicious completely out of the water. So strong is the hatred on each side that spoiler[many of the Shiki (basically vampires) attack their own human family members.] That in a way is kind of expected so the tragedy is dulled, but what really hammers the horror home (so to speak =P) is when spoiler[a human, doctor Ozaki, restrains and experiments on his own wife when she rises as a Shiki, inadvertently torturing her to find out her weaknesses. He cuts her and injects her with cyanide, finally killing her by hammering a wooden stake in to her heart. All this while she whimpers and calls out his name until he puts duct tape over her mouth to keep her from speaking.]

Group A-20
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
vs.

Group A-22
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.
Edward Elric vs. Scar

Group A-24
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome[/quote]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Light Yagami v L

Group A-18
vs.

Dragons of Heaven v Dragons of Earth

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Humans v Shiki

Group A-20
vs.

Team Inuyasha v Naraku

Group A-21
vs.

Akito Hayami v Naozumi Kamura

Group A-22
vs.

San v Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.

Edward Elric v Scar: Although Shizuo is funny and Izaya is deliciously evil, their conflict isn’t particularly interesting. Izaya treats Shizuo with contempt and it’s eventually up to the Russian sushi-bar bloke to give Izaya the reward he so richly deserves, something Shizuo is quite incapable of doing. By contrast, in the first FMA series, Scar is a seriously chilling character who repeatedly puts Edward Elric in harm’s way.

Group A-24
vs.

Arika Yumemiya v Nina Wang
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
Voting for: Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note

They still are the team to beat, IMO, and I really don't know much about their competition. Next round though, that could change ...

Group A-18
Voting for: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV

Still supporting my nomination, especially since the competition sounds like they may have more issues than the Dragons do.

Group A-19
Voting for: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

I'm going to continue giving these guys support ... for now. I still think they are too underdeveloped as far at the series on a whole goes to really have staying power.

Group A-20
Voting for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise

Group A-21
Voting for: Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha

Group A-22
Voting for: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game

Group A-23
Voting for: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!

Group A-24
Voting for: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Since it's hard not to go into spoilers in Shiki's case, the description beneath inevitably reveals how the story develops. However, I tried not to give specific examples so as to make it as vague as possible.

I read all the comments about Spike and Vicious and it seems that they are not very strong rivals, but they get votes because they are more popular. It appears to me that Shiki vs. Humans definitely deserve to advance far more than Spike and Vicious. The conflict between humans and shiki poses an interesting ethical dilemma.

On the one hand Shiki want to take over the little town in a remote area. They spoiler[are killing] the local people in secret. On the other hand there are the local people who, once they realized what is going on, started doing exactly the same thing that Shiki have been doing for months. The only difference is that they are not hiding it, which also provides an interesting contrast. One group is getting rid of the other in secret, the other is doing it openly. Ironically, the greatest tragedy lies in two striking similarities of both groups. Both want to survive and in both there is consent to resort to extreme violence to wipe out the other group.

The uncontrollable spiral of violence in the second half of the series which seals most of the characters' fate is so intense that it makes the audience filled with a sense of impending doom. In other words, the intensity of the conflict is palpable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 38