• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you had told me this time last week that there was going to be a Flawless Victory in this Group, I would have suspected at least five other match-ups before D-14 to be the culprit. Their win I expected; their margin of victory I didn't. I also didn't expect Johan vs. Tenma to go down so easily, but the arguments the other way seemed to be there this time. We also saw our first tie of the tournament, and I'm a little surprised that it was in D-7. Will be interesting to see if either of them can do anything against the baseball team match-up next round.

On the one hand: Yay, my nomination got the first shut out since two tournaments ago! On the other hand: Aw, my nomination was the first to be shut out since two tournaments ago.

But, yeah, I'm surprised that one of all matches was where it happened. Tadase and Ikuto aren't stellar, but they were decent, and Shugo Chara is pretty hugely popular on CrunchyRoll. It's not like ANN has anything against magical girl shows, either.

Also, I'm blaming the tie for the delay in getting the scores up. (It's only a little delay for the scores, but it messes up some other stuff I keep track of). Well, that and that I was busy with personal stuff Tuesday night. So mini-game scores: here.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn. That's the first time I ever nailed a bracket perfectly and placing first. Shocked

Better lavish having the lead while I can! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
Well done, Ggultra2764. I'm just happy to not completely fail (with that I mean, scoring almost no points at all. Luckily that's not the case!)

Before leaving on the plane to Turkey Cool (don't worry, back in 10 days), I have to vote first! Don't be too jealous, I have a suture/stitch in my foot and am forbidden to swim. I'll be naughty and swim anyway...

Group A-17
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Brandon Heat vs. Harry McDowell, Gungrave
Voting for: Light Yagami vs. L
No brainer. The other rivalry sounded impressive, but Light vs. L is one of the best rivalries. Constantly trying to outsmart the other, the early episodes kept me on the edge of my seat.

Group A-18
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV
vs.
Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari, Bleach
Voting for: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth
Based on other people's arguments.

Group A-19
Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
Voting for: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious

Group A-20
Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari
vs.
Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku, Inuyasha franchise
Voting for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise
vs.
Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha
Voting for: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

Group A-22
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game
vs.
San vs. Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Voting for: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon
Wait, why did I think Cross Game's rivalry was better? Maybe because the movie's shorter and thus had less impact on me? I do think that of the two CG rivalries, this one is actually better. There is more emotion going on, instead of just two good groups competing against one another. Coach Daimon is a better and more evil antagonist than Ryuou Academy. While both parties (Daimon & Ryuou) need to be defeated, the first one endangered that Kou & co could even be baseball players in the first place.

Group A-23
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!!
vs.
Edward Elric vs. Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
Voting for: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara
I have a thing for that rivalry. The Edward Elric vs. Scar rivalry is not the best of its series.

Group A-24
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome[/quote]
Voting for: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Im incredibly surprised at how little support Shiki is getting in this round. I guess it shouldn't surprise me since Cowboy Bebop has a huge reputation (and is an awesome show). But the thing is, the rivalry between Spike and Vicious is weak. We're told that there is bad blood between the two, especially on Vicious's side, but not much of their conflict is actually shown. Nothing even remotely resembling a rivalry pops up until the last couple episodes.

Shiki on the other hand is an all-out war for survival between two races. It doesn't portray the Shiki/vampires as mindless bloodthirsty beasts, but as people who live and laugh and for the most part just want to survive and have a place to call home. They're scared and confused when they are first born and spoiler[Toru in particular struggles with his new identity]. They kill the humans in the village because they'll die if they don't, and to create spoiler[a safe base for them to live where they don't have to worry about getting staked or hiding their true nature.] Sympathetic as many of the Shiki are, the humans are of course pitiable as they are being hunted and slaughtered, but as is shown in the second half of the series are not helpless. This adversarial relationship between the Shiki and humans is what this entire series is about, and the war between the two keeps you on edge until spoiler[the bloody ending, where a village of 1300 people is burned to the ground with hundreds of bodies piled and scattered throughout. Out of approximately 50 Shiki, only 2 escape.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
A-17
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note vs.

Voting for: Brandon vs Harry
Because: I acknowledge Light and L as being a powerhouse rivalry for good reason, but the write up and Unicorn Blade's vote make me feel the Gungrave nominee deserves a little more recognition than they've been getting, especially since I feel Light and L's personalities are a little too exaggerated. I will probably vote for them next round, though.
LydiaDianne wrote:
I haven’t seen Death Note but I don’t recall hearing that Light and L ever joined forces against a mutual enemy.

They kinda did, actually. spoiler[During that contrived bit with the memory loss, Light genuinely believed he was working with L to capture Kira.]

A-18
Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth, X TV vs.

Voting for: Dragons
Because: For much the same reason that I didn't vote for Ichigo and Renji in the first round, Renji's relevance diminishes pretty quickly after Ichigo beats him.

A-19
Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Voting for: Humans vs Shiki
Because: I think this might be the most visceral and desperate rivalry in the entire tournament. Once the stakes become genuinely clear to both sides, and the conflict comes out into the open, nothing is sacred. It's a battle for survival, but many of the feelings are intensely personal, as most of the shiki were originally humans, and several brutal murders are committed by and against immediate family members.
The Cowboy Bebop rivalry does play a pretty major defining role for understanding Spike, but as it has been mentioned, not a whole lot of time is devoted to it.

A-20
Togame vs. Princess Hitei, Katanagatari vs.

Voting for: Togame vs Hitei
Because: It's almost pointless to try campaigning for them now, as the Inuyasha rivalry has such a crushing advantage. Togame and Hitei are mostly a lightly fun rivalry, with their few exchanges providing some nice banter, and their comments and observations about the other to their respective companions when apart make for some amusement.
The following spoiler may ruin the series for you if you haven't seen it yet. You are warned.
The revelation in the final episode that spoiler[Hitei is a descendant of the creator of the swords, and Togame's father discovered the purpose of the swords, which ultimately leads Hitei to having Togame assassinated in an effort to drastically change the history of the world (an effort that turns out to be futile in spite of Togame's death).]

A-21
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing franchise vs.

Voting for: Alucard vs Alexander
Because: I feel like removing Naozumi from the series wouldn't have really been a terribly noticeable loss for Kodocha. Anderson might not have been a huge factor in the plot (haven't seen Ultimate beyond the first OVA), but he was hella fun.

A-22
Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon, Cross Game vs.

Voting for: San vs Eboshi
Because: San and Eboshi are just so well balanced as opposing forces. While the prefab team's struggle against Daimon was engaging, that he was clearly the villain and we are supposed to desire his downfall somehow seems less profound than the ambiguity of who holds the moral high ground in Princess Mononoke.

A-23
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!! vs.

Voting for: Edward vs Scar
Because: Partly over the bitterness of Sekai and Kotonoha losing last round. I think I remember feeling annoyed that there was some reason that I felt Shizuo and Izaya were clearly inferior, but I don't seem to have shared it then, and can't remember what it was now. Something about how one-sided the confrontations always turned out, perhaps?

A-24
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Gurren Lagann vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome

Voting for: Arika vs Nina
Because: Dai-Gurren's match up against Jomy and Keith last round showed to me that they are being rather over rated, with bombast and intergalactic stakes being the primary motivators, but Key's post is the only one that makes a case either way, and it shouldn't be ignored. The My-Otome rivalry has a more personal and emotional component that I generally value more highly in this tournament.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Light Yagami vs. L, going with the bandwagon (I think, rushing my votes... again.)

Group A-18
vs.

Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Humans vs. Shiki, the rivalry, like Dorcas_Aurelia mentioned, involves personal feelings. The humans hate the Shiki for the damage they've caused to the town. The main Shikis, the Kirishiki family, have long desired a safe haven and they needed a place like Sotoba village. To create such a place, they have to get rid of the humans spoiler[ by making the humans "join" them.] After the humans figure out what's truly happening, they're unhappy and they sought to eradicate this "evil" in the village.

Group A-20
vs.

Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
vs.

Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

Group A-22
vs.

San vs. Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.

Edward Elric vs. Scar, Scar really hates alchemists and has a vendetta (?) against them. Especially with what he witnessed in that war. My memories of FMA: Brotherhood are a bit vague, but Scar vs. Edward had some of the best fights in the FMA: Brotherhood series.

Group A-24
vs.

Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral

Rushed through my votes... Again, yea, losing a lot of my free time to sleep and volunteering. Not only that, but I also don't really want to put effort to explaining some of my votes because I'm a lazy person. I was expecting more votes for Shiki in Group A-19 but it's probably my bad write up or many people probably have not seen it. Maybe being a huge fanboy of Shiki has made me quite defensive about it...
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Though I have not seen the series, this intellectual rivalry appeals to me. These two can even make "chess" exciting through their moves and stratagems that they employ on each other. In this battle of minds, the first to make a mistake, even the smallest one, loses.

My vote goes to: Light Yagami vs. L.

Group A-18
vs.

My vote goes to: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

My vote goes to: Humans vs. Shiki.

Group A-20
vs.

My vote goes to: Togame vs. Princess Hitei.

Group A-21
vs.

My vote goes to: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson.

Group A-22
vs.

My vote goes to: San vs. Lady Eboshi.

Group A-23
vs.

My vote goes to: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara.

Group A-24
vs.

My vote goes to: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Voting For: Light Yagami vs. L

Group A-18
vs.

Voting For: Ichigo Kurosaki vs. Renji Ibari

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Voting For: Humans vs. Shiki
I got tired of Shiki pretty early in the series and dropped it but the truth is I was never a huge fan of Vicious either, I like how the rivalry affected Spike, one of the reasons I supported Spike throughout the last tourney, but Vicious was not really all that developed- he was "the bad guy"- I didn't care for him. So I'll give Shiki the advantage here, it may be a show I don't plan on finishing but the arguments here and what I saw of it point to the show being worthy of moving on.

Group A-20
vs.

Voting For: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku
I love Katanagari but this rivalry is a bit of a facade, both characters are many battling their own demons and dealing with their own ambitions and the other is a convenient target.

Group A-21
vs.

Voting For: Akito Hayami vs. Naozumi Kamura

Group A-22
vs.

Voting For: Seishu Prefab Team vs. Coach Daimon

Group A-23
vs.

Voting For: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara
I may have nominated the Scar match up but it was mainly because I thought they should be here and was curious how they'd do, not a personal favorite (BTW - if they move on to the video round, I will be unable to suggest clips). Shizuo and Izaya have such a personal feel to it and you have to cheer for the guy who wants to make Shizuo hurt.

Group A-24
vs.

Voting For: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral
Hey, it's basically a fight to determine the nature of the universe, I think that's worth a vote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shadow13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.

Group A-18
vs.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

Group A-20
vs.

Group A-21
vs.

Group A-22
vs.

Group A-23
vs.

Group A-24
vs.

saving the world tops a rivalry

Last edited by shadow13 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
shadow13, you must provide a supporting argument for at least one of your votes otherwise they do not count.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
vs.
Voting for: Light Yagami vs. L
Easy choice. The battle of wits between L and Light is not only engrossing, interesting, and adrenaline packed. but it is also the driving force that drives the plot and keeps viewers hooked.

Group A-18
vs.
Voting for: Dragons of Heaven vs. Dragons of Earth
Only a lukewarm supporter of the Bleach rivalry, and only have heard great things about the other pair.

Group A-19
vs.
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki
Voting for: Spike Spiegel vs. Vicious

Group A-20
vs.
Voting for: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku

Group A-21
vs.
Voting for: Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson

Group A-22
vs.
Voting for: San vs Lady Eboshi

Group A-23
vs.
Voting for: Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara
Not only is the FMA rivalry underwhelming the Durarara one is thoroughly entertaining and great source of belly laughs. On a more objective note, this rivalry also contrasts the age old feud between brains and brawn, but with a more modern twist.

Group A-24
vs.
Arika Yumemiya vs. Nina Wang, My-Otome[/quote]
Voting for: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral

Last edited by Olliff on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17

Unicorn Blade's argument swayed me in their favor.

Group A-18

A classic for me.

Group A-19
Humans vs. Shiki, Shiki

So pretty much all of the arguments before me, starting with Aylinn's write-up, are exactly why I feel that this rivalry is a strong contender. Not only that, but the series generated a 34-page thread with a darn good portion of that thread being a debate about which side people were rooting for, who was more evil, and the entire morality of the situation. For a series to stir up such a passionate debate on the two rivals in the story shows how successful it was in developing that rivalry.

Group A-20

Sorry, Katanagatari, I don't care much for Inuyasha, but the rivalry was established with a painful flourish right from the beginning all the way through that overextended series up until its end.

Group A-21

Group A-22

Sadly, I can't vote for the Cross Game rivalry, because while it was really engaging I'm going to have to agree with Dorcas_Aurelia that the ambiguity on a scale of right/wrong leaves a deeper impact. In fact, it's one of the reasons that I came to like Princess Mononoke less than Miyazaki's other movies (which is strange since I normally prefer grey in my entertainment instead of white/black... but in this case it just bothered me enough to ruin a bit of my enjoyment).

Group A-23

Group A-24

I feel like I shouldn't be voting for them - Key's write-up for the My-Otome rivalry is a very good argument - but in the end it's a rational justification that's up against my passionate love for the last half of the series with the epic face-off between the Spirals and Anti-Spirals that had me jumping up, shouting at the tv, and fist-pumping. That rivalry really got my blood pumping, and comparing it to a series I haven't yet seen such that I can't understand the emotional impact behind the arguments... well, the arguments just don't stack up in the end. I was emotionally invested in that final battle in GL, and that's what I'm going to have to side with.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Apologies for the delay on this, but I've had something terribly important come up which has been completely occupying me for the last three hours and is likely to continue to occupy me every waking moment for the next twelve hours or so. Once that's out of the way, I will post the final tally for this Group and the new Group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

Or, rather, it was closed almost 23 hours ago. Sheesh! Apologies for the delay, folks; I had one of those "determine your future" type of job interviews earlier this afternoon and could not get myself to focus on anything but that for the past 24 hours. (Still jittery over it, since I now have to wait until Friday to find out if I succeeded or will have find an entirely new full-time career path.)

Anyway, the results. A mere 16 votes were cast but that did result in a couple of minor surprises:

A-17: Light vs. L out-thought Brand vs. Harry, 13-3.
A-18: Dragons of Heaven/Earth stomped Ichigo vs. Renji, 14-2.
A-19: Humans vs. Shiki eliminates Spike vs. Vicious, 9-7.
A-20: Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku swamped Togame vs. Hitei, 14-2.
A-21: Alucard vs. Anderson beat Akito vs. Naozumi, 12-4.
A-22: San vs. Lady Eboshi took out Seishu Prefab vs. Daimon, 11-5.
A-23: Shizuyo vs. Izaya fought down Ed vs. Scar, 10-6.
A-24: Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral was too epic for Arika vs. Nina, 11-5.

Of these, A-19 and A-23 were the minor surprises to me, but Humans vs. Shiki really got a heavy push behind them and Durarara!'s popularity apparently gave it enough of a chance against FMA. Both matches were close all the way. A-24 was close for most of the round but the GL rivalry pushed decisively ahead in the last few votes. That one disappointed me, as Arika vs. Nina was, I think, a highly underrated rivalry and there would have been some excellent clips to support them. Their opponent was hardly a push-over, though, so I guess that can't be helped.

That leaves some heady match-ups for Round 3. Is the Shiki conflict strong enough to compete with the defining Inuyasha rivalry? Can Princess Mononoke's main rivalry overcome the cool factor of the Hellsing rivalry? Durarara! or Gurren Lagann? Should be fun!

But first we have Group B. And that should be coming up in a few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group B is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Much-delayed but still here! Some of these match-ups look awfully juicy, so let’s see some good arguments.

Group B-17
Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures
vs.
Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl, Sailor Moon

Group B-18
Le Secret du Roi vs. Revolutionary Brethren, Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise

Group B-19
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
vs.
Group B-6
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z

Group B-20
Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There
vs.
Inuyasha vs. Koga, Inuyasha franchise

Group B-21
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Group B-22
Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai, School Rumble
vs.
Capulets vs. Lord Montague, Romeo x Juliet

Group B-23
Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise
vs.
Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis, Summer Wars

Group B-24
Three Goddesses vs. Mara, Ah!/Oh My Goddess franchise
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam

Last edited by Key on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 38