• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Series that "Educate"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I read a couple pieces from Confidential Confessions recently and picked up volume 4. This isn't the best series or in some senses, even a series. Rather, it is a series of stories that talk about the harsher side of Japanese society as they pertain to teenage girls.
The reason I'm writing this is that it has been very good in helping me to understand the nature of Japanese society, particularly where it's conformist attitudes come from and the nature of human dignity.
Has there been any Manga that you've enjoyed for what you get out of it on, for lack of a better term, a "higher level"?

All the best,

Nani?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what your getting at. Is it something that educates about Japanese culture or a manga that is rather deep in its ideas and concepts? I've read several of the latter, and thats a pretty vauge idea that many series can be put under, so I'll assume the former.
In that case, Lone Wolf and Cob really stands out in my mind. It has so many diffrent aspects of feudal Japan within it and really teaches the reader about the concept of Bushido. But more than that, looking at the 28 volumes as a whole it in many ways is a spiritual journey. A father and son, existing in an infinitally brutal world, with only their honor and their philisophical path to give their lives meaning. As it progresses we see this path evolve, and the manga explores many aspects of feudal Japan like Buddhist philosophy. Its an incredibly deep read. Other Samurai manga like Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal have also borrowed many ideas from LWaC (though in Blade philosophy takes a backseat to human conflict), but they are quite diffrent.
Buddha is also very much educational.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm..if I am guessing right...

I would say GTO does a good job at educating people about some youth issues have with adults. And some issues with how the Japanese school system is being ran. At first I thought that was some really nice stories in GTO, until I saw an article in Animerica and in a textbook stating the same issues that was being addressed in GTO. Of course, GTO doesn't give the exact reasons why those kids act that way, and it does not give credible ways to deal with those issues. Who can take six shots and ace a entrance exam?

Anyway, GTO does give a fair look at what is happening. I am sure there are others, but I like how GTO deals with the issues. Very idealistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten to read the manga, but I would think Azumanga Daioh would have some things pertaining to Japanese culture. The anime certainly covers a bunch about Japanese culture.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Especially for us foreigners, almost eveyr single manga is educational in some aspect or another. Actually, Confidential Confessions, one of my favorite manga series, isn't that educational because everything it talks about has been told to every single one of us about a hundred time. (I mean, come on, people are saying Vol. 5 had a very educational aspect about AIDS. Anyone who didn't know most of that stuff about AIDS needs to go back to high school).
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
There's a similar series to Confidential Confessions, but only in the way that it consists of individual stories by the same author, and pertain some degree of reality. It's called..."Erica Sakurazawa: Works" and it's rated M for Mature by Tokyopop. But it doesn't have anything to do with Japanese culture, not the one I read anyway.

I hear Shortcuts has to do with kogal. Why not give it a try?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
I read a couple pieces from Confidential Confessions recently and picked up volume 4. This isn't the best series or in some senses, even a series. Rather, it is a series of stories that talk about the harsher side of Japanese society as they pertain to teenage girls.
The reason I'm writing this is that it has been very good in helping me to understand the nature of Japanese society, particularly where it's conformist attitudes come from and the nature of human dignity.
Has there been any Manga that you've enjoyed for what you get out of it on, for lack of a better term, a "higher level"?

All the best,

Nani?

I think what's interesting, though, is that Confidential Confessions would have the same impact whether it were based in Japan or not. The things that happen to the girls could happen to any girl, not just a Japanese one. So, I'm kind of confused on how CC is offering you some secret glimpse into the harsh reality of conformist Japan.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sounds as if I need to clarify a little,

Lets start with Culture-- I guess mean more from an anthropological perspective. "Culture" can mean everything from the intricies of Buddhism to a girl being asked to pee in a bottle for money, something you don't see in the U.S. very often. There are series that I have been fasinated by the metaphysics of Japanese religion for example.

[quote=lianncoop]
I think what's interesting, though, is that Confidential Confessions would have the same impact whether it were based in Japan or not. The things that happen to the girls could happen to any girl, not just a Japanese one. So, I'm kind of confused on how CC is offering you some secret glimpse into the harsh reality of conformist Japan.[/quote]

On one hand your right. A lot of things and reactions are simular.
But I do think some reactions are significantly different and those differences are "educational". Take the story Distortion in vol 4. spoiler[After the suicide(?) of the main character's best friend, literally nobody, other then the father who lost a daughter, is openly or even covertly sympathetic to the main characters viewpoint. This is true even after she is put in a cage and dunked repeatedly in a school pool by a teacher and beaten with a bamboo sword. In fact, the opposite mostly true. She and her desceased friend are seen as trouble makers until she delibertly incites the teacher to beat her to near death. ]

True, you would have a lot of the same reactions here in the U.S. or Europe of institutions covering their butt, students reluctant to go up against the administration to protect thier standing or being genuinely sympathetic to them. But there would also be a significant group of parents and students up in arms in anger.
In no way would a teacher spoiler[get away with ripping off the clothes of a female student and be protected by the administration. In no way would an (apparently) public institution have many of the rules that this place has.]
But this is portrayed in an apparently realistic manga because this does happen in Japan; not just according to the author but also other sources I've glimmered from reading/seeing/talking about Japan.
At the same time CC is more frank/graphic then a lot of stuff aimed at adolecents in this country and to some degree avoids being moralistic. You wouldn't have, for example, the boyfriend of a teenage prostitute getting her to spoiler[give up prostitution by taking her in the bedroom and teaching her to enjoy her own body and by showing the willingness to learn how to please her. That way, she knows the difference between "love" and doing something for "money" ] in a lot of places in the world.
In this sense, the series is "educational" because you get a sense of how different people/peoples think in ways most people can't by simply reading say, a news article.

All the best,

Nani?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the manga Death Note could fall under this category. Bascially I've learned a lot about the Japanese justice system. Not only that, but it gives an intresting outlook on humanity itself, and the changes to society someone can make with the power to kill. Other things it touches on: dishonor in a Japanese family and work, and Elegant Gothic Lolita, a sub culture in Japan.

Also, another manga that was the first I ran across to go into other Japanese subculture: Othello. The main character is one of the many J-rock fans of Japan who spend their weekends on the street in cosplay with other cosplayers.

Comic Party gives at look at the doujinshi industry.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
I think we should be a bit more specific. Just saying that any manga that has some aspect of Japanese culture is going to be a really long list thread.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I think we should be a bit more specific. Just saying that any manga that has some aspect of Japanese culture is going to be a really long list thread.

Yea, kind of confuse by the thread myself.

lianncoop wrote:
The things that happen to the girls could happen to any girl, not just a Japanese one. So, I'm kind of confused on how CC is offering you some secret glimpse into the harsh reality of conformist Japan.

Yea, I have to agree.

Well what people have to understand is manga are fiction. Did it really happen or did someone came up with that idea? Just because it's portray in manga does not mean it represent what the society is about. Different people see society differently. If you live there and see it around you than I bet you know than your point of view becomes clearer.

I bet if someone read @large, they might think that's how all suburban African american act and live....

Some manga that has philosophical aspect will englighten you though. But then again, a lot of manga out there has some value that people can used.

But if you like confidental confession, I say you read the book Innocent World by Ami Sakurai.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
Littlegreenwolf wrote:
Comic Party gives at look at the doujinshi industry.

Yes, but as you say, just gives a short look. Because many things that appear there people already know them, but the new things that we could learn...Well, there aren't so much of them. I think it fills more for someone who's new to anime and its world, Then yes, it would be helpful Anime smile

And I want to add to that list Say Hello to Black Jack. As Japan wants to give to the rest of the world a really good image, this manga criticizes it's health system in a way that is not expected. And certainly, the readers start to think "Wow...That's worst than what I would ever imaginate"...Yes, and I do trust on it. Not at all, but I'll remember it in further discussions about Japan or whatever...
che_guevara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Nani? wrote:

All the best,

Nani?

I think what's interesting, though, is that Confidential Confessions would have the same impact whether it were based in Japan or not. The things that happen to the girls could happen to any girl, not just a Japanese one. So, I'm kind of confused on how CC is offering you some secret glimpse into the harsh reality of conformist Japan.

It's written from a Japanese perspective, so it must reflect some kind of opinion or view that is prevalent in Japan, even if it turns out that it's no different from what we see in the US, that in itself is a glimpse into Japanese culture. Yes, girls could be in simlar situation anywhere in the world, but in Afghanistan a rape victim might react differently than in Alabama, who herself might react differently from a girl in New York. I'm not stereotyping, just referring to the prevalent confomist cultures. If CC reveals that there are no differences, that in itself is an important aspect of Japanese culture, and a clear sign that globalization is (positively or negatively) changing views and opinions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1