• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4 RPG Gets TV Anime by AIC ASTA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
8DD Awesome! Can't wait to see it; I hope they license it over here in the US.

Though I am going to have to finish the game first, most likely. xD;;

Last edited by thefuturemrsuzumaki on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm excited by this and then I'm not at the same time. Firstly I really want to see it but I won't watch it unless dubbed(Loved the games dub and to me that's how the characters sound and going over to the Japanese after having played the game through like 3 times would just be odd) And chances are it either won't get licensed or if it does it will be released sub only. Or if it does it will be released with a different cast. The closest bit of hope is that I'm pretty sure Bang Zoom did the games dub and if Aniplex licenses it for releases(or just bring it over however it works with them) then chances are if they dub it Bang Zoom will be the ones to do it and they will bring back the original cast or at least one could hope. It's all unlikely though,

On top of that I wonder what it's gonna be about. The game is quite long and I wonder how they would fit it into a series. It would need to be at least 26 episodes and then they would need to not stray from the plot at all. The last thing we need here is a Fate/Stay Night style butchering of the plot. I think it would be a bit more interesting if it was something that takes place after the end of the game. The ending did leave things open in a few ways and it would not be that hard to continue on with a new story. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
I don't like this.

Not that the series will be bad... In fact, I think it'll be pretty godamn hard to screw this one up. They'll have to actively try to pooch it if they wanna mess it up. P4 as a package is just that good.

That said, what I don't like is the fact that Aniplex is plastered over it. Which means Aniplex USA will bring it here. Which means they'll be too damn cheap to re-hire the original voice actors who practically gave those characters life (1-I can't godamn stand Romi Paku. 2-Troy Baker win. 3-Rie Kugimiya is almost as annoying as Romi Paku). Why will they be too damn cheap? Because they cheapened out on Isaac and Miria in the DRRR dub... I mean, seriously...was it that hard to outsource 10 seconds of dialogue to an in-house studio, just because you yourself didn't hire them?

As I recall, the only reason why Scott McNeil, an Ocean Group voice actor, voiced Hohenheim in the first FMA series...was cause he and Mignogna were buddies. That's it.

Aniplex = cheap bastards. And cheap bastards tend to worry me. Call me paranoid, but does anyone in here know what Spider Jerusalem said about paranoid people? ‎"Remember: a paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I don't like this.

Not that the series will be bad... In fact, I think it'll be pretty godamn hard to screw this one up. They'll have to actively try to pooch it if they wanna mess it up. P4 as a package is just that good.

That said, what I don't like is the fact that Aniplex is plastered over it. Which means Aniplex USA will bring it here. Which means they'll be too damn cheap to re-hire the original voice actors who practically gave those characters life (1-I can't godamn stand Romi Paku. 2-Troy Baker win. 3-Rie Kugimiya is almost as annoying as Romi Paku). Why will they be too damn cheap? Because they cheapened out on Isaac and Miria in the DRRR dub... I mean, seriously...was it that hard to outsource 10 seconds of dialogue to an in-house studio, just because you yourself didn't hire them?

As I recall, the only reason why Scott McNeil, an Ocean Group voice actor, voiced Hohenheim in the first FMA series...was cause he and Mignogna were buddies. That's it.

Aniplex = cheap bastards. And cheap bastards tend to worry me. Call me paranoid, but does anyone in here know what Spider Jerusalem said about paranoid people? ‎"Remember: a paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."

Aniplex involvement does not always mean Aniplex USA will release it here themselves. What did Sentai just announce recently? Wasn't Angel Beats an Aniplex series?

One assumption could be NISA getting it since they got Persona Trinity Soul, but then that may throw out the chances of a dub even happening.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

On top of that I wonder what it's gonna be about. The game is quite long and I wonder how they would fit it into a series. It would need to be at least 26 episodes and then they would need to not stray from the plot at all.

Given that borefest Trinity Soul was 26 episodes I don't think it'd be hard for them to give Persona 4 the same, or more.

And on the topic of who'd license it I'm not looking forward to that at all, Aniplex, NISA, or any other company otherwise. It's likely any of the studios won't try to re-hire the original cast, and it NISA gets it like Trinity Soul they'll probably just release it with only subs.
Lenks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
I wonder why they changed the MC's name.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Aniplex involvement does not always mean Aniplex USA will release it here themselves. What did Sentai just announce recently? Wasn't Angel Beats an Aniplex series?

There is that. But there is also the fact that Aniplex has started scooping up shows that are already licensed to other distributors. Baccano being the first example.

Lenks wrote:

Seta Souji is a bit of a lightweight name for someone who is, well, a badass.

Last edited by John Casey on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
But why did they change the MC's name from Souji Seta to Yu Narukami? The fans have been using the first one for the past three years.

This actually bothers me. Not the name change, but the attitude (which I've already seen elsewhere, as well) that Souji is somehow "official", just because fandom has adopted it from the manga. Yes, it's from a licensed product. That doesn't make it official. It's no more official than Tir, Riou, Lazlo, and Freyjadour (Suikoden I, II, IV, and V, respectively). His "official" name is whatever you decide to name him. The animation staff decided to name him Yu. There's no "change" involved.

AntztheGreat wrote:
Worth mentioning that today, April 11th, 2011, is the in-game date that Persona 4 started on.

Well, it was technically the 12th in Japan when the announcement was made, but whatever.

Actually, check the article again. "Last minutes" of the 11th. It had actually been bothering me, because the countdown was a minute off from my computer, until I realized it. It was the 11th. 11:59pm on the 11th.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Lenks wrote:

Seta Souji is a bit of a lightweight name for someone who is, well, a badass.

The new one is actually kind of plot-related but personally I think it's cheesy as hell sounding and unnecessary.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

On top of that I wonder what it's gonna be about. The game is quite long and I wonder how they would fit it into a series. It would need to be at least 26 episodes and then they would need to not stray from the plot at all.

Given that borefest Trinity Soul was 26 episodes I don't think it'd be hard for them to give Persona 4 the same, or more.

And on the topic of who'd license it I'm not looking forward to that at all, Aniplex, NISA, or any other company otherwise. It's likely any of the studios won't try to re-hire the original cast, and it NISA gets it like Trinity Soul they'll probably just release it with only subs.

The best one to license it would be Aniplex. Because if they DO end up dubbing it they will use Bang Zoom for that dub and I'm 90% sure that Bang Zoom did the dub for the game(At least based on the actors in it that seems to be the case.) The question is if they do bring it over will they bother dubbing it? That's the big question and chances are it would be no. Also it's a good bet that if Funi licensed it they would try to keep the original cast but I don't seem them bothering with it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I recall PCB Productions doing the dub.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean more rehashes of P4 on the PSP and/or 3DS in the future?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

There is that. But there is also the fact that Aniplex has started scooping up shows that are already licensed to other distributors. Baccano being the first example.

Baccano was a case of the Blu-ray rights not being offered to the distributor.
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
The closest bit of hope is that I'm pretty sure Bang Zoom did the games dub and if Aniplex licenses it for releases(or just bring it over however it works with them) then chances are if they dub it Bang Zoom will be the ones to do it and they will bring back the original cast or at least one could hope. It's all unlikely though,

Bang Zoom has never worked on a Persona title. PCB Productions has been responsible for recording the Persona 3 and 4 dubs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm at episode 16, I believe, of Persona: Trinity Soul and I've been enjoying it a lot. I had heard a lot of bad things about it, so maybe I'm benefitting from lowered expectations, but it's working for me. I am completely unfamiliar with the game it is (apparently, loosely) based on, so I didn't have any of that baggage interfering with my viewing, either.

Anyhoo, considering I am liking Persona: Trinity Soul, I'm happy to hear about Persona 4 getting an anime as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4