• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Unfortunately, I see this as a problem on both sides.

You have companies, publishers, and creators that vilify the consumer and alienate them to the point where it's almost turning into an insult,
Really? They are villifying and alienating people who are buying their stuff for buying their stuff? Really?

Bootleg viewers are not consumers of that product, until and unless they buy the product, and for those products that they do buy, they are no longer supporting the rival bootleg market for that work.

And we know that on average bootleg viewers buy less stuff, because of the way that the sales of the mid-range titles dropped when bootleg viewing rose.

Quote:
and Consumers who are hungry for product, yet aren't able to get them and resort to less than scrupulous means.
But the majority of bootleg viewers have legit means of getting content that they are not using. If the majority of bootleg viewers only viewed bootlegs when there was no legit source in their country, then more legit streaming simulcasts would be available for substantially more countries.

For example, Naruto Shippuden is available on worldwide simulcast, and worldwide ad-streaming a week later, yet there are dozens of leech streaming sites that stream bootlegs of Naruto Shippuden. In the alternative universe in which poor oppressed anime viewers only turn to bootlegs because they have no legit access ~ the dedicated Naruto bootleg websites would not exist at all, and the leech streaming sites would not carry Naruto.

Quote:
Where is this middle ground where both can co-exist in somewhat equal harmony?
Actually, it could well exist in that alternative reality you seemed to be describing, where bootlegging is only used as an alternative when no legit means are available to actually consume the product. In that world, the incentive to grant simulcast streaming rights would be substantially stronger, so we would expect to see more simulcast streams in more countries than we see in the real world, where there is rampant bootlegging of popular titles irrespective of whether the bootleg viewer has a legit source.

kakoishii wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I am endorse fan advertisement via grass roots support of independent companies and products. When a company goes public then the rules of capitalism kick in; the business puts out product, the business showcases and brings the necessary attention to the product, and the business secures the future of the product. A business not able to do this on their own fails - I am not being mean, negative, or emotionally involved by saying that.

pretty much this. I find it a little shocking how people are choosing to ignore this simple fact and are instead consumed with pointing finger amongst themselves as consumers. I can understand how people are worried about the industry and want it to last. I love anime as much as the next fan, but there is no denying that there is a serious problem here. The anime industry is the only industry I can think of who would make a more of a point to blame the consumer for it's plummeting sales rather than taking a look at itself and try and find a way to get people to start buying again.

First, this particular distinction between "an independent company" and "when a company goes public" is quite daft. Closely held commercial corporations are somehow outside the capitalist system so they are pure, while publicly trade commercial corporations are filthy capitalists, so fans should scrupulously avoid doing anything that might make the publicly trade corporation better off as a side-effect of making things better for the creators of the works that they love? That's not an argument where you start from the premise and then reach the conclusion ~ its an argument where you decide what the conclusion is, and then start working to find assumptions that lead to the desired answer.

Second, if the anime industry is the only industry that you know of that is struggling with the problem of how to discourage bootleg consumption while marketing to legit consumers ~ that says more about your limited horizons than about the issue at hand. This is a problem all across publishing of all sorts of information, with similar debates in print publishing, music publishing, movie publishing, television publishing and software publishing, starting in the 1980's and in some field first coming to major prominence in the 1990's. Indeed, where is the anime company that has sued members of their audience for consuming bootleg copies, as the major US organization of music publishers has done? To date, except in Japan were copyright infringement as a consumer is a criminal offense and so a police matter, the actions taken by the anime publishers and distributors themselves have been against bootleg distribution.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, this particular distinction between "an independent company" and "when a company goes public" is quite daft. Closely held commercial corporations are somehow outside the capitalist system so they are pure, while publicly trade commercial corporations are filthy capitalists, so fans should scrupulously avoid doing anything that might make the publicly trade corporation better off as a side-effect of making things better for the creators of the works that they love?

Short answer: No
I will leave it at a short answer in order to prevent you sliding down a slope and injuring yourself any further.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

The anime industry is the only industry I can think of who would make a more of a point to blame the consumer for it's plummeting sales rather than taking a look at itself and try and find a way to get people to start buying again.

Ok, now I have to post a few more things...

First, anime is NOT the only one doing that. Music and movie companies have been doing it for years. To be honest, I`m not sure how well iTunes is even doing (I don`t follow the music industry), but I`ve always figure that for musicians, it`s easy even IF people download songs for free: they can still profit off concerts as an alternative. Something the anime industry can`t really do...

Movies have been doing different things too to try and more people into theatres and buy more physical copies (like the blu ray + DVD bundles). In theatres, 2010 showed TERRIBLE ticket sales I was just reading. Could it people nothing interesting was on, or did people just download it instead? Who knows... Although I do think movies had the advantage of 3D, something not everyone owns a tv/monitor of. Although it's gimmicky now, well, Avatar did make ALOT of money!

kakoishii wrote:

In my opinion the only way for the anime industry to survive is for the consumer to back off and let it die. I know that sounds incredibly backwards and wrong and many people will probably respond angrily towards me, which they are free to do, but in a business money is the only real language understood. If people continue to buy anime and thus the industry is able to keep going, no one will see a reason to make any real changes (and let's face it the anime industry is in dire need of real changes), on the other hand if they start losing money and end up on the brink of collapse maybe then they'll consider making real changes that will sustain the anime industry into a new era that might be a hell of a lot more profitable.

But they have been making changes Sad I mean, when Pioneer/Geneon died, it happened because they had some of the most expensive DVDs on the market! When FUNI rescued some of their titles, they stuck them in boxsets and sold them for ALOT lower than what Geneon originally sold them for.
Is this not doing something right? Their original flop was the prices (although they all had artwork inside the covers, nice inserts, and usually pencil boards).
The thing is, to sell something cheaper, you need to cut the budget on alot of it... But making cheaper sets isn't enough, apparently...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, anime is NOT the only one doing that. Music and movie companies have been doing it for years.

The finger pointing was aggressive for to start but that more or less ended because vilifying your customer base is not an effect way to etch your company into their hearts. Those industries since then have funded their own campaigns that focus on pointing out that not only do big stars and big companies feel the pain from illegal downloads so do John Doe Sound Engineer and Mary Jane Key Grip.

More importantly those were all efforts funded by those industries not fans. These anime fans don't have demographics, sales, or charts from the industry to indicate how effective their efforts are doing. So there is no way for these fans to measure there success rate and gauge whether or not the strength of their drives need to be tweaked. I don't even get what information they used to declare that anime needs to be kept alive.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="agila61"]
Sunday Silence wrote:

Second, if the anime industry is the only industry that you know of that is struggling with the problem of how to discourage bootleg consumption while marketing to legit consumers ~ that says more about your limited horizons than about the issue at hand.

don't be ridiculous, you've completely twisted my statement. I never said that the anime industry is the only industry I know of that struggles with bootlegging. That would be incredibly naive of me. I said that it's the only industry I know of that has put more of a focus on fixing the consumer rather than revolutionizing their business model. Pretty much any industry that sells a medium that can be reproduced and resold suffers the effects of bootlegging.
Sheleigha wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

The anime industry is the only industry I can think of who would make a more of a point to blame the consumer for it's plummeting sales rather than taking a look at itself and try and find a way to get people to start buying again.

Ok, now I have to post a few more things...

First, anime is NOT the only one doing that. Music and movie companies have been doing it for years. To be honest, I`m not sure how well iTunes is even doing (I don`t follow the music industry), but I`ve always figure that for musicians, it`s easy even IF people download songs for free: they can still profit off concerts as an alternative. Something the anime industry can`t really do...

Movies have been doing different things too to try and more people into theatres and buy more physical copies (like the blu ray + DVD bundles). In theatres, 2010 showed TERRIBLE ticket sales I was just reading. Could it people nothing interesting was on, or did people just download it instead? Who knows... Although I do think movies had the advantage of 3D, something not everyone owns a tv/monitor of. Although it's gimmicky now, well, Avatar did make ALOT of money!

kakoishii wrote:

In my opinion the only way for the anime industry to survive is for the consumer to back off and let it die. I know that sounds incredibly backwards and wrong and many people will probably respond angrily towards me, which they are free to do, but in a business money is the only real language understood. If people continue to buy anime and thus the industry is able to keep going, no one will see a reason to make any real changes (and let's face it the anime industry is in dire need of real changes), on the other hand if they start losing money and end up on the brink of collapse maybe then they'll consider making real changes that will sustain the anime industry into a new era that might be a hell of a lot more profitable.

But they have been making changes Sad I mean, when Pioneer/Geneon died, it happened because they had some of the most expensive DVDs on the market! When FUNI rescued some of their titles, they stuck them in boxsets and sold them for ALOT lower than what Geneon originally sold them for.
Is this not doing something right? Their original flop was the prices (although they all had artwork inside the covers, nice inserts, and usually pencil boards).
The thing is, to sell something cheaper, you need to cut the budget on alot of it... But making cheaper sets isn't enough, apparently...

I can't really say much for the movie and music industry because I don't know enough about them to make a strong enough statement about them; however, considering how well itunes has taken off I don't see how people buying their music digitally is hurting them too much.
As for the changes the industry has made, I'll agree with you that they are finally starting to make changes. Is it too little too late? Only time will tell, but fans taking it upon themselves to solely get the industry back to where it used to be isn't good enough. Hopefully the industry will continue to make more changes to adapt to the changing times and current poor economy.

Last edited by kakoishii on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:
It's still just taking off, so KAA can go different directions with this. But whatever they decide to do, I sure hope that having a central anime anti-piracy presence on the internet will help balance things out.
They've already taken off on YouTube, going from the kind of wave of clips that comes and goes on the site to an ongoing presence. The new site seems to be trying to take it to another level. What makes it of interest is that this is not just another "starting a web site hoping to get something started" venture, but a web site being launched by an already existing group.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
First, this particular distinction between "an independent company" and "when a company goes public" is quite daft. Closely held commercial corporations are somehow outside the capitalist system so they are pure, while publicly trade commercial corporations are filthy capitalists, so fans should scrupulously avoid doing anything that might make the publicly trade corporation better off as a side-effect of making things better for the creators of the works that they love?

Short answer: No
I will leave it at a short answer in order to prevent you sliding down a slope and injuring yourself any further.
I'm glad that you've retracted the claim that requires that absurd distinction, since the distinction you originally drew was quite absurd. No need to characterize it when the text speaks for itself:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I endorse fan advertisement via grass roots support of independent companies and products. When a company goes public then the rules of capitalism kick in; the business puts out product, the business showcases and brings the necessary attention to the product, and the business secures the future of the product. {emphasis added}

kakoishii wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Second, if the anime industry is the only industry that you know of that is struggling with the problem of how to discourage bootleg consumption while marketing to legit consumers ~ that says more about your limited horizons than about the issue at hand.

don't be ridiculous, you've completely twisted my statement. I never said that the anime industry is the only industry I know of that struggles with bootlegging. That would be incredibly naive of me. I said that it's the only industry I know of that has put more of a focus on fixing the consumer rather than revolutionizing their business model. Pretty much any industry that sells a medium that can be reproduced and resold suffers the effects of bootlegging.
Aha, I had understood you to be making a patently false claim about other publishers of other content, rather than making a patently false claim about publishers of anime content.

Of course, industries don't have business models ~ businesses do. In the anime industry, in the past three years, we have gone from basically no legit online near-simultaneous international distribution to the majority of the anime broadcast having legit online near-simultaneous international distribution. But only a minority of that is due to then existing legit distributors entering into near-simultaneous international distribution, and a majority of that is due to the establishment of a new business model by a business that was previously in the business of hosting bootlegs uploaded by members.

That pace of change compares quite favorably with the music industry shifting from a primarily anti-piracy focus to the establishment of the iTunes market.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I don't even get what information they used to declare that anime needs to be kept alive.
Could it be the information they get from watching it, and reading news reports of companies pulling out of the stock market, filing for bankruptcy, or just going under? Just a thought.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I don't even get what information they used to declare that anime needs to be kept alive.
Could it be the information they get from watching it, and reading news reports of companies pulling out of the stock market, filing for bankruptcy, or just going under? Just a thought.
From watching a few of the Youtube clips in question, that would indeed be the kind of information they used to declare that anime needs to be kept alive.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Unfortunately, I see this as a problem on both sides.

You have companies, publishers, and creators that vilify the consumer and alienate them to the point where it's almost turning into an insult, and Consumers who are hungry for product, yet aren't able to get them and resort to less than scrupulous means.

Where is this middle ground where both can co-exist in somewhat equal harmony?

Maybe consumers should:

1-Grow a pair

2-Just be willing to live with their "hunger" and wait a few months to a year for that content to become available legally (or buy what they like and wish to support it if they do acquire it illegally)

3-Not automatically feel insulted when someone says "Please don't take my stuff!". Like I said, grow a pair. When someone says, "We think there's a problem with piracy...", don't go, "But I DO buy stuff! You hate me, you hate me, WHAAAAAAA"

Except there are lots of shows that are impossibe to get because they have either gone OOP and are super expensive or because they never get licensed in the US.

Forgetting legality for a minute would most people on this board consider it morally acceptable to aquire fansubs of a show that does not have a US release and most likely never will? Especially if people throw away the fansubs if the show happens to get licensed?

What about a show like Cardcaptor Sakura where individual dvds can fetch $70+ for used copies? Where sales are no longer having any impact on US companies?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad that you've retracted the claim that requires that absurd distinction, since the distinction you originally drew was quite absurd. No need to characterize it when the text speaks for itself:

Will you please stop making stuff up. My opinion stands. The "no" was specifically to your question which was an amalgam of things I never said of tried to hint at.

You are purposefully are twisting words, ignoring points, acting obtuse, and playing around with semantics. I will not discuss or explain my opinions with you because it would just be me repeating the same points you refuse to acknowledge.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

About the music industry, they were suffering (and probably still are) because of illegal downloading from programs like Frostwire and Limewire (which just got shut down recently). iTunes is doing good IMO because alot of people do download from their site. And from my knowledge, Artists don't profit off of download and CD sales. They only profit off of concerts, which is why ALOT of bands go out during the summer to make alot of profit.

As far as the movie industry goes? That's another story. People don't go to theaters anymore because of rising ticket prices, and the addition of 3D movies don't help the ticket prices any. Then again, it doesn't seem to be hurting much if movies like Avatar can make so much money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
[quote="agila61"]
silver_deeds wrote:

Aha, I had understood you to be making a patently false claim about other publishers of other content, rather than making a patently false claim about publishers of anime content.

Of course, industries don't have business models ~ businesses do. In the anime industry, in the past three years, we have gone from basically no legit online near-simultaneous international distribution to the majority of the anime broadcast having legit online near-simultaneous international distribution. But only a minority of that is due to then existing legit distributors entering into near-simultaneous international distribution, and a majority of that is due to the establishment of a new business model by a business that was previously in the business of hosting bootlegs uploaded by members.

That pace of change compares quite favorably with the music industry shifting from a primarily anti-piracy focus to the establishment of the iTunes market.

yes and? none of this says how what I said was "patently false," all you did was drop some facts that are pretty commonly known. And the issue is? I'm not understanding what the continued hostility is for? I'm beginnng to think you're just the type of person who likes to wind people up considering your back and forth with ArsenicSteel, it's completely unnecessary.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
If they really wanted to support the anime industry they'd buy from Japan. Supporting companies like Funimation is not supporting anime.
Buying from Funimation et al still does a lot more than buying nothing at all.

And "putting dubs out of business" is a sure way to ensure that anime will never get the kind of mainstream popularity and sales that will bring its prices closer to those of domestic content.

On an entirely different note... I find it amusing that the site in question has the same acronym as a very well-known R1DVD-ripping group, of the "lol let's take English dubs out cause it's still 2003, nobody understands multi-stream files, and everybody has 160 GB HDDs and burns to CD-Rs" variety. Perhaps Keep Anime Alive aren't as familiar with their "enemies" as much as they should be?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Quote:

yes and? none of this says how what I said was "patently false," ...
You said: "I said that it's the only industry I know of that has put more of a focus on fixing the consumer rather than revolutionizing their business model."

Its made more rapid progress in revolutionizing its business model than many other similar industries at similar points in coping with a new means of distribution, and waited longer than most before getting started with getting serious about addressing copyright piracy.

Its certainly not made the most rapid progress in revolutionizing its business model nor has it put less of a focus on addressing copyright piracy than any other similar industry, but clearly the Music industry for one at a similar point in its evolution in the 90's put far more effort into fighting copyright piracy and dragged its feet far more than the anime industry has done in terms of revolutionizing its business model.

When the videotape record was developed in the 1970's, "Film and TV studios hated the device, and tried to litigate it out of existence, an effort that ended with a Supreme Court ruling that consumers were allowed to copy television shows for personal use. Of course, in the course of coping with losing in the Supreme Court, they proceeded to develop the new business model that ended up providing a substantial part of their income stream and in the end saved Hollywood from the decline it had been experiencing since the 1950's.

Indeed, that business model developed by Hollywood after they were forced to accept the legality of videotape recorders is the business model that they are struggling with replacing in an age of torrent downloads.

SonicRenegade84 wrote:
About the music industry, they were suffering (and probably still are) because of illegal downloading from programs like Frostwire and Limewire (which just got shut down recently). iTunes is doing good IMO because alot of people do download from their site. And from my knowledge, Artists don't profit off of download and CD sales. They only profit off of concerts, which is why ALOT of bands go out during the summer to make alot of profit.
Yes, from the 70's into the 90's, concerts were tools to push the sales of albums (first LP's then CD's). Now, recordings are once again tools to sell concert tickets.

And yes, only performance artists have that strategy available to them.

The challenge of iTunes for the record labels is that after getting used to selling an album of songs at a time, where often only a few of them were hits, they now have gone back to the electronic equivalent of selling singles ~ like back in the 50's and 60's ~ which is much less lucrative.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
You are purposefully are twisting words, ignoring points, acting obtuse, and playing around with semantics. I will not discuss or explain my opinions with you because it would just be me repeating the same points you refuse to acknowledge.
I do not know what other way there is to read the following words:
Quote:
I endorse fan advertisement via grass roots support of independent companies and products. When a company goes public then the rules of capitalism kick in; the business puts out product, the business showcases and brings the necessary attention to the product, and the business secures the future of the product.

"when a company goes public" means a formerly closely held commercial corporation that lists its shares on a share exchange. In this context, there's no other meaning to that phrase.

Before it went public, it was private.

As far as being an "independent company, sometimes a privately held company is independent and sometimes its a subsidiary, and sometimes a publicly traded company is independent and sometimes its a subsidiary, so making sense of the statement in terms of how being an independent company is before, and going public is hard.

But in any event, the statement is clearly saying that there is some type of business organization where that company is disqualified from being a legitimate recipient of fan support.

When the relevant question that I can see for whether a company is a legitimate recipient of fan support is whether that company is one of the sources of the income that goes to support the people who create the work itself. I don't see any other issue that makes a difference as far as "supporting the industry to support the works that the industry produces".

Now, all the R1 and R2 and R4 distributors are sources of income that go to support the people that create the work. All the Japanese broadcasters and merchandisers and media distributors are sources of income that go to support the people that create the work. All of the companies engaged in legit streaming are sources of income that go to support the people that create the work.

Given that, I don't see any basis for discriminating against this or that company based on whether it is a "independent" company or a "public" company. If it helps generate income for the creators, then they offer one avenue of support for those who want to see the creators continue to create.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
BigSpoon wrote:
If you buy your product you are not the one being "targeted". The people who download are the "thieves" so I don't know why you are saying this.
99% of the time, these two groups are one and the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11