• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old intro thread (and farewells).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hellow, everyone. Smile
I'm new here. I love anime and manga.
My fave list are SE Lain, Juuni Kouki, and mechas.
I've found many interesting informations and unusual topics in this forum which I still try to learn..
Nice to know you all ...
jenny^_^

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
hey! I've only just started to like anime and manga so I've only seen a limited selection (love hina, nge, flcl, cowboy bebop) and even then i haven't seen all of the episodes Sad Hellsing looks good tho! does anyone have any other suggestions?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that many of the newcomers to the anime world have something in common: they've been exposed only to the anime that are most popular and most available in the U.S.A. They're obviously eager to wander off the beaten track, and find some of the more obscure anime.

My advice is to stock up on the commonly available stuff first. Try to find and watch the classics. Look at the public lists of forum members whose tastes you trust and agree with, and see what they like. Read their comments, if they've written any.

Get to know the medium, learn what you like - and what you don't like. It took me a while to realise that, while I have no strong objections to them, giant armoured citythumper mechas don't really get me excited the way they do others. Similarly, my favourite subgenre of melancholy anime isn't necessarily something that everyone would like. So find your favourite style(s) of anime, and delve into it/them. As you learn more, your tastes will change and refine themselves.

But most of all, enjoy yourselves - this isn't a class assignment. There won't be a test afterwards. You don't need to bring an apple for the teacher. 然し 先生Pocky G 欲しい。 Wink

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
A good suggestion list for beginners. I also know there's a good website which has an anime recommendation database and will suggest other anime in similar genre that other netizens have agreed that "if you like A, you'd probably like B." However, since that site contains lots of fansubbing information I'm afraid that I can't post it here.

abunai wrote:
然し 先生Pocky G 欲しい。 Wink

Anyone wanna see abunai dye his hair pink?

最優先事項よ!(me raising both hands)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
然し 先生Pocky G 欲しい。 Wink

Anyone wanna see abunai dye his hair pink?

最優先事項よ!(me raising both hands)

Only one response is possible to that: ふふふふ! 面白いぞ! Laughing

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
keyz13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I never notice this topic before but I should've read it first when
I first sign up.........well better late than never. Halooo! everyone
I'm from Malaysia (most of you probably never heard of it) but I was born in Michigan way back in 1985. The first official anime that I watched was You're Under Arrest. I've been a fan since I was 13 (I think I watched anime before I was in grade school...oh well) Smile . My all time favourite anime has to be Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk and One Piece.

Oh and Ping wrote
Quote:
Dia duit!

Are you Malaysian coz you just wrote "you're money" in Malay.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
keyz13 wrote:
Oh and Ping wrote
Quote:
Dia duit!

Are you Malaysian coz you just wrote "you're money" in Malay.

Dia duit is a Gaelic greeting: "God to you". Sometimes seen as Dia is Muire duit, "God and Mary to you".

Oh, and welcome, keyz13. And wouldn't Dia duit in Malay be something more like: "he/she/they small change"?

Hmm. "Me big dollar, you small penny."

- abunai
keyz13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote
Quote:
And wouldn't Dia duit in Malay be something more like: "he/she/they small change"?

Hmm. "Me big dollar, you small penny."

Well I don't think so, "he/she/they small change"? in Malay is
'dia punya duit kecik' or 'kau punya duit kecik ke?'. Something like that.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:39 am Reply with quote
Those days in Russia probably frozed my mind, 'cause I'm lost in this Malaysian money thing, Very Happy. By the way,

Keyz13 wrote:
I'm from Malaysia (most of you probably never heard of it)

We live at the Earth, so we're able to have a good idea where that country is, and some of it's most famous things (I'd say, for example, Petronas Towers). However, I know, it's that country that makes Singapur looks really small...Haha. Opressors Wink.

Hum, well. I guess I shouldn't re-introduce myself, neither expect a Welcome (unless a Welcome back). Just wandering here, saying Welcome to all news and...er...ha, hope you enjoy this place Wink.

Last edited by Sarki-Kun on Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:21 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Keyz13 wrote:
I'm from Malaysia (most of you probably never heard of it)

We live in the Earth, so we're able to have a good idea where that country is, and some of it's most famous things (I'd say, for example, Petronas Towers). However, I know, it's that country that makes Singapur looks really small...Haha. Opressors Wink.

Actually I used to live in Singapore, and I've visited Malaysia. I suppose you could say I have a pretty good idea of where it is... Wink

Sarki-kun... "in the Earth"? I didn't know you were one of them? Wink

- abunai
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:09 am Reply with quote
Haha, I'm not, but I use to live under the Earth surface. I control a lot of things from my secret laboratory, haha Twisted Evil. Nah, sorry Embarassed . Problem fixed. Always there for some help, eh, Abunai? Thanks^^. However, I still can say that Spanish are Italians are supposed to be the worst europeans english speakers, hehe.

By the way, you're always saying you know this, you studied that, you like those, etc. Just one question...Do you read in Cyrilic? Rolling Eyes
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:35 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
By the way, you're always saying you know this, you studied that, you like those, etc. Just one question...Do you read in Cyrilic? Rolling Eyes

Нет. Smile

I can work out a text in Cyrillic script, given enough time, but my knowledge of the Slavic languages is not just riddled with lacunae - it is largely absent. It's one of those things that I'll probably get around to later. Right know, Germanic and Romance languages (and a single language sometimes attributed to the Altaic family, and sometimes to the Austronesian family) are the limit of my capacity. All other language families are strictly at the hobby level (which means, I know a lot of stock phrases, and some scattered other expressions, but that's about it. However, I can always be relied upon to know how to order beer and curse someone with specific reference to his uncouth sexual practices and dubious heritage).

And before anyone asks... no speakee tlhIngan Hol. Rolling Eyes

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:58 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

taH pagh taHbe'!

Well, before anime had become as popular as of today in US, you could find many hentai VHS in their conventions. I have no idea why, but it seems to have a long relationship with anime, and their fandom overlap a great deal too (myself included Embarassed ). Many Japanese manga-ka are their fan as well, most notably, Kousuke Fujishima.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

taH pagh taHbe'!

Well, before anime had become as popular as of today in US, you could find many hentai VHS in their conventions. I have no idea why, but it seems to have a long relationship with anime, and their fandom overlap a great deal too (myself included Embarassed ).

*cough, cough*

*taps microphone*

I would like to say, Mr. Chairman, that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Klingon. I thank the Committee for its time.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:04 am Reply with quote
Ahh, abunai, you just spoiled it! I wanna see how long does it take for someone else to recognize it! Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 101