• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
X/1999

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xberserkx

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it, and I thought it was truly amazing. I don't understand why so many people think it was bad, I thought every single concept about it was so great. The animation was amazing, the story was, I mean everything was. Can't wait to see the series now
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with it is that it was rushed. There wasn't nearly enough time for the story.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
My biggest problem with it is that it was rushed. There wasn't nearly enough time for the story.

Ya definately. While the movie was good the series is much better. And it doesn't rush.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The movie is an extremely stripped down version of the manga. It pushes every single character to the background except for Kamui, Fuuma, Hinoto, Kanoe, & Kotori, and even the parts revolving around those characters are rushed. In fact, they even wrote out one of the Chi no Ryuu altogether (Kakyou) & replaced him with some forgettable water user, and spoiler[killed Seishirou & Subaru off in the first five minutes (both being rather important to the original story).]

It's a good movie, but for the most part it's best enjoyed if you're already well-versed with the entire story and the characters whose development in the movie was reduced to less than zero (like Sorata & Arashii...).

The series is absolutely wonderful, however. I highly encourage you to check it out if you in any way enjoyed the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I really liked X/1999, too. It's kinda like David Lynch's Dune: It's an adaptation with amazing visuals, but makes no sense unless you're familiar with the original work. The difference is that (in my opinion) X has too weak of a story to entertain me for 15+ volumes of a comic book (or 26 episodes of a TV series), but good enough to entertain me for an hour and a half. Besides, I have a really low tolerance for angsty, brooding characters, so I don't really mind that Rin Taro cut the character development out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP did a funny thing with the replacement character/water user from the movie. They made him show up for a good amount of chapters in Tsubasa as a real good guy.

But yeah, I enjoy the X movie, but if that's all you've seen of X, prepare to be blown away. You have quite a treat ahead of you.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:13 am Reply with quote
IRC isnt the manga still going on in Japan?

yeah the Tv series is so much better then the movie. The movie felt really rushed as far as character development it assumed you know who this person was atleast it felt that way to me. Its been a while since I've seen the movie thu. I like the manga and the tv show alot better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:54 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
IRC isnt the manga still going on in Japan?

yeah the Tv series is so much better then the movie. The movie felt really rushed as far as character development it assumed you know who this person was atleast it felt that way to me. Its been a while since I've seen the movie thu. I like the manga and the tv show alot better.

The manga is still going in japan but it is at a standstill. Also what does IRC mean? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
The manga is still going in japan but it is at a standstill. Also what does IRC mean? Embarassed

Hopefully it won't be as large of a standstill as Clover. That thing hasn't been touched in years, yet they still say they're going to continue it. I love XXXholic and Tsubasa, but I really would like to see more X. Though if it's because they're at the end of the story, and are still debating how to end it, I completely understand and wish them to take their time with it.
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I will ever watch this movie again is because the awesomly awesome amounts of gore in it.

The visuals were nice sure.....but the dubbing was bad. Unlike some people, I like to watch dubs....and if they are bad...I just kinda say BAH to that.

The worst thing was the characters....specifically, there were none. I don't even think they said Kusanagi's name before he got the chop. I know it is a movie...but they could have made it a long movie and given some characters a little something important....it is called dialog, instead of them just going up and saying "Hey you are the bad guy, we must fight for the world..." 10 seconds later... "Ooops we both died, too bad you didn't know anything about us.

The series on the other hand was wonderful in all aspects. The dubbing is good, the animation is clean, the characters have a story. In fact, if I rememeber correctly, every character has at least one episode to show their past, and what not. I would take the series over the movie anyday.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:

Also what does IRC mean? Embarassed
in this instance IRC = If I remember correctly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Animefreak08 wrote:

Also what does IRC mean? Embarassed
in this instance IRC = If I remember correctly

That confuses the heck out of me when I read it beause I'm so used to IRC= internet relay chat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1