• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Show your support for Song of the South!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Check out the poll at http://www.savedisney.com/:

Which of the following statements most reflects your feelings?

CURRENT RESULTS | ARCHIVE

I would definitely buy Song of the South on video.

I might not buy Song of the South on video, but would likely rent it.

I would not buy or rent Song of the South on video, but I feel artistic works should remain openly available.

I would not buy Song of the South on video, I feel dated works should be withheld.

I don't care either way.

[Too off topic. -t]
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Not as long as Eisner's in control. Despite assurances and support from the NAACP and prominent black actors like James Earl Jones, Sydney Poiter and Danny Glover, he still believes it's offensive and won't ever be released again on his watch
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this was a great movie. It has one of the best Disney songs ever; Zip-a-doo-dah! And everyone loves the Uncle Remus Stories. Being from Georgia and reading Joel Chandler Harris growing up, it is a travesty that this isn't already out. Most people wouldn't know it it existed if it wasn't for those Sing-A-Long tapes with the songs on them.

Come on, Disney. I want to give youi $20 bucks for it.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I know... it's this world of PC that somehow makes them think that for some reason it shouldn't be released. At the same time, it's obvious that it has the support and people willing to buy it. It just goes to show how short-sighted Eisner is now and why he needs to step down and let some different blood come in and revitalize the company. After all, he'll still be rich beyond wild imagination, so it's not like he's really going to lose much of anything.

I think he's somehow blind to the concept that he still is respected by people. The fact is, you can't really lose what you no longer have. I know that's a bit harsh of me to say, but the longer he holds out in stepping down, the more respect he loses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That would be stupid not to show some recognition for Song of the South, considering that one of Disney World's most popular rides, Splash Mountain, is based on it. As we all know, Disney is now making new movies to promote their themepark rides Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.). Yet they won't even release an older video movie, which would cost much less yet also tie into a a ride (they need to do anything they can in this economy)?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Internet

Petitions

don't

work.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
While I am inclined to agree with you in general when it comes to internet petitions here, I'm more inclined to give some creedence to Roy Disney's website here. This isn't the standard "let's make a petition at petitionsonline.com" here. This is at least a man who still has some recognition and influence to some extent. If he's creating the petition, it's not much different than when Animeigo did the petitions for future releases. While it may not ultimately define the direction of the company or guarantee a release of something, I do believe it helps in the future planning of what a company may do.

I'm hopeful that he can accomplish something, even though his influence is limited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I recall, perhaps less than 10 years ago, hearing that the major companies were never intending to release their WW2 cartoons officially..

And yet this exists, thanks to the interest shown.

Obviously the companies are taking drastic steps to distance themselves from the past, due to changes in society... but I think it's important to see these works because they're representative of the society that produced them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1