• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Venus Versus Virus have a story?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpectrumDT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Hello.

I am interested in the anime Venus Versus Virus. I have watched some episodes and like them, so I am considering buying the DVDs.

But I am wondering one thing: To what extent does it have a story?

Now, some series are very much centered around an ongoing story (or "arc") and has every episode be an integral part that advances the main conflict. Other series are "monster of the week" (or "general issue of the week") based, where the episodes are mostly independent of each other and with little or no development between episodes. Yet other series are a mix of both.

This is a matter of taste, of course, but I by far prefer series that focus heavily on an ongoing story. "Monster of the week" series (especially the ones where "status quo is God") tend to make me quickly lose interest.

I have searched for reviews of Venus Versus Virus, but all those I have found deal only with the first DVD, not the series as a whole. So, is there anyone who has watched it and can tell me: To what extent does Venus Versus Virus have a story?

Thanks in advance.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes you should just use wikipedia. But if you're lazy it's basically this. Quiet type girl gets powers and doesn't know how to use them sempai type girl begins to show her and takes a liking to her this their partnership begins add in recycled characters from ever other show like this a couple of monsters and there you go venus versus virus. It does have a story but not a very good one IMO and it does get repetitive . On the other hand after the haruhi craze some people probably bought it because they were newly initiated Minori chihara fanboys/girls (She's great but I don't think this is her best.) Also it claims to have yuri undertones which I didn't see very much but then again I didn't finish it. It does have good animation though and the theme is ok.
SpectrumDT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Yes you should just use wikipedia. But if you're lazy it's basically this.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was not being lazy. I had done my research before posting. Wikipedia's five-lines-resume does not answer my question of whether it's arc-based or MOTW-based.

Quiet type girl gets powers and doesn't know how to use them sempai type girl begins to show her and takes a liking to her this their partnership begins add in recycled characters from ever other show like this a couple of monsters and there you go venus versus virus. It does have a story but not a very good one IMO and it does get repetitive .

All right. Thanks. That was what I needed to know. (You didn't have to summarize the basic concept. I have seen a few episodes.)

On the other hand after the haruhi craze some people probably bought it because they were newly initiated Minori chihara fanboys/girls (She's great but I don't think this is her best.) Also it claims to have yuri undertones which I didn't see very much but then again I didn't finish it. It does have good animation though and the theme is ok.

Yes, I did notice that half of the reviews spent more time debating whether the show is yuri or not than describing what actually goes on. (The consensus leans toward "not".) Many people bash it for the lack of originality. I don't think I am quite old and bitter enough as an anime viewer to hate it for this.

I dunno. Maybe I'll buy it. Maybe I won't.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it but many reviews I have read say that the manga is much better than the anime. I've also heard the anime's ending isn't that good. I did hear the manga has good artwork and plently of yuri subtext.
archaron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I bought the series when first came out. Its not bad, but unless your getting it at good deal I would not go out of my way for it. It was entertaining though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1