• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Angel Sanctuary OVA.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanBum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who felt that the OAV seemed like a commercial of sorts for the manga? It was good and everything, but it still left many questions unanswered (purposefully, I think) and if you notice after the credits roll in the final episode it says GAME OVER and below that CONTINUE in a video game format like you can end it or keep going.

To me this made me feel like the sole purpose they made the anime was to get people interested in the story enough to buy the manga volumes.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the OAVs bsed on manga from around then are 'unfinished'... Dragon Half, Shinesman, Earthian all come to mind. (Twin Signal did the smart thing and created a self-contained story using a small fraction of the cast.)

I've always assumed it was a case of 'these didn't sell well enough to make it worth financing any more, so we're pulling the plug' kinda thing. I'd like to say, with the upcoming re-release of AS by Media Blasters, we could see a resurgence of interest and a new production made with the US market in mind... but they tried that with Hellsing, and look how well that worked out. Razz
blackmage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
To me this made me feel like the sole purpose they made the anime was to get people interested in the story enough to buy the manga volumes.

I think so too. After what happened at the end I couldn't get my mind off this series. In the end I had to buy the manga to know what happened.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
Am I the only one who felt that the OAV seemed like a commercial of sorts for the manga? It was good and everything, but it still left many questions unanswered (purposefully, I think) and if you notice after the credits roll in the final episode it says GAME OVER and below that CONTINUE in a video game format like you can end it or keep going.

The whole GAME OVER OR CONTINUE? was also part of the manga, so it's hard to fault the anime for that. It was something like an infection for the world through a vidoe game, it didn't end up being a big plot point really. Yeah, it wasn't a great anime, but it wasn't made for the sole purpose of selling manga from what I have seen and read. As said already, lots of anime are left unfinished, and this is just one more.
UKfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I watched the OVA and loved the idea so much that I went out and purchased the 20 volume manga series. The OVA definitely works as an advertisement for the manga which is absolutely awesome.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and then watched the OVA, and quickly understand that the OVA was a promo for the manga. Usually you would see these kinds of things, then again from what anime I've seen they usually end in a hanger that makes you want to find out what really happens or they completely change the storyline and leave manga fans frustrated. Reading the manga would be strongly suggested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1