• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why post here or on other forums?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I go to forums to see what people say on a certain subject. Does that answer any question asked in the beginning of this thread?

There are two other forums I am most active in. I go to CBR which is a comic book site. Then the other one is an asian site based on a certain genre of music which the name escapes me right now (I know it starts with an S). If you happen to go to those sites too then you're welcome to let me know. I go to them because they have a lot of sections to go to and I am able to share any thoughts that come up to me on many things.

I go to other anime sites too but I'm not really that active on them. I used to go to a few other anime forums but my interest in posting in them have dwindled down.

I post here because it feels like being with the pros around here. I mean you have to prove yourself and what is behind your reasoning when you claim an opinion on something. The staff here makes sure that this gets to a good quality. Something that some of the other anime forums can make me less inspired to do.

[EDIT: Since the original thread was reported as being "old," I just decided to split the resurrected posts and make a new thread entirely. -TK]
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
I post on a lot of anime forums because I really like to see the different viewpoints of different communities and read as much as I can about shows I really enjoy.

I started off posting on Animeboards back in 2001 which was a very Eva centric community at the time and while it's on life support now I do have 6000+ posts racked up on it.

The next forum I signed up on was AOD in 2001, I posted quite a bit on AOD since it was the site for Anime DVDs, I still post there atm but I think my post count was higher before the forum reset than it is now.

After that I joined Animenation in 2002 and I still post their to this day quite regularly. Post count is at 2000+ but they do delete a lot of old threads sadly so I think my true post count their would be in excess of 5000. It was a similar site to Animeboards just with a lot more traffic.

Than I signed up here late 02 but until this year I think I had 5 posts in total and mainly just lurked here. The talkback forum provides a lot of nice discussion on the latest news and there is a lot of nice threads in this section too.

Than I joined up with that bit torrent site everyone knows about (I think I'm looked at that listing twice and used it once... I've always been an IRC user...) around halfway through last year because I had got hooked on the Claymore anime+manga at the time and it was the best place to discuss it. It's pretty much "the" place to discuss fan subs for guys like Livejournal is for girls so i don't see myself stopping posting there anytime soon. The community has a lot of morons but there is a lot of quality posters there as well. Also I haven't seen a better English forum for keeping up to date with the latest anime announcements.

Last forum I post at is MyAnimeList which is pretty much just a side dish compared to the main attraction of that site which is the Listing feature.

Now like I said before I post at all these forums because I like to see different opinions and generally one place will be real good for all those crimnally underrated shows that get ignored by people.

Even though I said that bit torrent place was "the" place for fansubs discussion surprisingly AnimeOnDvd had the best Baccano! discussion thread by far while it aired. Of course for Seirei no Moribito that site held it down and had a great discussion thread. Those 2 shows which I feel are among the best of the year where pretty much ignored on this site...
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Even though I said that bit torrent place was "the" place for fansubs discussion surprisingly AnimeOnDvd had the best Baccano! discussion thread by far while it aired. Of course for Seirei no Moribito that site held it down and had a great discussion thread. Those 2 shows which I feel are among the best of the year where pretty much ignored on this site...

To be fair, despite the high viewing traffic and member count the site actually has a pretty low number of regular posters. And of said number of regular posters only a fraction of those follow a variety of fansubbed series regularly...and even then, only a fraction of those share your and my tastes. So the site isn't going to generate the greatest Baccano! thread ever.

I think I notice the same friendly faces in the ef thread, the Baccano! thread, the Mononoke thread, the Seirei no Morobito thread, etc.

As for my posting habits. I have a 3000+ post count in a game fansite completely unrelated to anime and anime-related activities. It's my "home" so to speak, since that's where I engage in most off-topic discussions and the like. Here I post semi-regularly depending on my mood and available time. And I've just joined up with said torrent-listing website-that-cannot-be-named not too long ago. Just look for a new guy with the Mononoke icon (no, not the moderator) in the Introduction thread if anyone's wondering who I am over there.

Westlo's right. There really is a wide range of posters over there, from those people who rate every crappy otaku-oriented show as 10/10 to Naruto fans that only spend time on the Naruto board and some older fans with tastes closer to mine, as well as a smattering of pretentious artisté just to spice up the site. Smile

Aside from that, I do have some posts in some other forums, though none regularly.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Westlo's right. There really is a wide range of posters over there, from those people who rate every crappy otaku-oriented show as 10/10 to Naruto fans that only spend time on the Naruto board and some older fans with tastes closer to mine, as well as a smattering of pretentious artisté just to spice up the site. Smile

Yeah, it perplexes me as to how such diversity can exist in one place. It's not everyday you can find a forum where you can read the best, deepest, and most insightful discussion on say, ef, that you've ever seen, and then there's a legion of "ZOMG where naruto 623!!!????" rabid fanboys in the very next subfora.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I've only joined very few forums. First, I mostly jumped minor (stupid) forums because... I dunno. I can't seem to come up with a reason for that, but my "official" first forum was ANN's.

Basically, I grew up on these forums. It's hard to enforce the same techniques on other forums, like my former club's -- which is virtually non-existent right now -- and it's hard for me to find better discussion anywhere else. Like frentymon said, there's so much diversity.

But between this one and ANN fan forums, that's pretty much it. The people are great and easy to talk to, and people know their stuff. Some discussions are insightful, some fun, some irritating... it's just overall a great way for anime fans to get together.

I've recently joined AoD's forums. At first, I lurked a bit to get used to their "ways" but I've posted a decent amount so far. It's easy to find me if you know who my favorite (anime) artist is... Wink

Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
To be fair, despite the high viewing traffic and member count the site actually has a pretty low number of regular posters.

I plan on being a regular once I get used to posting. It's going to take a while because I haven't joined such a large forum since ANN. At least you can add another to the group that "shares your interests."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I've recently joined AoD's forums. At first, I lurked a bit to get used to their "ways" but I've posted a decent amount so far. It's easy to find me if you know who my favorite (anime) artist is... :wink:

When I first posted on AOD in 2001/02 I really hated the way they did the forums but right now I love it since you can have as many sub threads in a thread as you want. If I don't spoiler tag something here or on another forum its generally because I've been spoiled by AODs forums.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
If I'm in the mood to say something -- which is almost daily -- then I will flat out say something.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
There is another forum (not anime related) I joined a few years ago that I post on regularily and have close to 6000 posts. I started posting on this forum because my interest in anime grew and I was already checking here regularly for news. I like the fact that the community is generally more mature than what you usually come across on most forums, however, I do wish there was an an offtopic section since that allows members to converse about a wider variety of subjects even if some of them have nothing to do with anime.
riccardo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I have been a regular at other posting boards for my interests in sports, so it wasn't a big jump to posting about anime, which I don't get to talk about much as there aren't that many anime fans that I know.

Its good to get others perspectives and I can ask questions too, as the release schedule in the USA usually impacts over here, as well.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I like information exchange. I don't like "chatting" in forums. Why do people have over 1000 posts in less than a year?

/At one point, this forum and Facebook was the only place I wrote English~ ^^v
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
who cares. EDIT: Original post deleted for being a pointless one-liner. ~Zalis]

If it doesn't matter to you, then don't post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN has been criticized in the past for having trigger happy moderators. I for one like ANN over the other forums since the forums are moderated. Lists with no descriptions, grammar that is beyond recognition, and posts that don't contribute to intellectual discussion annoy me on other forums. I have seen some other forums where a good portion of the threads were "would X or Y win in a fight?" followed by many one or two word replies.

I love the articles at AnimeonDVD and find Chirs' numerous reviews are the closest to my tastes and focus on the A/V qualities of the releases. When it comes to forums, ANN has the best moderators.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the mods here are pretty strict, but it is a good thing and necessary to maintain the integrity of the forum (I pretty much hate on AIM slang). Plus, the mods are never mean when they lock stuff Smile

I'm not a big online poster; in fact, ANN was my second forum ever, and the first was totally unrelated to anime. I kind of started out in this other forum with a fervor for a few weeks and tapered off, so I am very impressed that I'm entering my 10th month here (holy geez has it really been that long?!?! I know it's nothing compared to some people here, but for me it's a personal best. see? I am capable of committment Razz

anyways, why ANN? Simply because I love the community, and feel like I absorb all this stuff from the aforementioned pros. And nobody I know really has my appreciation for anime, so here I can really vent or say what I think and people won't look at me like I'm nuts.

anyways, I hope to be around for a long time.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
When i first started reading ANN, it was one of the only English sites for anime, that also had reviews and news section. I didn't register for a very long time, and think i ended up registering when i did because there was a contest.

I post more regularly then i use to, but still less then many others.
rainbowcrescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
Well I'm kind of new to forums but out of all the forums that I checked out I like ANN the best because of the intelligent discussions (courtesy of the strict yet substantial mods and the other posters who really know their stuff) that goes on here unlike on most forums I've seen (because other forums doesn't have substantial discussions at all or if they do it is very minimal). I feel comfortable posting here and it really feels good to voice out my opinions with people who are well informed with what I'm talking about. It’s also nice to see other people's comments and opinions. In other words, to have an intelligent discussion with people who share the same interest with me gives my inner geek a sense of fulfillment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3