• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Game Freak's Teraleak

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised large swathes of the TeraLeak turned out to be bullshit. Seriously, come back to me when they're not translated by a bunch of weirdos with an axe to grind for one reason or another.

As for BamCo, YEESH. I was wondering when things would hit the Japanese games industry, but it looks like we're getting there. I'm sure it won't hit them as hard as America where things have been a bloodbath but I expect things to tighten a bit. At some point we have to be honest about the industry: we have hit a plateau and we need to stop chasing "bigger and better." The next few years need to be about stabilization. Like Shawn Layden, formerly of Playstation, was saying, we need a reset. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/former-playstation-exec-says-console-arms-race-has-plateaued/
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I'm not sure what making your own Pokémon Z with blackjack and sex workers

Oddly specific reference. Not that I’m complaining given the stuff that winds up being sold on digital storefronts nowadays.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oddly specific reference. Not that I’m complaining given the stuff that winds up being sold on digital storefronts nowadays.

I see "blackjack and hookers" used all the time. I don't think any Futurama or Simpsons reference would be "oddly specific" given how popular they are.

I imagine the source code could be very useful to romhackers and the community of fangames. I generally stick with Gen 2 and 3 romhacks since they're my favorite but if there's actual source code for the DS and 3DS games then that sounds like a huge gamechanger that could yield a lot of potential and make things easier. All you have to do is not be dumb and try to paywall it behind a Patreon or something which is when Nintendo goes after them
Honesty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's zero-for-two on American fans going into a tizzy over machine-translated works taking stuff out of context, between Pokémon and the interview with Kazuhiko Torashima and Yuji Horii from a few weeks ago.

Actually, that interview was relatively faithfully translated. The important points anyway.
Likewise, the improved translation and context of the Pokémon folktales don't really change anything - they still contain interspecies breeding. Unfunny though the jokes about it are, they certainly still have a basis.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
but I'm not sure what making your own Pokémon Z with blackjack and sex workers

Naw, it's not pointed at anyone specific, there were just a lot of modders and fam-devs itching at the opportunity to get their hands on the X/Y source code. Imagine lining up for the chance to complain about being sent a C&D.

Honesty wrote:
Quote:
That's zero-for-two on American fans going into a tizzy over machine-translated works taking stuff out of context, between Pokémon and the interview with Kazuhiko Torashima and Yuji Horii from a few weeks ago.

Actually, that interview was relatively faithfully translated. The important points anyway.
Likewise, the improved translation and context of the Pokémon folktales don't really change anything - they still contain interspecies breeding. Unfunny though the jokes about it are, they certainly still have a basis.

Youre zero-for-two there; the interview was so "accuate" that the people who held the interview had to officially put up a stement asking folks to stop twisting words and stop taking the interview out of context. Likewise, the folk tales weren't as sordid as the machine TL made them out to be (and aren't even canon to begin with, given that they were removed).

This will not become a running argument in this thread, if you're here to argue over the Dragon Quest interview then you created a brand new account for nothing. That line of discussion is officially over.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how closely all the various parts of Bandai Namco Holdings interconnect, but a wide view of the company seems to indicate there's a lot of bad happening. I don't know if this is all based on a singular vision or just lots of bad decisions happening it once. It's not great either way.

Purely speculative, but is it possible that Bandai's going to be selling off a piece(s) of their gaming division to try and make some quick, easy money? It would almost certainly be quicker and easier than making a game in this climate.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I don't know how closely all the various parts of Bandai Namco Holdings interconnect, but a wide view of the company seems to indicate there's a lot of bad happening. I don't know if this is all based on a singular vision or just lots of bad decisions happening it once. It's not great either way.

Purely speculative, but is it possible that Bandai's going to be selling off a piece(s) of their gaming division to try and make some quick, easy money? It would almost certainly be quicker and easier than making a game in this climate.

I saw someone joke about the possibility of Bandai Namco separating into just Bandai and Namco again; don't know how feasible that is these days, but it would be interesting to see if downsizing like that helped them each gain a better grasp on their own management.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Naw, it's not pointed at anyone specific, there were just a lot of modders and fam-devs itching at the opportunity to get their hands on the X/Y source code. Imagine lining up for the chance to complain about being sent a C&D.

oilers2007 wrote:
I see "blackjack and hookers" used all the time. I don't think any Futurama or Simpsons reference would be "oddly specific" given how popular they are.

I thought it was taking shots at all these games involving players. Playing Blackjack,Solitaire, Mahjong etc featuring anime characters. That are almost always on sale on PSN and the Xbox Store,

Mea culpa
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1