• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Macross Frontier Anime Series Review

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor_Arashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of my only significant criticisms about Macross Frontier (TV) is in regards to the resolution of its central love triangle – it doesn't have one.

Sure it does! Alto chose the only thing he truly loves, the sky. He goes flying off and leaves the two girls sitting on the ground watching. Sheryl and Ranka have to settle for each other. It's better for all involved, honestly, he doesn't deserve either of them!
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
Sailor_Arashi wrote:
Quote:
One of my only significant criticisms about Macross Frontier (TV) is in regards to the resolution of its central love triangle – it doesn't have one.

Sure it does! Alto chose the only thing he truly loves, the sky. He goes flying off and leaves the two girls sitting on the ground watching. Sheryl and Ranka have to settle for each other. It's better for all involved, honestly, he doesn't deserve either of them!

I heard the movies were different.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
viewers must be willing to buy into the outlandish concept that cynically manufactured pop will one day have the power to save humanity from marauding alien forces

Yeah, deculture is what ended up losing me in high school and even more in college when I studied Asian pop culture.

There's a lot to like in the franchise as a whole, but the above is probably why I gravitate towards Plus than some of the other Macrosseses (aside from, y'know, Plus being really good.)
Sailor_Arashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

I heard the movies were different.

The movies are very different, yes. They follow the same basic plot. Colony fleet. Space bugs. Singing. Love triangle. But a lot of the characters play different roles and events play out very differently.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Sailor_Arashi wrote:
Quote:

Lmaoooo honestly, but it sure does make 25 episodes of whacky Love Triangle shenanigans feel extra silly!

This was my first ever Macross series! And BOY what a hell of a show to start with, I checked it out wayyy back through fansubs as a Gundam fan who was curious what these mechs in the Super Robot Wars games were all about, and to hear what the heck Yuichi Nakamura could possibly sound like as a character that was the furthest thing away from Graham Aker. Had an absolutely wild time, and discovered that a man famous for voicing 99% extremely cool characters (his words) did once upon a time voice extremely lame characters like Alto too hahaha. Unlike the reviewer I kinda love Alto, in a I'd shove this dumb nerd into a locker (affectionate) kinda way. Apparently he actually is quite popular with women in Japan though, and he did top male character popularity polls alongside the usual Sunrise boys (Kira, Lelouch etc), so there's definitely a method to the madness with him.
Also wow a rare Ranka Lee enjoyer! I feel like back in the day, on the internet outside Japan anyway, everyone just immediately fell for Sheryl's confident, effortless charms (I know I did), and most people just called Ranka the ugly duckling of the show that never really became a swan. But these days I feel like it's easy to see the appeal of both of them and how good they are together as well.

I love the passionate review, and I agree this series is absolutely a wild, great, fun time, and it's such a damn shame they didn't dub it because god if it was done right it'd be SO incredible, even if majority of the music stayed in Japanese (licensing costs if nothing else). But I'm glad to see it slowly make it's way to being more accessible to people that aren't just die hard anime fansub followers.
CamiChan19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I was always a Ranka-girlie, and I agree, Sheryl & Ranka deserve to be girlfriends.
As someone else also alluded too, I do recall the movie resolving the love-triangle with a decision, but it felt sudden back when I watched it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I was prepared for violence if the music was rated at anything less than an A+. Truly, Frontier represents some of Yoko Kanno's very best work. (Not that she's ever failed to impress.

Sailor_Arashi wrote:
It's better for all involved, honestly, he doesn't deserve either of them!

Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a single love triangle in fiction where this isn't the case.

As for the movies, I guess they do resolve things a bit better... but the movies' ending has its own issues, too.

Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
viewers must be willing to buy into the outlandish concept that cynically manufactured pop will one day have the power to save humanity from marauding alien forces

Yeah, deculture is what ended up losing me in high school and even more in college when I studied Asian pop culture.

I think that's a pretty disingenuous way of framing it. It's not "manufactured pop music," that "saves humanity," but just... music. Or, more broadly, culture in general. SDFM is effectively a reimagining of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds, replacing ultimate plot device that enables mankind's survival with something more plausible. This is the element that really elevates the original anime over its successors, conceptually, as they all veer off into... weirder directions, making the mythology of the series more and more idiosyncratic. But original the concept of de culture had nothing to do with any of the metaphysical guff that followed.
Sailor_Arashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a single love triangle in fiction where this isn't the case.

The original, IMHO. Hikaru isn't indecisive so much as he keeps trying to decide but his first choice keeps stringing him along until he finally sees the light that is Misa.

Also Kimagure Orange Road, because Hikaru is annoying Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:

Also wow a rare Ranka Lee enjoyer! I feel like back in the day, on the internet outside Japan anyway, everyone just immediately fell for Sheryl's confident, effortless charms (I know I did), and most people just called Ranka the ugly duckling of the show that never really became a swan. But these days I feel like it's easy to see the appeal of both of them and how good they are together as well.

This also mirrors the fandom for the original series where for years American fans despised Minmay and preferred Misa while Minmay was always more popular in Japan but Minmay has definitely become more loved by American fans in recent years and more fans nowadays seem to hate Hikaru.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:59 pm Reply with quote
If you ask me, Klan is as much a Best Girl as Sheryl and Ranka.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly convinced that the reason why it still isn't streaming in the US is that Sony got the streaming license from RightStuf after Sony's hostile takeover of the company. Sony clearly has shown that they don't really care anime properties that aren't as big (hence why so many Funi releases going out of print and there's no new Blu Ray releases in sight for like 90% of them). Disney probably would need to deal with Sony for it (and for Delta) and Sony probably wouldn't give their competitor even something that they consider to be "scrap".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I'm honestly convinced that the reason why it still isn't streaming in the US is that Sony got the streaming license from RightStuf after Sony's hostile takeover of the company. Sony clearly has shown that they don't really care anime properties that aren't as big (hence why so many Funi releases going out of print and there's no new Blu Ray releases in sight for like 90% of them). Disney probably would need to deal with Sony for it (and for Delta) and Sony probably wouldn't give their competitor even something that they consider to be "scrap".

Nice try, but the news of Disney+ streaming all of Macross (minus SDF & DYRL?) stated that it was for "worldwide" & that "Disney+ will be the only video distribution platform where all the titles will be available at once".

As for why it's taking so long for the US to have these shows added, who knows... but I highly doubt that Sony has anything to do with it, since if Sony had these shows for streaming then they would have just shoved them out via Crunchyroll already. Also, the initial announcements from Right Stuf/Nozomi for 7, Frontier, & Delta only ever stated that they were for "home video release", with streaming not brought up at all, so that's all Sony would have acquired after purchasing Right Stuf & Nozomi.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's 2059, and the 25th New Macross-class Colonial Fleet

One thing this review doesn't mention is that Frontier was a 25th anniversary project for Macross, and they snuck in the number 25 in a number of places -- the bolded number, the episode count, the year being 25*2 years after SDF Macross, Ranka being 25% Zentradi. Maybe more I'm forgetting.

My birthday is March 25, so for my golden birthday, I decided to start watching Frontier, having only seen episode 1 back when it was new. And because I liked the idea of taking it one step further, I watched it in five chunks of sqrt(25) episodes.
transentient

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It was fairly obvious that Sheryl and Ranka agreed to work out a polycule dynamic at the end.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
It's 2059, and the 25th New Macross-class Colonial Fleet

One thing this review doesn't mention is that Frontier was a 25th anniversary project for Macross, and they snuck in the number 25 in a number of places -- the bolded number, the episode count, the year being 25*2 years after SDF Macross, Ranka being 25% Zentradi. Maybe more I'm forgetting.

The heroes pilot the VF-25 and the show aired at 1:25 AM, which shows up as 25:25 because Japanese TV has this weird things. Also, the Macross Quarter, which as the name indicates is a quarter of the size of a normal Macross-class ship. As with Ranka, one quarter = 25%.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2