• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nicholas Dupree - In Memoriam

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hello, everyone; thank you all for reading and supporting Nick's writing over the last seven years. I want to make sure, out of respect for Nick, his family, and his colleagues, that we do not engage is speculation regarding the circumstances of his death in this thread. This is the place to share memories of how his work and presence affected you.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Died at 31. That is a young age to pass away.

My condolences to everyone.
#TuffleShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Ex-Arms stop being funny to watch episode 3. Nick made the experience of watching it great because his reviews were just this thrilling guessing game of what to expect next. He leaves us with so much life left behind and so much life left to live. I'm grateful to have had a chance to experience his sense of humour through this site and I am even more grateful for the laughs he has provided over the years. Rest in peace
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for all your efforts on ANN Nick. Much respect was had for your work. Rest in peace.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If I had to pick a favorite ANN reviewer under pressure, it'd still be a tough call, but even so, Nick easily makes the top three. He will be missed greatly. R.I.P.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:05 pm Reply with quote
NO, NO, NO, NO...this can't have happened~~The Commander-In-Chief of the Ex-Army and the most funny and creative member of the ANN staff Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I can't imagine an ANN without him...Definitely doing the Go Fund Me...
MemoBookworm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm really sad right now. I'm not sure I ever interacted directly with Nick but I've been around him in various online spaces for over a decade. Heck I think I found ANN in the first place through his twitter. I didn't always share his tastes but his enthusiasm for various series is what got me to try a lot of them in the first place, and I always enjoyed reading his writing. I was just thinking the other day that I was looking forward to his reviews of the new 100 Girlfriends season. It's so hard to accept that this is real.
Duck Du Normandie
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This is heartbreaking news.

I never met Nick, and only knew him through his contributions to ANN, but those contributions were always a highlight of my week. Even if I wasn't watching the show, I would still often read his episode reviews because they were always thoughtful, hilarious, irreverent, and insightful, often all at the same time. When I saw his name at the top of TWIA, I would make sure to wait until I had time to read it uninterrupted and somewhere where I could laugh-snort with abandon.

His friends and family have my most heartfelt sympathies. His loss will be felt by all who were lucky enough to have had him touch their lives. Even if only by reading his articles here, he was a positive light in our lives.
He will truly be missed.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
im far from the emotional type, and it's not like i knew him very well, i only ever interacted with him on twitter, but still, hearing of his passing filled me with...a bit of an empty feeling for a little while. hard to describe

easily one of the most compelling writers for the site, at it's best genuinely poignant, and i sometimes read his reviews even if it was for a show i never even started. his writing was that engaging.

i was genuinely quite excited to hear what some of his thoughts on a few of the anime premiering in the fall season that i was also looking forward to. very upsetting that ill never get to see them Sad(

huge condolences to his friends and loved ones
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
So sorry to his family and to the staff of ANN for this loss R.I.P
texnixmir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing all of you and his family the best
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Waking up to the news of Nick’s passing is absolutely heartbreaking and fills me with sadness. I can’t imagine ANN without him. He was such an inspiration. He will be immensely missed. My condolences to your family and friends. You were taken entirely too soon. RIP, Nick.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This is just so heartbreaking. What in the world happened to him? 31 is way too young to die. So sorry for his loss, and my condolences to his family. Crying or Very sad
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
This is horrible news to hear. I didn't always see eye-to-eye with Nick on his write-ups, but this is quite shocking for me to hear. And at only 31. Rest in peace Nick and condolences to his loved ones.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have no words. I didn't watch eX-Arm but I loved reading his reviews and the way he mic-dropped the finale review was fantastic. I mostly knew him through his TWiA contributions, and hearing of his passing breaks my heart.

RIP; my thoughts are with his family and co-workers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5