• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silent Hill 2 Remake Game's Trailer Previews Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
That seeeeems fairly close to the original. Is it just me, or is it definitely hitting something with the "uncanny valley"? There's a very doll-like robotic bit of body language from some of the characters (and they're not necessarily supposed to be that way) that I'm catching, and there's a couple moments in that trailer where I could almost swear an Ai is animating the characters or doing the voiceover....

Mind you, this is based off of a PS2 game and as old as the original is, it's got some janky PS2 quirks to it but.... for its time, it didn't have noticeable uncanny valley problems. I just can't put my finger on it.... I'm hoping that when it hits PC, mods can make up for anything that is lacking in the release edition.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
All the new gameplay clips make it look like Resident Evil now. Not a fan.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Still looks fantastic, they got great actors on board and the gameplay looks perfect.

Haters have made up their mind, sucks for them - I'm eating good!
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
That seeeeems fairly close to the original. Is it just me, or is it definitely hitting something with the "uncanny valley"? There's a very doll-like robotic bit of body language from some of the characters (and they're not necessarily supposed to be that way) that I'm catching, and there's a couple moments in that trailer where I could almost swear an Ai is animating the characters or doing the voiceover....

No, once you try to get over how terrible the new Maria look is and how badly it misses the point, it absolutely looks like something an AI would spit out in terms of unnatural and jittery movement.

As expected, the game looks to be slavishly faithful to the original but worse looking and with poor fitting RE4 combat stapled onto it. A game for pretty much nobody except children who are scared to play a game made before 2013.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm still just surprised they're making this. I mean I know Silent Hill is an IP and these days everything's getting a remake, but SH2 fans are probably above even Sonic fans in the "never pleaseable" scale of fandoms.
light turner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:07 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
As expected, the game looks to be slavishly faithful to the original but worse looking and with poor fitting RE4 combat stapled onto it. A game for pretty much nobody except children who are scared to play a game made before 2013.

People have already pointed out they changed Maria's outfit to be less sexy. I doubt if it'll be truly faithful. Every remake and remaster has changed at least one thing from the original. I don't think the concept of a 'slavishly faithful' remake is even possible when we're talking about media made over 20 years ago when you could do things that just aren't allowed anymore. At least in the west.

2013 is probably too old for some people given we've seen games only 5 years old get remakes/remasters. I haven't been following the remake much but seeing people call it a "Capcom-style remake" as if that's actually a good thing is about all I need to know about it though.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit I buy this deranged Eddie a lot more than the old one. This guy looks like he is on all kinds of watch lists while the original Eddie looked younger, more “normal” and kinda sympathetic. New Eddie also looks like Desmond from Smiling Friends.

There is also plenty to criticize about the game based on first impressions but the weirdest criticism from some fans is that Angela is less attractive. Sorry the victim of childhood abuse isn’t hot??
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY MADE MARIA'S OUTFIT LESS SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ABSOLUTELY RUINED THE POINT OF ORIGINAL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is sarcasm.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I gotta admit I buy this deranged Eddie a lot more than the old one. This guy looks like he is on all kinds of watch lists while the original Eddie looked younger, more “normal” and kinda sympathetic.

The original Eddie (and I could go real deep into spoiler territory but I'll censor) was an odd contradiction of a character - his backstory states he has issues with his self-image and his weight, yet he more or less looks to be the sort of dude-bro that you might have grabbed a beer with on campus. Very much like if he'd put even a small bit of effort into his outfit and barely just tried living even a bit more actively, he'd be unremarkable. He wasn't stereotypically attractive, but he had a "classic campus Americana" vibe to him. When James first encounters him, you have the sense of possibility that there may have been a time in James' life were he might have been friends with someone like Eddie back when he was in highschool or college himself.

When you get to that scene with the gun, it's a big realisation moment that Eddie isn't doing so well the longer he stays in Silent Hill.

I'm quoting the "all kinds of watch lists" post because it is a great exampling of the dilemma this remake is putting me in - the subtly of Eddie's character is kind of removed in this new version. Same as with Angela, PS2 Eddie looked like someone that could probably blend easily into a crowd but the closer you look, you start noticing that something about how he acts isn't quite right. Over the years, I've heard Bloober isn't really good with portraying mental illness and the removal of the subtleties of some of these characters.... it's just such a bizarre change to go from a version of Angela that's worn down and exhausted, possibly even malnourished, to swinging her character design in a different direction.

It just really gives this sinking feeling that media of the future is going to be a bunch of devs and corporations reviving older media while having no clue what the original intent or subtleties of its message were. No person in their right mind is gonna claim a Disney live-action remake is superior to the animated original, but 3D game graphics/mechanics on top of a highly-inferential story could be a recipe for disaster. I get that some concepts might read different in 2024 - it makes more sense for James to have a phone on him rather than a radio these days, but I'd bet they didn't change that, so why the character designs?

I'm still interested in giving it a shot since Silent Hill 2 is one of my fav survival horror games, but I cant fathom my own self being tasked with remaking something like Shattered Memories and subtracting features from the game like the monsters and characters getting more sexual as you go based on your choices - I'd try to add more possibilities since the main cool focus of Shattered Memories was that the game would read the player. I'm just really on the fence about all of this.
Nekbone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:38 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
There is also plenty to criticize about the game based on first impressions but the weirdest criticism from some fans is that Angela is less attractive. Sorry the victim of childhood abuse isn’t hot??

Seems like a fair criticism to me. And I'd say that even if this wasn't a game specifically about sexuality and desires. No one wants to look at unappealing characters, especially if their original version was designed a certain way in the first place.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
It just really gives this sinking feeling that media of the future is going to be a bunch of devs and corporations reviving older media while having no clue what the original intent or subtleties of its message were.

Soulless remakes have been a thing for ages. The earliest examples I experienced were in the 90s like the Psycho or that Inspector Gadget film.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY MADE MARIA'S OUTFIT LESS SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ABSOLUTELY RUINED THE POINT OF ORIGINAL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is sarcasm.

I mean yeah, that's kind of the entire point of her character .She's James' manifestation of sexual frustration over his terminally ill wife. It'd be like if they end up toning down or removing the fat jokes with Eddie because making fat jokes in 2024 is problematic when that's literally his entire thing. If old media is too problematic to be remade faithfully in the current year then maybe don't remake old media. Or at the very least don't act surprised when people think they're spineless for changing things and criticize them for it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
2013 is probably too old for some people given we've seen games only 5 years old get remakes/remasters. I haven't been following the remake much but seeing people call it a "Capcom-style remake" as if that's actually a good thing is about all I need to know about it though.

Calling it a Capcom Style remake also isn’t a bad thing either. This is a particularly interesting criticism given the popularity of many of the Resident Evil remakes.

Nekbone wrote:
Soulless remakes have been a thing for ages. The earliest examples I experienced were in the 90s like the Psycho or that Inspector Gadget film.

The Matthew Broderick IG was an adaptation not a remake. Psycho was a remake but it was ironically criticized for being too faithful to the original film.

funkfoot wrote:
Or at the very least don't act surprised when people think they're spineless for changing things and criticize them for it.

Which doesn’t make sense because if you change elements in a remake or adaptation that were in the original version of something people complain. If you keep everything that was in the original in a remake or adaptation people complain.

If you don’t remake or rerelease a piece of media that people have already consumed people complain.

Anything you do or don’t is going to lead to upset people.

Not to mention not all the “you’re spineless for changing things” crowd are always right or above legitimate criticism like it’s one thing when you’re complaining about how parts of a story in adaptation have to be compressed/skipped over for time or whatever. It’s another thing when you’re complaining about the casting of non white actors in roles where the character was “maybe” Caucasian. Like with Disney has been getting hit with regards to the Live Action Remakes of Little Mermaid & Snow White where the critics are not even trying to hide their racism.
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not to mention not all the “you’re spineless for changing things” crowd are always right or above legitimate criticism like it’s one thing when you’re complaining about how parts of a story in adaptation have to be compressed/skipped over for time or whatever. It’s another thing when you’re complaining about the casting of non white actors in roles where the character was “maybe” Caucasian. Like with Disney has been getting hit with regards to the Live Action Remakes of Little Mermaid & Snow White where the critics are not even trying to hide their racism.

Do you feel the same when the opposite happens like the actress who's playing Nani in the live-action Lilo & Stitch being attacked because social media decided a Hawaiian actress wasn't dark enough to play a Hawaiian character? Some people seem to feel it's okay to dislike people based on skin color as long as you're doing it from the "correct" side.

As for this game specifically I'm waiting until it comes out to see what more they change in this regarding design or narrative. I more than likely won't play it until I see it on sale for 5 bucks on Steam like I did the Resident Evil 2 remake because I know I won't like it as much as the original but like FF7's remake or the upcoming Dead Rising remake these products just feel like the original game with all the edges and interesting bits sanded off in both narrative and gameplay to make them more palpable for modern mainstream gaming audiences. I liked all these games originally because of how unique they originally played and what designs and stories they had. They shouldn't all play and look the same to fit mass appeal. That's boring to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
Do you feel the same when the opposite happens like the actress who's playing Nani in the live-action Lilo & Stitch being attacked because social media decided a Hawaiian actress wasn't dark enough to play a Hawaiian character?

As a black man who has seen the discourse of other blacks hating on light skinned blacks for not being “dark enough”. And the other side which is darker skin blacks being hated on for being “too dark”.

I can say that does sound stupid but not too surprising such a thing exists.

juaifan wrote:
I liked all these games originally because of how unique they originally played and what designs and stories they had

80’s and 90’s games could be rather redundant and cliche in their gameplay design and writing of what little there was. So to be sure the issue of video games playing and looking the same isn’t something that’s been a problem within the last decade or so but at least the last four.

juaifan wrote:
original but like FF7's remake or the upcoming Dead Rising remake these products just feel like the original game with all the edges and interesting bits sanded off in both narrative and gameplay to make them more palpable for modern mainstream gaming audiences.

In the interest of fairness with regards to Dead Rising getting rid of things like the timer is definitely a good thing than a bad. Why you would ever need a timer in a semi open world game never made much sense to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1