• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max Increases Monthly Subscriber Price from US$14.99 to US$15.99

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Boobo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
This copy really should have been updated. You note how CR was part of the re-org but not that it was sold and no longer even part of WarnerMedia....
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I know Warner’s CFO was laying the ground work for this last week, promising higher costs for less stuff as part of a broader market correction, but this is just another piece of bad news for Warner Bros Discovery. Their sole pieces of good news these past few months are Succession set to win all the awards, and The Last of Us getting good reviews across the board. Everything else in box office, financials, show reviews, and ratings has been harsh and that is hardly the time to ask your customers for more money, even if it at this point it seems more to level with inflation.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am definitely canceling my subscription after this. $16 per month is just too much.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
First they cancel a bunch of shows and movies, then they remove dozens of shows they already owned from streaming, and now they're demanding that users pay more to get less.

The arrogance is just baffling, isn't it?
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty ballsy given that it's already quite a bit more expensive than Disney+.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:12 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Pretty ballsy given that it's already quite a bit more expensive than Disney+.

That’s more than I pay for Disney+, Hulu, & ESPN+ combined.

*edited to change less to more.

Last edited by matt78 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:09 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
First they cancel a bunch of shows and movies, then they remove dozens of shows they already owned from streaming, and now they're demanding that users pay more to get less.

Honestly, prices are going up all across the board. Streaming simply isn't all that profitable for companies. It's gotten bad enough that people are unironically going back to cable. The smaller streaming services like Peacock are likely to shut down soon enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the major players (Netflix, Disney+, or HBO Max) shut down streaming within the next few years or so. Amazon is fine though; it's subsidized by people who just want free shipping.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:31 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:

Honestly, prices are going up all across the board. Streaming simply isn't all that profitable for companies. It's gotten bad enough that people are unironically going back to cable. The smaller streaming services like Peacock are likely to shut down soon enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the major players (Netflix, Disney+, or HBO Max) shut down streaming within the next few years or so. Amazon is fine though; it's subsidized by people who just want free shipping.

Everyone thought they could make their own streamer to replace their front-facing network when the market was able to support 3 or 4, not 15. It's why so many of Warner's staff have been rather forward about overspending on their own fiefdoms and the inevitable overcorrection. This doesn't help when some streamers like Paramount + have essentially said the service will work by hook or by crook rather than just sign a new deal with Netflix.

Netflix will probably be very happy about this if one of these services does keel over and its parent company inevitably signs a new deal with them, but that's not necessarily a guarantee that they get it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

peacock will probably be fine...they somehow managed to grab most of the best shows
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
tldr; haven't benefited yet from the competition of all the streaming services, with price going up, and not even getting better service in relation to it.

EDIT: OMG Embarassed, I almost forgot to mention Warrior, the one inspired by a Bruce Lee script. Now that is really good! I'm also looking forward to The Idol (TV series), it is giving me euphoria vibes.

Despite more competition in the streaming market. I haven't felt a benefit to me (the consumer). Instead, I feel like I'm paying more to watch the stuff I like. So basically I have to buy multiple subscriptions.

They are all going up in prices, and not decreasing in prices, while still not improving their video players. They aren't constantly trying to release something good each week to keep me entertained. The only benefit from all the competition was when they were releasing movies day one on the streaming service, instead of us having to wait for the theatre exclusivity was up. But that was more so because of covid19 and they all had to survive somehow.

Would could say there is anime, kdrama, and movies being produce and licensed, who would normally not be made, but Netflix was already doing that. And I really haven't seen a increase. It seems the other streaming services, are basically making stuff they were already going to make.

Another thing I'm thinking, maybe people who act, direct, and make these things are actually being paid more? Then that would be a plus. But if Top management, stock holders, and board of directors are just trying to soak that money up for themselves. Then it is back to being a moot point.

I remember right before Disney Plus launched, how they stripped all the marvel stuff from netflix. Even though that was the 1st time where I saw those movies.

My hope for the future is that there will actually be a turning point. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not feeling it right now.

Btw, to be fair to HBO Max. They do got a couple of series, that has lasted me 3 months, and some classic stuff they own. Some examples, game of thrones, house of dragons, euphoria, matrix, DC Movies, Dune, and john wick. However, as I've critiqued before, they don't release enough fresh content each week for them to justify a price hick. Terrible web player as well. And didn't they even cancel some stuff recently that everyone was mad about?

Lastly, I pray to the heavens, that the Last of Us will be good.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:41 am Reply with quote
Wasn't the price like 9.99 a year ago or so?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1