• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory, Anime Limited Partner to Release B: The Beginning Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Yes now I can get the soundtrack legally.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
Ooooh! Does this mean more anime from Netflix will get a physical Blu-Ray release in the future?! I sure hope it does!!!

Dare I pray for a release of Aggretsuko and Little Witch Academia???
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
It means nothing, honestly.

Apparently the recent release of Hibike! Euphonium movie 3 from Shout, factory and several other movies from them have been theatrical versions of the movies instead of the corrected/fixed Japanese releases. Very disappointed in them. I don't think I can ever buy their home releases again. Just bizarre that they don't even mention this in their advertising.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
I thought it strange that they had US rights despite not having no US division.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Apparently the recent release of Hibike! Euphonium movie 3 from Shout, factory and several other movies from them have been theatrical versions of the movies instead of the corrected/fixed Japanese releases. Very disappointed in them.

I watched my BD copy yesterday, and it looks great. I have no complaints about the visual quality of the movie.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
It means nothing, honestly.

Apparently the recent release of Hibike! Euphonium movie 3 from Shout, factory and several other movies from them have been theatrical versions of the movies instead of the corrected/fixed Japanese releases. Very disappointed in them. I don't think I can ever buy their home releases again. Just bizarre that they don't even mention this in their advertising.

Where have you heard this? It's my first time hearing Shout Factory do anything like this, and so far google isn't showing me commentary on that.

Anyway, good on more companies for showing an interest in buying licenses for Netflix original anime. Hope this will bode well for Violet Evergarden or Devilman Crybaby, or hell even the non-Netflix-original Evangelion (though I guess that show is an altogether more difficult beast to get BD rights to).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Anyway, good on more companies for showing an interest in buying licenses for Netflix original anime. Hope this will bode well for Violet Evergarden or Devilman Crybaby, or hell even the non-Netflix-original Evangelion (though I guess that show is an altogether more difficult beast to get BD rights to).

I'd especially add Little Witch Academia to the list.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Where have you heard this? It's my first time hearing Shout Factory do anything like this, and so far google isn't showing me commentary on that.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=17713957#post17713957

The news about the Sound Euphonium movie came from a Japanese user who imported the set and was later said by someone else in that thread claiming that other Eleven Arts titles have been the same way.....which is news to me since I don't recall hearing anything about animation corrections done for A Silent Voice so if the same happened there, it's not just Shout who got screwed but Nozomi as well.

I don't really care for Shout these days myself but the blame for this should be directed at the actual licensee, Eleven Arts, just like for the whole sub situation with Maquia that affected both releases here.

As for B: The Beginning, it has been almost two years since Anime Limited licensed the show and over a year since the Japanese Blu-ray Box came out so if anything like Euphonium happens here, it makes Anime Limited look worse for taking so long.
anime_andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
Hello!

First forum post here from me, my name's Andrew Partridge and I run Anime Limited. Given it's our debut in the USA directly for home video (two of our vinyl releases out there direct though) I thought I'd set an account up. Looking forward to talking to folks - I'll pop my head in when I can Smile.

Answering with a few points while I am here:

Kougeru wrote:

I can't speak for other labels releases but the masters for B The Beginning distributed by Shout! will be the same as what we created in the UK for the series. The video materials were received after broadcast and homevideo release in Japan so we're using the final international version. We also have the original pilot film, clean op/ed and an interview with the Director recorded during his visit to Scotland on the discs too.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought it strange that they had US rights despite not having no US division.

It's not stopped US companies releasing content in the UK for the best part of 20 years now so we didn't see any harm in going the reverse direction Wink!

In this case we're distributing our larger projects through Shout! while more niche projects we'll run similarly to how we're evolving what we do for vinyl releases (A Silent Voice and FLCL) and seek out direct partners.

We'll be re-gearing our communication to reach out to folks in the USA over the coming months too so stay tuned Smile.

NJ_ wrote:
As for B: The Beginning, it has been almost two years since Anime Limited licensed the show and over a year since the Japanese Blu-ray Box came out so if anything like Euphonium happens here, it makes Anime Limited look worse for taking so long.

It sure would! We are absolutely not infallible but we do try to learn and while you should never say never on things going wrong, I'm confident what happened with Euphonium will not happen here.

- Andrew,
Anime Ltd
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1