• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think of Crunchyroll and Webtoon's Production of Tower of God?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#AaronMalik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
NOTE: I've read the Webtoon.

So, Tower of God is definitely one hell of a story. The anime adaptation of season one is fine but not good. Crunchyroll and Webtoon Could have done a lot better. I'm sorry but that's how i feel.

The anime left some key points too. Like the first episode doesn't tell why Yuri and Evan were there and that they're rankers. It also missed out the stars that rachel sees before she looks at Bam making friends. It also changed the Headon floor finale scene from "Did You See It Miss?" to "I'm looking forward to what happens next" , THAT MISS WAS THERE FOR PURPOSE. These little world building things were left out. Have the script writers not read the webtoon entirely??. This is important information and is missing time to time.
The show was highly rushed. Should have been 16-20 episodes long. Fight scenes were incredibly cut down.

Since this was just the prologue, it won't do much damage to the overall series/seasons to continue if things are taken seriously starting season 2.

I think Crunchyroll should have given this project to Studio BONES or Wit or Studio Trigger or even Madhouse. Trigger and BONES would have killed for it.

Telecom Animation has a good resume but still isn't the top studio. But even more important thing WAS THE STAFF. Takashi Sano - Hmmm... Okay but Yuzuru Tachikawa would've killed for it. Script by Erika Yoshida - ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Such an important project that demands experience in thrill, action and mystery genre given to Yoshida san??????? who most often writes for romance stuff. Writers like Hiroshi Seko, Kenichi, the one behind steins;gate would be perfect because they've experience on such stuff. Handing out such incredible project to her - well no wonder the season wasn't up to my expectations.

I am not saying to fire the staff. but add more. like add a new chief director, more script writers from the ones i mentioned. Add more storyboard people. Bring in more talent. You can even change the studio if you want to.

OTHER THING - The Animation can be improved. I like this style but please atleast do the outlines properly - look like mspaint at times.
AND SEASON 2 MUST HAVE 100 EPISODES IN CONTINUITY. If it goes with 13/25 episode format then tower of god is destined to suck. Do it with parts - 25 episodes per cour. Season 2 - 4 parts or 8 whatever you want so that season 2 can cover everything entirely. THERE'S A REASON TOKYO GHOUL SECOND SEASON SUCKED.

Also it'd be good if you could have a separate director for fight scenes if the fight scenes are gonna be cut down in season 2 as well. Most popular shows have multiple scripters for different episodes, why does ToG just have one?? Put in some money and add good talent.

Music is really well. Now if the season format/ staff can change then Tower of God will rapidly climb to the top of Tower of Anime.

When CR Originals were announced, i was happy that those TOP shows that didn't have anime adapt. were finally getting it but after watching ToG, it seems like CR just wants to get them adapted as soon as possible without paying attention to how it's being done. So, if you're adapting good shows, YOU MUST HAVE A KILLER STAFF not a mediocre script writer who barely has any experience with the ToG genre.

Now i'm scared if CR adapts Solo Leveling, they'll go with a studio that isn;t experienced in the genre and mediocre staff. Takashi Sano indeed has a good resume but since you're giving him a directorial job his resume MUST have good experience in directing too and it doesn't have that.

Solo Leveling can be adapted in a good way by BONES or Madhouse and good action directors like Tetsuro Araki (who have good action genre experience) & writers of Kabaneri and VINLAND SAGA. NOW IMAGINE GIVING SOLO LEVELING TO STUDIO SEVEN ARCS. THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE DONE WITH TOWER OF GOD. Please for god's sake give ToG the superior treatment it needs.

IN A NUTSHELL:

- Terrible Script writer with barely ANY experience with thrill and ToG genre.
- A director who's new to directing and not ready for such a huge project right off the bat.
- Not a good studio for the task. BONES, Trigger or Madhouse are the ones who deserved it.
- Highly rushed. requires cours format.
- Needs more love.

For new productions like Solo Leveling-

- Don't hand it to Seven Arcs or some other down level studio. BONES,Madhouse, J.C. Staff are perfect for it.
- Requires a staff that has experience with TOP ACTION SERIES.
Kevin Penkin or Yutaka Yamada are most suited for music.

If you're adapting top series, you need a staff with experience.

This is just how i feel. In case i'm wrong somewhere, please correct me and tell me what you think. All comments are welcome!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the Webtoon and I bailed after about episode 6. Just wasn't holding my interest. There were some things I liked but in the end they weren'tt enough to overcome my general "I don't care-ness."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching early on too. I gave it a try, but it lost my interest like the times I have given a Webtoon a read. I don't know if it is a product of being from a webtoon, but there just might be something I find unappealing about the way these sorts of stories come across.

My complaints come from that I don't like the sort of pallets that just feel washed out to me and designs that just feel off to me, like a lot of the Chinese production anime. I felt like the characterisation came across as weak, like we were meant to like charmless main character who does stuff, think loud lizard man is funny because he is a loud lizard man that makes faces. And also like such fascinating characters as boy with school bag of stuff, guy that sleeps with a blanket all the time, and so on characters that feel far too mismatched from each other.

I find characterisation and story weird, like things happen largely to show a character they want and a plot point, regardless of how it fit in a character's journey. Like how the main character seems mostly out of his depth and not want to kill anyone, but when thrown into the battle royale he started pretty much threatening his sword at some guy that had done absolutely nothing, just to show another character as wise for saying the big guy was no threat. It just felt weird how his actions of not wanting any harm that is supposed to make him special, was kind of out of step.

I did kind of quit after the random side characters who only seemed there to fail were picking fights with the people running the whole ordeal, like they were not strong enough to pass the challenge but thought they were tough shit to threaten them.
#AaronMalik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
Okay. TO BOTH OF YOU, PLEASE PLEASE Don't drop the series. I promise you that you'll end up with TOTALLY different views after watching Episode 13 - That's where the real stuff will happen. It'll become one of your favorite shows. So please watch it complete. Trust me just this once.

What i am talking about here is the little details that were omitted by the script writer. The anime is still great so please don't drop it. Till Ep 10, it won't make much sense but after ep13 you'll be left with nothing but urge for S2
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
@AaronMalik - you could very well be right, but I don't think I'll ever find out for myself. I have a real problem with shows that need 13 episodes to get really good. I'm simply not that patient. Plus, I have a huge backlog of titles I own on DVD or Blu-ray, a ton of Netflix anime I haven't seen, and backlogs in other places. I have way more content than I can handle so the thought of slogging through 7 episodes to get to when things get "good" holds very little appeal to me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
#AaronMalik wrote:
Okay. TO BOTH OF YOU, PLEASE PLEASE Don't drop the series. I promise you that you'll end up with TOTALLY different views after watching Episode 13 - That's where the real stuff will happen. It'll become one of your favorite shows. So please watch it complete. Trust me just this once.

I haven't watched Tower of God, but the "It gets better I swear!!" kind of argument is something I've seen a bazillion times and it's never been a particularly convincing one. Speaking for myself, if a show bores me to sleep it becomes practically impossible for the show to make some kind of miraculous comeback. If I'm bored out of my mind, I'm not gonna be in a mood to really care about any story developments.

Now I'm personally a bit interested in Tower of God. Blood- and Dusky not liking the show is a bit of a red flag for me, but the eternally wise userbase of MyAnimeList has rated the show at about 8 which is quite promising. I'll probably check it out at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
@ Cam0 - yes, please don't use me as any kind of guide! I'm the same dude who bailed on the second season of Hero Academia in the first few episodes, who only watched about an eppie and a half of Mob Psycho 100 before pulling the cord (even though it was by the creator of One Punch Man which I adore) and, while recognizing Cowboy Bebop's merits, still feel "meh" about the show. In fact, you might be better off going in the opposite direction of me!
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
Hey man, I didn't find Cowboy Bebop to be particularly great either. Not to worry though, I wouldn't put too much faith in a guy that has rated Re:Zero as merely decent. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
And I was being generous!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
And I think that Your Lie in April is just the worst and very vocal with my opinions on it, while considering something like Time Travel Shoujo as very underappreciated and something I decided to focus on during its season. My assumption has been that my taste is weird in regards to Tower of God, since it has gotten attention and I don't understand why.

Honestly I don't understand popularity of most such shows this season, like Gleipnir, Listeners, Sing "Yesterday" For Me, or Woodpecker Detective's Office. I have been more enjoying Shachibato! President, It's Time for Battle!, which I admit I feel like only half doing so because not much happens in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
I also didn't continue after the 6th episode, it didn't really catch my interest. Instead of watching I just rest for a while on my mattress https://bestmattressesreviews.org/ since I was tired of cleaning the house.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1