• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone hyped over Afro Samurai?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepon05

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
I was plesantly surprised when I heard that Samuel L. Jackson was going to star in this new series based of a manga called Afro Samurai. At first I thought it was a joke but afer seeing the trailer for it, I starting looking at Spike TV's website for it and now I can't wait for the show to come out. I am not sure whether or not it can be called anime even though Gonzo is contributing to the making of the show but it looks pretty damn close. Plus my boi the RZA is making music for the show so you know its off the chain! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
You know, I thought the hype for this show would be show much bigger since it has Samuel in it, but nobody really seems to care. And after seeing that 7-minute clip, it looks like this show will just be about a bunch of black samurai (WTF?) cursing at each other and spilling ridiculously large amounts of blood.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, Samuel L? It's a shame that the trailer I saw didn't caught my interest.

But actually, I don't like when they convert anime into a movie with real human beings etc. Why? It's only about the money.

EDIT: *anime -> manga
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm eagerly looking forward to it, Not because Samuel jackson is in it but that the project itself looks interesting. It reminds me of that little scene in the boondocks when we had Huey agaisnt that Blind samurai guy. And i don't mind when they curse, it's really funny sometimes.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
So, is this an anime or an animated series? Laughing Twisted Evil
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm hyped for this. Not only is it samurai (I generally tend to like samurai animes), but the name Samuel Jackson alone got me very interested in this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
I'm eagerly looking forward to it, Not because Samuel jackson is in it but that the project itself looks interesting. It reminds me of that little scene in the boondocks when we had Huey agaisnt that Blind samurai guy. And i don't mind when they curse, it's really funny sometimes.

Don't forget about Bushido Brown, he was badass too heh. I'm looking forward to it because the clipped looked pretty good. I'd want to check out the first few episodes to see if it's worth it or not.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
im looking forward to it and they are airing the first episode on the website all day new years eve
Canuckian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I'd want to check out the first few episodes to see if it's worth it or not.

Currently the show is only planned for 5 Episodes...
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I sure am hyped over it. I can't wait to catch it next year.

And yes, Afro does look similar to Samurai Huey from The Boondocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
deepon05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
I thought this anime reminded me of samurai champloo mixed with basilisk (both extremely good anime in their own right). That whole samurai huey with the blind swordsman fight was pretty cool too. Especially when the RZA made the music for that too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

This is a anime series that is premiering in America before it shows in Japan.

And yes I want to see this series Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

It's an anime because it's done by studio Gonzo. And more importantly I am very interested in how the RZA does with the Soundtrack. The one trailer I did see had some very smooth sounds.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too excited about it but what I am hyped about is the soundtrack. RZA is doing most the music for the series and I always like his beats. I'm just hoping the series has a strong storyline to backup the animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
I'm not too excited about it but what I am hyped about is the soundtrack. RZA is doing most the music for the series and I always like his beats. I'm just hoping the series has a strong storyline to backup the animation.

I agree, personally I am not into Rap/R&B but the RZA has done some great work with different soundtracks. I've got some high hopes for this as I hope my friends will like it so that I can bring some different anime for movie night. And it's good for the anime industry if a show like Afro Samurai does well, hopefully more anime will premiere over here or be animated for the purpose of US broadcast.

Delta
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2