• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Story Continuity???

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybug39

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the first Gundam series, the Universal Century one. Now, is it just me, or are there some serious continuity errors in this series? People come and go, and there is no "why" to it.

Some episodes seem to be in the wrong order. Now this could be because the sleeve and the disc were not put together correctly.

Thanks.

[/spoiler]
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
well there are sometimes parts of a series that are preludes
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
it depends on what series your watching, like any other with that many episodes (when you combine them all) theres going to be continuity issues. But Wikipedia has (or had) a good timeline for all the shows. You should check it out.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
In Chronological order (US releases only, not counting Manga):

* Mobile Suit Gundam (September, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (October, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: A War in the Pocket (December, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (UC0083)
* Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UC0087)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (UC0093)
* Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (UC0122)
* G-Saviour (UC223) (Thought officially disowned by Tomino-sensei.)

If you include "official" canon stuff:

* Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO (January, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam (September, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (October, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: A War in the Pocket (December, UC0079)
* Gundam the Ride: A Baoa Qu (December, UC0079)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (UC0083)
* Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UC0087)
* Gundam Neo Experience 0087: Green Divers (UC0087)
* Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (UC0088)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (UC0093)
* Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (UC0122)
* Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (UC0153)
* G-Saviour (UC223) (Thought still officially disowned by Tomino-sensei.)

And if you can read Japanese:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:UCtimeline-zh.jpg
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think he's having any sort of problem with the entire timeline. He said he's watching First Gundam.

Could you be a little more specific as to what continuity errors you're witnessing? I usually watch the movie trilogy and haven't actually seen the TV series in years, but I don't recall any serious continuity errors. The chronology of the show is pretty straightforward, so if you feel like some episodes are out of order, chances are you actually did watch the episodes out of the correct order. What are some of the specific continuity problems? Which episodes seemed to be out of order?
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, disc two, the spoiler[guy with his arm in a sling.] Where was this person in disc one? What happened? Where did he disappear to? I had to watch two before one, unless I wanted to wait a week for Netflix.

Also, and this could be that someone mixed the discs with the wrong sleeves. Gee, as if that hasn't happened before with Netflix. Should return an adult video next time I rent a G rated movie. So I was thinking that Amuro was beingspoiler[ punished] after thespoiler[ punishment] was over. As I said can't be sure, discs are already returned.

Yes, I am not too worried about which arc follows next, that can be found out.

There have been other moments with continuity within the Mobile Suit Gundam, Universal Century, that have had me wonder.

Also, am glad that anime writers are not in charge at the Pentagon.
Oronae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

That's not Japanese. It's Chinese(I assume). Note the distinct lack of anything but kanji.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I have this feeling that with Netflix, I am going to have a lot of holes unfilled about the Gundam universe. Even if I figure out why the guy with his arm in a sling was there.

It was a one armed man who did it!
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Okay, disc two, the spoiler[guy with his arm in a sling.] Where was this person in disc one? What happened? Where did he disappear to? I had to watch two before one, unless I wanted to wait a week for Netflix.

Wow, that's way too vague for me to offer an answer, given how long it's been since I watched the TV show or movies. Maybe someone who's seen the show more recently can answer it, or maybe you could give me a few more details. Was he a Fed or Zeon? Which specific episode did you first see him in on disc 2?

Quote:
Also, and this could be that someone mixed the discs with the wrong sleeves. Gee, as if that hasn't happened before with Netflix. Should return an adult video next time I rent a G rated movie. So I was thinking that Amuro was beingspoiler[ punished] after thespoiler[ punishment] was over. As I said can't be sure, discs are already returned.

More specifically?

I don't remember anything confusing there, so you're probably right that someone put the wrong disc in there, but I dunno. Too vague and my memory at this point is too spotty for me to say.
goins007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
I have this feeling that with Netflix, I am going to have a lot of holes unfilled about the Gundam universe. Even if I figure out why the guy with his arm in a sling was there.

It was a one armed man who did it!

Why are you blaming netflix? Just because you got the wrong DVD doesn't mean that it's going to leave holes. You just get on the website say "I got the wrong DVD" and sent that one back and they will mail you the proper one. I've been using netflix for over 2 years now and I've had that happen maybe 3 times.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The guy with his arm in a sling, was in the first episode in disc two. Whichever episode number that was.

Netflix, doesn't have every Gundam title in its' catalog. That's why the holes.

Yeah, I wish I could be more specific. But having sent the discs in, so I could watch more of the series, to find out if things would fall into place. I should know better to watch anime without taking notes. One of these days.......

But, didn't you feel as you watched this series, that things seemed kind of disjointed? The Latin for this feeling is en media res, in the middle of the thing.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
The guy with his arm in a sling, was in the first episode in disc two. Whichever episode number that was.

Netflix, doesn't have every Gundam title in its' catalog. That's why the holes.

Yeah, I wish I could be more specific. But having sent the discs in, so I could watch more of the series, to find out if things would fall into place. I should know better to watch anime without taking notes. One of these days.......

But, didn't you feel as you watched this series, that things seemed kind of disjointed? The Latin for this feeling is en media res, in the middle of the thing.

I never felt that it was disjointed. It's certainly got some random standalone episodes thrown in throughout the show that mess with the pacing a little bit, but that never bothered me.

My only guess as to the guy in the sling is that it's someone who joined White Base when it was stopped at Luna 2 (episode 4 if memory serves, which I believe was the final episode of disc 1). They picked up Reed there and maybe someone else (memory is fuzzy). I feel like Reed might have been in a sling, but I could just be making things up. Or it could have been someone else they picked up. I'd love to check my DVDs, but unfortunately I'm at my parents' house for Christmas, so they're not available at the moment. It'd be great if someone who's watched the movies or TV show more recently than I have could maybe offer some insight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1