• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What have you stopped watching and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Reasons why you have stopped watching a show can be just as interesting as reasons why you keep watching.

It could be as simple as not being in your wheelhouse, or mediocre, or stupid, daily schedule too crowded or....
It could just really be terrible in your opinion.

The possibilities are endless.

The reasons why you stop following are not necessarily a negative. Like deciding to wait for series Completion (marathon), Dub, Physical release, etc.

I stopped at the halfway point of Parasyte, because I knew I would own it, and wanted to share watching the 2nd half for the first time with friends.

This thread should mainly apply to streaming, but can encompass Physical and Rental as well.

Personally, I have never totally ceased viewing something I already own, but I have taken really LONG periods of time away between episodes of a title.

I have dropped a few series started via Netflix, due to story not grabbing me, and/or missing discs with no streaming option.

Currently most drop notices are put in the What are you Watching thread, or in each series’ Anime thread or Episode review thread. A consolidated location might give others a place to find shows to avoid or check based on your reason for stopping.

I have thought about creating this thread for some time and decided to put it on the board before the new season starts.

Personally, For the Current Season that is wrapping up:

Gatchman Crowds insight: I watched the episode 0 on CR, I will be buying this on Blu-ray anyway so I stopped after that.

Prison School: Episode 1. Just not my type of show/and it is on the Funimation platform. The masochism angle I always find tiresome and I thought the show was not entertaining enough to me to put up with the hassle of watching it on the Roku.

Aoharu X Machinegun: Episode 6. I may be burnt out on paintball. I was only watching for the exchange when the main characters gender was revealed, but it never came (of course the rival figured it out immediately!). Ouran got that bit of silliness done with in the 1st episode.

Rokka: Episode 4. Just lost interest when the two split up and two new braves came in. I will probably revisit in marathon mode, if the reviews indicate that it might be worth the effort.

Shimoneta: I think it episode 5? I will wait for a dub. The rapid fire bleeped dialog in a nonnative language left me completely stone faced, which for a comedy is not good. Judging from what I have caught about the future direction, I will find some good situational humor, but this series did a poor job starting out in my opinion.

Gangsta.: Episode 7. This show is ok, I think I will enjoy it better with a dub and a Physical release. As it is, it kept getting bumped by other choices until I was 2 episode behind with no desire to catch up.

Chaos Dragon: Episode 10. Arguably the best episode (Lou vs Ulrika). I thought this show would have worked as a picture drama. As it was mainly interested in hitting plot branching points. I was kind of enjoying how bad of a narrative it was turning into and then we hit this well animated fight sequence. There was zero chance Lou would lose, and there was also zero chance the claw would be in the case. It was all pointless. It was a revelation! I continued following the reviews though.

So, what have you stopped watching, and Why?
Assumingorsomething

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Rokka definitely is worth getting back to, even though the final episode is a bit 'eh' and the reveal is a bit predictable. Would highly recommend it now that its finished.

For me? I dropped out of Death Note because I got to a point where I thought it was too damn unbelievable with far too many massive leaps of faith by the apparently genius characters that really made no sense half the time.

I also dropped Gundam Stardust Memories because that anime is just torture with an awful, whiny anime hero who barely does any good but everyone treats him like a hero. It really just broke me with one scene where his mess up caused a space ship to be destroyed and then everyone apologised to him and acted like it was his fault.

I don't really drop things totally though. I finished the Death Note manga and plan to finish the anime eventually just to get it off MAL's drop list. Gundam I plan to finish at some point but that is gonna be awful.

Considering dropping Sword Art Online now since it is just awful. That'll be like the third time I've dropped it though. Just can't finish that anime.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The only anime I have ever attempted dropping were the original Nanoha, Brave of Gold Goldran, and Infinite Ryvius; the first one because of loli fan service that freaked me out and the other two because they were BORING. (capitols necessary) Eventually I did finish them though. The only other anime that came close was Gundam Age because nobody but me finds Asemu and his school nonsense dull and what sentenced this series to mediocrity hell. Yes Kio was stupidly naive, yes the 100 year setting was poorly executed, yes there was writing problems, but this WAS the downhill slope; virtually every problem with Age (aside from whoever the hell thought killing off Desil half way through was a smart idea) can somehow be traced back to him, super pirato or not. The saddest part is that there will never be a Thielva high grade, only Nadesico NTR in SRW BX. Sad
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm let's see...

Most recently I decided to put Sailor Moon on hold - 30 episodes in. I find it funny enough and relaxing to follow, but it tends to get repetitive - especially the fight scenes. Another reason for stopping is that I want to have something to fall back on, in case I can't find anything else worth watching at some point. Usagi certainly has an energy that'll make you smile no matter what. Think of it as putting a little sunshine into the vault to enjoy on rainy days. Wink

YuYu Hakusho is another show that I dropped, but for an altogether different reason. I simply got tired of the poor sound quality of the original japanese dub, after 8 episodes, and haven't watched it since. I'm not sure whether the sound eventually gets better as the show progresses, or if the english dub is any better, but I have no desire to resume it anytime soon. Sad

I'm not really sure why I didn't continue with InuYasha, because I really enjoyed that series. For some reason I stopped watching after episode 24. I guess I must've gotten sidetracked by another series and simply forgot about it for a while (sometime back in in june 2013.) *whistles innocently*

Finally there's One Piece, which I followed "enthusiasticly" for 10 episodes, before realizing that the series went on for some 800 episodes and finally coming to the conclusion that: No, I wasn't THAT motivated to finish it. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another chance in the future? Laughing
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This show has an overall good reception so my rejection is probably due to bad timing. I started watching this when season 2 aired and then "endless eight" happened.

Attack on Titan: Main character was still crying in episode 3 and I'm not that patient. Nothing against drama but it may be a good idea to give a bit of charisma to your characters first.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Episode 8 just pissed me off Mad. But after a year I recovered and finished it with extreme joy.

Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto: Besides the excessive glamour the story was pretty messed up. But I endured 19 episodes thanks to monochrome.

Gundam AGE: I watched this and now I hate kids.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
Hmm let's see...

Most recently I decided to put Sailor Moon on hold - 30 episodes in. I find it funny enough and relaxing to follow, but it tends to get repetitive - especially the fight scenes. Another reason for stopping is that I want to have something to fall back on, in case I can't find anything else worth watching at some point. Usagi certainly has an energy that'll make you smile no matter what. Think of it as putting a little sunshine into the vault to enjoy on rainy days. Wink

YuYu Hakusho is another show that I dropped, but for an altogether different reason. I simply got tired of the poor sound quality of the original japanese dub, after 8 episodes, and haven't watched it since. I'm not sure whether the sound eventually gets better as the show progresses, or if the english dub is any better, but I have no desire to resume it anytime soon. Sad

I'm not really sure why I didn't continue with InuYasha, because I really enjoyed that series. For some reason I stopped watching after episode 24. I guess I must've gotten sidetracked by another series and simply forgot about it for a while (sometime back in in june 2013.) *whistles innocently*

Finally there's One Piece, which I followed "enthusiasticly" for 10 episodes, before realizing that the series went on for some 800 episodes and finally coming to the conclusion that: No, I wasn't THAT motivated to finish it. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another chance in the future? Laughing

Totally agree on YYH's Japanese dub. Try Funimation's dub. It's one of their best early efforts.

I recently dropped Monster Musume at episode 8. I mean... it's just another boring harem show that repeats the same five jokes a billion times. There's a few entertaining things, but it doesn't come close to redemption to me.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yuri Kumi Arashi around episode 5 because its obtuseness finally crossed my frustration threshold. I don't find a show entertaining when it seems more in love with symbolism than actually telling a story, where I have to have almost everything explained to me so I can make sense of it. And I don't like Ikuhara's style in general (though I did tough it out through Utena), so my tolerance level wasn't high to begin with.

Ushiho & Tora after episode 4 because I just didn't have time to keep up with it. (A vacation + the start of school hit right after that point.) Not ruling out catching up on that one eventually, though, as it looks like a fun series.

(Actually, the latter happens 1-2 times per season on average.)

I never got more than halfway through Papillon Rose because it was just that awful.

Going back into the days when singles were still routinely released, there were several series that I just lost interest in after the first volume (often because it was an ill-advised blind-buy). Shuffle and Hakugei - The Legend of Moby Dick were two that I recall off the top of my head, but there were almost certainly a handful of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Putting Sailor Moon on hold for now at Sailor Moon R. I'm waiting until I can get the DVD at my local Best Buy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I never got more than halfway through Papillon Rose because it was just that awful.

You know me and you know I love my fanservice and T&A. I agree with you on Papillon Rose though. I just couldn't do it. I tried. I tried to embrace it. But I just couldn't. It made my head hurt too much. Much like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Much like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue.

Hey, don't be dissin' my DitBB! As bad as big stretches of it are, it is at least still funny at times, and I liked the story which developed late concerning spoiler[Elpida] enough that I actually occasionally rewatch the second half. The OVA episode is a hoot, too.

Really, if you never finished that one, tough it out. The last half-dozen or so episodes make up for a lot of the earlier crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching One Piece around episode... something. Just after the end of Fishman Island arc. I stopped watching so that I could marathon through an entire arc at once, but I just never got around to continuing that show. Now the episodes just keep piling up and I just can't find the motivation to start grinding through the episodes. It doesn't help that I keep hearing about some kind of pacing issues. That show always had painfully slow pacing so the grind just doesn't sound appetizing now.

There are a lot of other shows that I stopped watching, but one I'm fairly certain I won't be returning to is Banner of the Stars. I found the first season to be decent so I was hoping it would get better considering where the plot was going. Unfortunately I couldn't keep going and I stopped watching at around episode 6. The show introduced some boring male twins who spent most of the time speaking about... something (philosophy maybe? I was sleeping through most of their dialogue so I don't even remember what they were talking about). To make matters worse the dialogue was difficult to follow because I couldn't tell which of those twin's was speaking. It was literally Hatake Kakashi's VA talking to himself. The dudes looked exactly the same. The pacing was extremely slow and, unlike 1st season, there was a lot more focus on uninteresting side characters. I was trying to force myself through all of it, hoping there would be some kind of payoff at the end, but I couldn't make it that far. I'll just have to accept that show is not for me.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
ShiroYo wrote:
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This show has an overall good reception so my rejection is probably due to bad timing. I started watching this when season 2 aired and then "endless eight" happened.

That is amazing bad timing. Laughing

I dropped so many show, there's three way I usually drop a show. One is because its so ridiculously bad I can't subject myself to it anymore (I don't want to hate watch, recent example being chaos dragon).

Two is because over the year I've accumulated a decent collection of anime/manga, so when I'm feeling like watching one it has to compete with me re watching older stuff, if it's too generic it'll often fall below in "entertainment value" then re watching something I already saw (example, I dropped Gangsta around episode 3 because it felt like an inferior black lagoon, so I just started watching black lagoon).

This reason is because I feel like a lot of anime are just beyond terrible at doing ending, so when I sense that the ending is gonna be terrible, like say miracle fix everything and bad guys suddenly as a case of being very stupid, I just drop it. I think the latest that I did that was Amagi brilliant park. There's so many example of show I wish I did that, like Jormungand.

Other big popular show I guess would be Log horizon, which over relied on "everybody but the main character is a moron" and because it felt like it was written by someone who got to max level in an mmo and genuinely believed that they'd master it and could therefore write about mmo.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
This reason is because I feel like a lot of anime are just beyond terrible at doing ending, so when I sense that the ending is gonna be terrible, like say miracle fix everything and bad guys suddenly as a case of being very stupid, I just drop it. I think the latest that I did that was Amagi brilliant park.

That's not the way ABP ends at all.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That's not the way ABP ends at all.

I was just giving a general explanation, amagi is just the latest anime I dropped at the end (I think episode 10 or 11). In its case it was because I never cared for the main story or the character themselves (especially the two main female protagonist) I was pretty much just watching the show for the comedy aspect and more specifically the mascot character hi jinx. The latest episode seem like it was going to be focus on the story and the main character relationship with the princess, I didn't want to end the anime on the aspect I found the least interesting.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Slayers at episode 14 or so. More 90's anime caught my attention. At the moment, the great Rurouni Kenshin is what I'm devoting time too.

I personally prefer Kenshin over Vash. He seems less... up his butt about his principles. Plus, where as Vash is just taking Rem's word for it, Kenshin has killed before and knows the weight of life.

While I say that, I think I prefer the Trigun Manga over Kenshin so far, though the Kyoto arc might end up changing my mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3